Dallas officer faces manslaughter charge in apartment shooting

rooster59

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Faith in US police gone down a bit if they do not know which apartment they live in ! I mean I'm no detective but the number on the door might be  a good giveaway !

As for the white vs black thing, just the media stoking up the pathetic race hatred crimes thing again any time a white kills a black person. 

Many times we see cases where race really isn't/shouldn't be the issue.  But this case reeks of it.  This guy would "most likely" still be alive if he was white. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

I was asking a simple question, wondered if anyone had read anywhere???  

It's my understanding that he was unarmed.   I have watched some of the news coverage of it, but I can't give you a source. 

I am reasonably sure that if he was holding a gun, it would have been reported.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Many times we see cases where race really isn't/shouldn't be the issue.  But this case reeks of it.  This guy would "most likely" still be alive if he was white. 

Why? How do you know this , and by the way i think she should be charged , but why a black ,white thing? any proof. or are you just making it up.

Edited by bert bloggs

Police officers are rarely ever changed with fatal shootings, the bulk of which are probably justified. (This one appears to be wholly unjustified.)

Very few are probably ever charged with non-fatal shootings. 

Since other police officers normally investigate the incidents, the results are hardly surprising.

Now, civil suits present a different scenario - what with civilian juries, and very, very large settlements affect a municipality's financial/insurance situation, which often results in some actions being taken to try and reduce the use of deadly force going forward.

Criminal juries are reluctant to convict officers, although there is a bit of a glacial shift in these of late, especially given the availability of video evidence.

Deadly Force by Lawrence O'Donnell (of White House, real and dramatic, fame and currently on MSNBC) tells the story of the Boston Police shooting of an unarmed black man in 1975. O'Donnell's father was a Boston cop, who became a lawyer, and secured a large settlement. Some things have changed for the better, but maybe we still have a ways to go?

Dallas grand jury to examine police officer's fatal shooting of neighbor

By Gabriella Borter

2018-09-10T200855Z_1_LYNXNPEE891HB_RTROPTP_4_TEXAS-SHOOTING.JPG

Officer Amber Guyger appears in a booking photo provided by the Kaufman County Sheriff's Office, September 10, 2018. Kaufman County Sheriff's Office/Handout via REUTERS

(Reuters) - A Texas grand jury could potentially charge a Dallas police officer with murder in the shooting death of a neighbor whose apartment the officer said she mistook for her own, a prosecutor said on Monday, as the victim's family demanded more answers.

Meanwhile, according to the Dallas Morning News, dozens of people marched through the city's downtown on Monday evening, blocking traffic at times, to protest last Thursday's fatal shooting of Botham Shem Jean, 26, an unarmed black man, by the white officer.

Amber Guyger, 30, a four-year veteran of the Dallas police force, was arrested on Sunday and charged with manslaughter, a lesser offense than murder for an unlawful killing that does not involve malice aforethought.

Police said Guyger has told investigators she mistook Jean's residence for her own and shot him believing he was an intruder.

Questions have been raised over why there was a delay in charging Guyger and how she failed to know she was not in her own apartment.

An attorney for Guyger, who was released on $300,000 bond, could not be reached for comment.

District Attorney Faith Johnson told reporters on Monday, "We plan to present a thorough case to the grand jury of Dallas County so that the right decision can be made in this case."

The grand jury may decide to uphold the manslaughter charge on which she was arrested, or it could consider charging Guyger with murder, Johnson said.

Guyger, who came home from her shift on Thursday in uniform, mistakenly went to Jean's apartment one floor above her own and managed to enter because the door was slightly ajar, according to an arrest warrant affidavit posted online by local media.

Entering the darkened apartment, she noticed a figure whom she said she mistook for a burglar and fired twice, striking Jean once in the chest, the affidavit said.

Attorneys for Jean's family challenged that account.

"This wasn't her apartment, so there wouldn't be the same smell, there wouldn't be the same furniture, there wouldn't be the same lighting pattern," S. Lee Merritt, an attorney for Jean's family, said at a news conference on Monday.

Two witnesses who live at the apartment building have described hearing knocks at a door before the shooting, and one of the witnesses heard a woman's voice saying, "Let me in," Merritt said.

The results of a blood test on Guyger for drugs and alcohol were still pending, a police spokesman said.

(Reporting by Gabriella Borter, Alex Dobuzinskis, Peter Szekely, Rich McKay and Steve Gorman; Editing by Cynthia Osterman and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-11

23 minutes ago, webfact said:

The results of a blood test on Guyger for drugs and alcohol were still pending,

Those results might explain a lot. A drunk guy going into the wrong house is a bit of a cliché. She certainly looks hungover in the photo.

