Do Lays cheddar cheese potato chips taste like cheddar cheese?

edwardandtubs

OP

There is no way that the Lays will replicate a true Cheddar Taste

Why bring the horrible Tesco mass produced Cheese ?. Go to a local Market and try some of the Cheeses that are produced by small producers on their Farms.

Its far superior in quality and taste to the mass produced cheese, and if you are lucky you will be able to find a Cheese that is really to your liking and bring that back.

Gurt Lush 

3 hours ago, Cyclone88 said:

You can buy English Cheddar in Pattaya from as little as 99 baht a kilo.

Why you bother bringing any over?

If your not staying anywhere near Pattaya I'm sure someone could EMS you some in a cooler pack.

Where do you source that Cheese from in Pattaya ?

Please tell.

5 hours ago, Cyclone88 said:

You can buy English Cheddar in Pattaya from as little as 99 baht a kilo.

Why you bother bringing any over?

If your not staying anywhere near Pattaya I'm sure someone could EMS you some in a cooler pack.

Very hard to believe.  That's less than half the price offered in the UK!!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/348239/cheddar-cheese-retail-average-price-in-great-britain-uk/

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I'm currently in the UK but coming back to Thailand next week. Over here Tesco has an offer on of £2.75 for 550g of Cathedral extra mature cheddar so I'm thinking of buying about 10 of those and bringing them over. However, I wondered if these Lays English cheddar crisps would give me the cheddar fix I need. 

No, they won't!  Cathedral is available here in Villa.

15 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

Best way to tell is cut a thin layer off the cheese in the shape of the potato chip and get wife to blindfold you + shuffle the samples

Eat sample A and then sample B to

see if you can tell the difference.... ?

The '9 1/2 Weeks' teaser post of the day award goes to...

When I seen 'Cathedral' I was gonna sort of say if thats what you think is decent cheese then yes Lays taste just as good (as that) 555

Just bring a few blocks if thats what you like, the cheese here is a lot dearer than UK prices.

I like to try cheese from local producers too but it's a bit unfair to call all supermarket cheese inferior and mass produced. They go through very similar production processes and maturation. Tesco finest Stilton is delicious and Lidl has some nice cheeses too. 

I would bring back some Stinking Bishop but I don't want to stink out the plane. I don't think a day out of the fridge is going to do some shrink-wrapped cheddar any harm.

It would be good to hear a review by someone who has actually tried some of those Lays crisps though. I tried the baked cheese and tomato ones and they were ok but way too salty. Tasted a bit like a very cheap microwave pizza.

Edited by edwardandtubs

6 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I like to try cheese from local producers too but it's a bit unfair to call all supermarket cheese inferior and mass produced. They go through very similar production processes and maturation. Tesco finest Stilton is delicious and Lidl has some nice cheeses too. 

I would bring back some Stinking Bishop but I don't want to stink out the plane. I don't think a day out of the fridge is going to do some shrink-wrapped cheddar any harm.

It would be good to hear a review by someone who has actually tried some of those Lays crisps though. I tried the baked cheese and tomato ones and they were ok but way too salty. Tasted a bit like a very cheap microwave pizza.

Dude... with respect, this is not rocket science. Try the different ones when you are here and choose!  as for cheese we have demonstrated that you can buy it here, at high quality in many places, at a little extra costs than UK.  If you want to save your 20 quid (900 THB) then bring it over with ice packs and all!  happy munching as I too am a cheesy addict  lol  

6 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Too salty.  Last night I ate Vintage cheddar (NZ) sliced thin (it slices thin easily) on Luxury vegetable crackers (available at Lotus).  Good cheddar easy to find.  World class award winning cheddar a bit harder to find and more expensive but no problem.

17 hours ago, Stocky said:

Indeed, the fact that in the UK Walkers 'Smokey Bacon' flavoured crisps are labelled as Halal and suitable for vegetarians tells you all you need to know. The key word is 'flavoured' the cheese ones are the same, cheese flavoured, doesn't mean any cheese is involved.

A few years ago I worked with an Indian guy in London, who had just married into a strict vegetarian family. Being partial to the odd crisp, he phoned Walkers to find out which flavours he would be allowed to eat. Their answer?Any except cheese & onion!

• Haha 1

I have tried so called cheese flavoured biscuits and crisps in Thailand and they never even remotely tasted like cheese. More like milk. 

As for cheese at 99 baht a kilo, never happen. Maybe 99 bant for a 200 gram packet. I buy mine in bulk, 2 kilo blocks and it is 360 baht a kilo for very ordinary cheddar.