My positive experience with Thai Elite Visa

9 minutes ago, roath said:

I read recent reports that DLT are only giving out 2 year DL replacements now for Thai Elite holders rather than 5 year which would be a significant disadvantage of the Elite visa over a standard non-immigrant visa. 

Has always been like this because Thai Elite visa counts as tourist visa.

But i don't see how this is a "significant" disadvantage, this is more like a minor nuisance

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ratt Thai said:

I think i must have been reading so many "less pleasant" experiences here on Thai Visa about getting extensions, visa's, must have's, don't do's, don't forget's..

Yes, and I suspect "encouraging" people to do what you did, or pay agents, is exactly why these "less pleasant" experiences occur.  Similar to hassling people at the airport.  No other reason makes any economic sense.

The "agent" solution also gets rid of the same troubles, though - and if you have legit financials (obviously you do), it isn't an illegal or "grey-area" move (as it is for many who use agents).  

To each their own, of course.

3 hours ago, BMW Overlander said:

Doubt there is a single Elite Visa holder in Thailand who doesn't travel at least once across the border within 12 months.

One didn't, and posted here about finding out he was on a long overstay, when he went in for a 90-day report.  Seems the Elite folks, who were doing his 90-day reports for him, didn't catch it until it was too late.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you are trying to say. The two are not the same.

The PE visa allows unlimited one year entries for 5 years.

If you have a extension of stay based upon marriage or retirement you have to apply for an new extension every year and supply all the required documents and financial proof it you want to stay longer than a year. And a re-entry permit it you want to travel.

With a PE visa it is your choice as to to either leave and re-enter the country for another year of stay or apply for a one year extension with no other proof than the PE visa in your passport. I would guess that most people with a PE visa travel at least once during the year and would never need to apply for an extension.

I understand that they are not exactly the same, but they are very similar. And my paperwork for my extension is minimal to say the least.

But above all it has to be done. So my point was that anyone with this expensive Elite Visa who wants to stay more than one year without leaving will still have to go to immigration and get it done. The OP was suggesting that not having to go to immigration was one of the main advantages of this Elite Visa. But that only seems to be the case if you actually want to leave at least once a year.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mansell said:

$30,000 for this visa.....of course up to you, your money. I look at it a bit like the difference between buying a Mercedes or a Toyota or a Mazda or whatever. Personally I would just buy a regular car and spend the rest of the money saved traveling.....and the same with the million baht for the visa. I would take a cruise around the world or an around the world plane trip stopping at the places of my choice. Just my thinking.

I would too. But I dare say that those who actually get an Elite Visa can afford to buy the visa and take the cruise. Still, to me it does seem a lot to pay for very little benefit. Anyone who can use the other extras like the car to the airport and the fast track there would be getting more value, of course, but I live too far away to get the car and I get the fast track anyway by flying business class (which I can pay for from the savings I make on not buying an Elite Visa).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rama said:

sure you had quick turnaround. for 1 mil baht I would hope so. You might want to ask them exactly how many people have signed up for the elite program...

'Over 6,000 members', in June 2018, I was told by a TE rep at BKK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, galt67 said:

In BKK and Pattaya, Thai Elite will do the reports for you. Free of charge.

Yes, I speak from experience.

My wife does mine also free of charge have'nt personly done a ninety day for at least the last three or four, IO even tell her i don't need to be there, this is at Jom Chien and yes i speak from experience also, but good luck with your elite visa it's your choice!

• Like 2

Great choice  for those who have money enough to pay the fee and not worry .

It is about the price of a nice SUV or a third of a regular condo or a small house I Chiangmai. So I think it is not a choice for a retiree with an average pension.

But I talked to  a businessman that had an Elite visa and he pay not to have to deal with the Immigration hassle. 

Money is not a problem  for him. Travel in business and kids goes to private school to.

Note: He showed me the Elite visa in his passport as I never saw one. The overall color was  green instead of blue like other visa, so Immigration Officers can spot the Elite visa quickly.

He told me he travel out of Thailand often, so almost never do the 90 days report. No TM 30 as he live in Bangkok.

Ad as a perk a free limousine is provided every time he goes to the airport or come back home. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AsiaHand said:

I know many that have been retired here that haven't left in over 20 years.

I gained PR more than 2 decades ago, have travelled often to many regional countries, haven't been back to my original country for 24 years. 

Edited by scorecard

If you have a million baht to throw away then why not it’s up to the individual for myself I am okay spending about 3/4 hours once a year preparing and applying for my yearly extension of stay. I could understand if those who have this membership were exempt from doing the 90 day report but there not .

