Mandarin Oriental to Occupy Laem Singh Beach

stuarty

Whatever - I am happy to have moved away from Phuket. This place is really going down. I remember Laem Singh about 24 years ago as a nice beach, before the road was build and it was a unpaved trail over the hill from Patong. The pictures were taken 1994. kamalaroad.jpg.778094457003daed73af79dc904a540d.jpglaemsing.jpg.fa6f7b5fca347aefcd9a10d9a3ed677f.jpg

After they built the highway Laem Singh was doomed.

Edited by hkt83100
typo corrected.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, phuketrichard said:

I doubt that photo was in 94, as i recall its been a real road since i have been here (' 85)

Nope. Been here since 1991 and in the first years here it was this unpaved trail from Patong to Kamala. In rainy season it was real adventure drive to Kamala.

Imho they built the road in ~ 94/95.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

It will be same as Le Méridien , Amanpuri >>>sorta private beach

Construction along that road will mean its gong to be a <deleted> trip for the new shuttle bus from the ariport and anyone wishing to travel by the beach road

No worse than it is at present with the abortion going up at the north end of Kamala- I seem to cope. Traffic was slow all the way back to Suring this morning with 18 wheelers carrying stuff into there and whatever the new fantasea pro

ject is.

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2018 at 8:33 PM, hkt83100 said:

Whatever - I am happy to have moved away from Phuket. This place is really going down. I remember Laem Singh about 24 years ago as a nice beach, before the road was build and it was a unpaved trail over the hill from Patong. The pictures were taken 1994. kamalaroad.jpg.778094457003daed73af79dc904a540d.jpglaemsing.jpg.fa6f7b5fca347aefcd9a10d9a3ed677f.jpg

After they built the highway Laem Singh was doomed.

Well it seemed to stagger on until just the other year.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

The municipality/province should force developers to include a small & free public access laneway to this beach(and any other cutoff beaches” before granting any building permits.

Its now or never.

I found the headline very telling unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mysterion said:

The municipality/province should force developers to include a small & free public access laneway to this beach(and any other cutoff beaches” before granting any building permits.

Its now or never.

In addition, and this is common sense....

- going forward,  all NEW commercial and residential buildings should be made to have functioning liquid waste mgt systems and/or pay a hefty development levy to fund municipal sewage treatment systems in the town they reside at.

easy peazy and effective.

16 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Its now or never.

WHY? Le Méridien  didn't
surfers had to walk down the hill

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

WHY? Le Méridien  didn't
surfers had to walk down the hill

They should have made le meridien set aside free public laneway access also, but they didnt, and it was a huge mistake, and now its probably too late to change it.

The point is, any NEW commerical or residential beach developments should provide public beach access going forward, or NO building permit will be granted.

In addition. all new buildings acrosss the island should pay a significant development levy to specifically fund wastewater treatement facilities in those areas.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, Mysterion said:

They should have made le meridien set aside free public laneway access also, but they didnt, and it was a huge mistake, and now its probably too late to change it.

The point is, any NEW commerical or residential beach developments should provide public beach access going forward, or NO building permit will be granted.

In addition. all new buildings acrosss the island should pay a significant development levy to specifically fund wastewater treatement facilities in those areas.

I believe Club Med were required to put in the beach side road and a walkway through their grounds all those years ago.

Greed at the expense of all others became rampant more recently.

• Like 2