Dallas officer faces manslaughter charge in apartment shooting

rooster59

Dallas officer faces manslaughter charge in apartment shooting

By Bernie Woodall

dallas.JPG

(Reuters) - A Dallas police officer will be charged with manslaughter after mistakenly entering an apartment she thought was hers and fatally shooting the man who lived there, authorities said on Friday.

The officer had completed a shift late on Thursday and was still in uniform when she returned to what she believed was her home and encountered 26-year-old Botham Shem Jean, Dallas police chief U. Renee Hall said at a news conference.

"It's not clear what (the) interaction was between her and the victim," Hall said. "But at some point, she fired her weapon, striking the victim. She called 911."

"Right now, there are more questions than we have answers," the chief said. "We understand the concern of this community."

The officer is white, while her victim was a black man whose family is from the Caribbean island of Saint Lucia, Hall said.

The St. Lucia Times reported that Jean was the son of a former permanent secretary for two governmental ministries of St. Lucia and he had been employed by PricewaterhouseCoopers and lived in a gated community. PricewaterhouseCoopers spokeswoman Megan DiSciullo told Reuters that Jean had worked in the company's Dallas office for two years.

Citing a relative of Jean, the newspaper reported that the officer lived on another floor of the same complex.

Hall said the Texas Rangers would take over the investigation because of the "unique" nature of the incident. Hall said the officer would be publicly identified after she was officially charged.

The chief said blood was drawn from the officer to test for alcohol or drugs in her system.

She said emergency responders had arrived within four minutes of being called, and Jean was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-09

I once went to a party in a housing estate where hundreds of houses looked exactly the same. I was pretty drunk, walked out to a local pub to get more booze and then walked into the wrong house on my return. Its the only reason I can think of for someone not knowing their own home. My wife, when I explained to her what had happened came up with the same answer. Was she drunk?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

America  the land of the free, that is unless you are black, live in the same building as a gun toting black hating cop.

She claims to have thought she was going in her own apartment, bs.

When leaving for work she would have locked her door, yet on returning, she entered another apartment how?

Was the mans door locked? If it was how did she get in?

The fact is,that she had not opened the door!!She was in front of the door!  But it was not her apartment and her contactless smartcard did not work!  Black guy, hearing commotion outside had opened the door himself from inside.And she shoot him....

Bloody sad and silly,but this is the fact.  IMHO: it was Dallas and she acted automatically as a local redneck:

black?- shoot!

Nothing will happen to her... Well,may be something will happen,the victim is black,but he is foreigner, related to important politicians in his country,may be they will find some way to blame him?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Credo said:

I once lived in an apartment building and the elevator stopped on the wrong floor.   I paid no attention because I was alone and no one got in.   I went to my apartment, or where it should be, had I been on the right floor.   I walked in and there were a bunch of people in the apartment.   It took me a minute to figure out it was me in the wrong place.   Totally embarrassing.

I don't know if race was an issue.   There is a good chance she would have shot anyone she believed was an intruder.  

You didn't need a key for the lock?

How about the case at hand, any locks or is there more to this story?

45 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You didn't need a key for the lock?

How about the case at hand, any locks or is there more to this story?

I don't actually recall.   I had a roommate, so it wasn't unusual for the door to be open and it was.   There were about 6 or 7 Thais sitting on the floor eating!  The apartments were all very similar so it took me a moment to figure out it wasn't mine.

I think someone posted that she couldn't get in and he opened the door.   

Oh Dear, don't let an investigation by an independent police agency be heard before calling the officer a racist drunk. As a female police officer she was apparently "mind set" for an attack by a "black", a situation she sees daily in her work. I think it's safe to say that her career as a police officer is as dead as her victim. 

• Confused 1

I'm curious how the officer "walked in" to the wrong apartment, just seems weird. I guess Mr. Jean may have left the door ajar, but if it was closed and locked, one assumes Officer Guyger would have had a problem trying to enter and assuming she wasn't loaded, figured out she was at the wrong apartment?

Her previous incident of shooting a suspect last year, by all accounts (and I do know these can be under a blue cloud) sounded justified.

26 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I'm curious how the officer "walked in" to the wrong apartment, just seems weird. I guess Mr. Jean may have left the door ajar, but if it was closed and locked, one assumes Officer Guyger would have had a problem trying to enter and assuming she wasn't loaded, figured out she was at the wrong apartment?

Her previous incident of shooting a suspect last year, by all accounts (and I do know these can be under a blue cloud) sounded justified.

According to another poster, see previous page, she tried to enter with her key, was refused, but the person living there opened the door.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

According to another poster, see previous page, she tried to enter with her key, was refused, but the person living there opened the door.

OK, thanks.

I did read a few of the local Dallas papers and didn't see that detail, must have missed it. Sucks to think someone is trying to get into your apartment, open the door to find out what's happening and get shot. The officer must not have had her 'throw-down piece' on her?

Faith in US police gone down a bit if they do not know which apartment they live in ! I mean I'm no detective but the number on the door might be  a good giveaway !

As for the white vs black thing, just the media stoking up the pathetic race hatred crimes thing again any time a white kills a black person. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

To be blunt ,you do not shoot an unarmed man who you are confronted by ,no matter what colour he is , she must be charged if this is the case .

Yeah you do, if you have a gun. ~ Twenty-three states have "stand your ground" laws, so what if it was someone else's "castle"? ("Castle Doctrine")

But, but she feared for her life as the dangerous-looking black man was brandishing a TV remote.

She may get sacked, end up as a sheriff or a school guard, and hopefully won't kill too many more folks.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, stevenl said:

According to the Dallas police chief, Amber Guyger entered the apartment.

She shot him twice, manslaughter no doubt about that.

She has been charged and bailed.