Edited by nausea
Afterthought
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

Guyger, who came home from her shift on Thursday in uniform, mistakenly went to Jean's apartment one floor above her own and managed to enter because the door was slightly ajar, according to an arrest warrant affidavit posted online by local media.

Entering the darkened apartment, she noticed a figure whom she said she mistook for a burglar and fired twice, striking Jean once in the chest, the affidavit said.

"Entering the darkened apartment..."  now this doesn't make sense.  If the guy was there, why would the room be dark?  I hate to say it, but the defense is going to come up with all kinds of "plausible" excuses to get her off.

6 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

"Entering the darkened apartment..."  now this doesn't make sense.  If the guy was there, why would the room be dark?  I hate to say it, but the defense is going to come up with all kinds of "plausible" excuses to get her off.

Actually, it's possible that the guy was sleeping and just got woken up.  So nevermind.  But it's odd that she was able to enter (door ajar?)....bizarre. 

The door was unlocked.
I have sat, In somebody’s car by accident.
Identical Honda, same color parked nearby in a parking lot of a Supermarket. UNLOCKED.

I also heard a story from my Chiang Mai condo when a grannie screamed late at night there was some young guy sleeping on her couch (drunk). The grannies daughter(Mom and her 10 year old daughter were there also) the guy ran away.

CCTV showed he entered the wrong condo floor same unit below his and crashed. No harm no foul. Guns turn these harmless incidents into preventable tragedies.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Attorneys for Jean's family challenged that account.

"This wasn't her apartment, so there wouldn't be the same smell, there wouldn't be the same furniture, there wouldn't be the same lighting pattern," S. Lee Merritt, an attorney for Jean's family, said at a news conference on Monday.

Two witnesses who live at the apartment building have described hearing knocks at a door before the shooting, and one of the witnesses heard a woman's voice saying, "Let me in," Merritt said.

Lot of inconsistencies...

one floor above... I assume directly above, anyone considered that he may like loud music and moves his furniture around a lot? 

Anyone considered she just may have had a bad day at the office and went to sort him out...

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ballpoint said:

So, you turn up at what you think is your apartment, find that the key doesn't work, and, rather than checking the number, instead knock on the door, shout "let me in", and then shoot the guy who opens the door?  Nothing fishy about this at all.  Apart from everything.

Absolutely!!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 7:32 AM, RichardColeman said:

Faith in US police gone down a bit if they do not know which apartment they live in ! I mean I'm no detective but the number on the door might be  a good giveaway !

As for the white vs black thing, just the media stoking up the pathetic race hatred crimes thing again any time a white kills a black person. 

Would you have said the same thing if a black male cop entered the wrong apartment and shot a defenceless white woman dead?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

She'll get off

Well, I suspect she won't be charged, and if she is, she won't be convicted. A few officers have been convicted recently of shooting unarmed black men in the back - a relative rarity - but the female/male, white/black thing, along with a "Stand-your-ground" defense, would be emphasized in a criminal jury trial, resulting in an acquittal.

But after that, she'll quietly be let go, and get a LEO job elsewhere.

The City of Dallas, however, will be on the hook for a wrongful death suit/settlement to the tune of $5 million, could be much higher ($15 million?) if it goes to a jury in the civil case.

8 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I do hope that the family of this unfortunate man get justice, but

a manslaughter charge is not justice.  I will not expect that this white

woman will get anymore than that charge though, after all this is an

American news story

Geezer

Oh, I think she will get charged and there is a good chance she will be found guilty.   First, she was not on duty and she was not responding to a call.   Second, the person she shot was unarmed and in his own apartment.   

There is nothing to indicate this was premeditated, and stand your ground doesn't really apply when you are trying to enter someone else's apartment.   It was a very tragic mistake, but legally, it would be at least manslaughter.   

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 11:47 AM, Berkshire said:

I agree. 

The big issue and missing from this picture is "Motive". For what reason did she have to kill this person in Cold Blood unless it was an accident? So they need to link this death to some Motive or at least her having some involvement with this person, or she will get off of the 1st Degree Murder Charge. But perhaps she still will be charged with Criminal Negligences (3rd Degree Murder) which is a different story.

Is it likely she would try to enter an apartment one floor up from her own, and mistake this as her own? Not Likely! But it is possible! Especially if she has been drinking heavy that night. Lots of Apartments don't have numbers attached to there front doors. I lived in a couple like that. Since this door wasn't locked and was exactly above her apartment, it is possible she went up one extra fight of stairs by mistake and walked to the door she was used to going into. Found her door open when she new she locked it, pulled her revolver, and game over.