18 hours ago, roath said:

I read recent reports that DLT are only giving out 2 year DL replacements now for Thai Elite holders rather than 5 year which would be a significant disadvantage of the Elite visa over a standard non-immigrant visa. 

18 hours ago, roath said:

Not in my case. I received 5 years DL in Phuket without any problems.

However, when I requested IDP (International Driving Permit) DLT told me my Elite Visa is considered Tourist Visa and as such I am ineligible for IDP. It has to be Non-O or Non-B visa, she said.

I went straight to Bangkok DLT and received IDP within 5 minutes.

Following year, after IDP expired, I went to Phuket DLT to renew IDP and there was the same woman who refused me year ago. I submitted expired IDP and application, she looked at my Elite Visa and IDP and issued new document without questions asked. I guess she realized if Bkk can issue IDP she has no choice but to do the same.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BMW Overlander said:

Not in my case. I received 5 years DL in Phuket without any problems.

However, when I requested IDP (International Driving Permit) DLT told me my Elite Visa is considered Tourist Visa and as such I am ineligible for IDP. It has to be Non-O or Non-B visa, she said.

I went straight to Bangkok DLT and received IDP within 5 minutes.

Following year, after IDP expired, I went to Phuket DLT to renew IDP and there was the same woman who refused me year ago. I submitted expired IDP and application, she looked at my Elite Visa and IDP and issued new document without questions asked. I guess she realized if Bkk can issue IDP she has no choice but to do the same.

Looks like you got 'lucky'... 

For a 5 year Driving license you need to be holding a Non-Immigrant Visa. 

The Thai Elite SE or PE visa's are not Non-Immigrant Visas and thus holders of a Thai Elite Visa only qualify for a 2 year temporary visa which they can renew every 2 years. 

I renewed my Thai DL in Bangkok, Sukhmivit DLT last year.... Holding a 5 year Thai Driving License which I'd received under work permit, I was only allowed to renew to a 2 year license as I was currently on my Elite SE Visa. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

A total waste of money in my view but it is his money to do with whatever he wants.?

Apart, possibly, from those non-immigrants who have the misfortune to live within the catchment areas of the Chiang Mai and Samui immigration offices, I would agree with you.

6 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

why waste, (yes its wasteful) to pay 1,000,000 baht if ur over 50 or married.

u could drop dead next year

Everyone has their own perspective. Personally, I would not worry too much about buyer's remorse when I would no longer be around to feel it. In fact, worrying about the money makes even less sense if you will shortly die than if you are going to be around for the next 20 years. [unless, of course, you have figured out a way to take your money with you into the afterlife]

16 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Everyone has their own perspective. Personally, I would not worry too much about buyer's remorse when I would no longer be around to feel it. In fact, worrying about the money makes even less sense if you will shortly die than if you are going to be around for the next 20 years. [unless, of course, you have figured out a way to take your money with you into the afterlife]

some peoples lives involve thinking of the welfare of other people after they go so the more for them the better.

you can't take it with you as they say. sure but that's really not the point if there are other people to think about. dogs, kids, parents, family and friends and wife, in that order ? ?

Edited by Happy enough

There is also security from changing rules. If the government changes the age restriction on retirement visa, or finance requirements on marriage visa, that could cause problems.

Also there is currency risk protection. If you buy when the exchange rate is in your favor you do not have to worry for 20 years as the price for visas increase.

And of course there is the idea of doing it once and being done. The 20 year will see some of us out, so we do not need to budget for visa and travel in the future.

And finally, if you are sick, or infirmed, you do not have to worry about ever travelling again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JayBird said:

There is also security from changing rules. If the government changes the age restriction on retirement visa, or finance requirements on marriage visa, that could cause problems.

Also there is currency risk protection. If you buy when the exchange rate is in your favor you do not have to worry for 20 years as the price for visas increase.

And of course there is the idea of doing it once and being done. The 20 year will see some of us out, so we do not need to budget for visa and travel in the future.

And finally, if you are sick, or infirmed, you do not have to worry about ever travelling again.

i'd disagree with most of what you said

• Like 1

On 9/8/2018 at 4:50 PM, jackdd said:

Has always been like this because Thai Elite visa counts as tourist visa.

But i don't see how this is a "significant" disadvantage, this is more like a minor nuisance

Not quite, I have a 5 year license which I obtained on my 5 year visa.

I was expecting a 1 year license at the time but they gave me a 5 year one. I think they make it up as they go at the DLT.