Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Enter "example of racist photo" and see what you get. Besides that, the photo of Serena is not racist anyway, so what's the point?

I came up with many links including the one marcus referred to. But apparently this is all too difficult for you.

Just now, stevenl said:

I came up with many links including the one marcus referred to. But apparently this is all too difficult for you.

I am still trying to find a connection between the photo of Serena and a racist photo. The few I have turned up like a tennis team with bags over their heads like the KKK don't have any relevance at all.  What seems to be difficult for you to understand is that it's a pointless exercise anyway, as marcusarelis is trying to make a case out of smoke and mirrors, but I can see why you might have a foot in that camp.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

I am still trying to find a connection between the photo of Serena and a racist photo

Me too...…….how can a normal photograph of someone be determined as racist??  

I've searched through many definitions of racism/racist but still none fits what these people find in that photo.

• Like 1

Quote: "Society should be equal and colour blind not this monstrous pc nonsense. Cartoonists should caricature  everyone EQUALLY.  Popes, Kings, Actors, Pop Stars, Blacks or Whites".

And they do in my experience, so it is no big deal, but there those who see racism wherever they care to look. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Me too...…….how can a normal photograph of someone be determined as racist??  

I've searched through many definitions of racism/racist but still none fits what these people find in that photo.

Typical white Australian and typical black Australian. 

Typical Aussie.jpg

banker.jpg

Edited by marcusarelus

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Quote: "Society should be equal and colour blind not this monstrous pc nonsense. Cartoonists should caricature  everyone EQUALLY.  Popes, Kings, Actors, Pop Stars, Blacks or Whites".

And they do in my experience, so it is no big deal, but there those who see racism wherever they care to look.

That's the problem.  The average Aussie agrees with you and doesn't get it.  You can make funny pictures of a white person but not a black person.  I know you don't get it.  It may be another couple of hundred years before you get it.  You might be correct if white people were discriminated against but they are not (save me the 1% of exceptions please). 

"There is a sickening, undeniable body of evidence linking caricatures of Africans with, if not deliberate mockery and alienation, then an accidental kind that elicits the same reaction.

But nobody had to break the code of that cartoon.

Australia wrote the code, about 150 years ago, when black people were caricatured in the same fashion to demean and separate them from civilization.

Why could this cartoon emerge in Australia and not elsewhere? While Australians like to imagine we are a more progressive, more enlightened country than America, the Knight cartoon would never have been published there. Perhaps that’s because we have never had an unflinching public debate about race and our treatment of Indigenous Australians. Nor have we had a great civil rights movement such as the one that has transformed the US since the 1950s.

https://www.theage.com.au/search?text=serena

Chart 1: Number of race-related stories by outlet and type of reporting below

race.jpg

Edited by marcusarelus

16 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I think they would have if Mad was published by a mainstream newspaper and when criticized worldwide by reputable sources defended the racism.  Hard not to notice.

The 'reputable sources' part is debatable.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 5:53 AM, webfact said:

This despicable cartoon tried and failed to diminish the greatness & grace of @serenawilliams. Racism in any form is unacceptable," civil rights activist Rev. Jesse Jackson tweeted on Monday

What!!?  If this is greatness and grace I would really worry about the young girls who hold her up as a role model. Perhaps he's just referring to her website and not the offending performance?  Why put @serenawilliams instead of her name with appropriate capital letters?

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Oh I can see the racism now, Mark Knight made her whiter in the cartoon than she really is.

The depiction of Serena Williams was clearly drawn, consciously or unconsciously, from hackneyed and mocking images of African Americans and Africans - deeply offensive and with no place in social and political commentary. - Alex Byrne, Glebe

Knight has plumbed the depths of racism with his cartoon.

It is sad to see so many Australians writing in support of his latest lapse. They demonstrate that we are as racist a nation as we have ever been.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/bitter-attack-proves-dutton-was-never-fit-for-top-job-20180912-p503b1.html

On 9/11/2018 at 5:20 PM, DoctorG said:

Blacks are not a protected species.

The many caricatures of Trump and other white people passes unremarked.

He drew her as an ugly black woman having a tantrum. That is exactly what she was.

For those who care to notice before jumping on the virtue signalling bandwagon, Osaka was sporting a blond dyed ponytail and looked lighter-skinned in the photo I saw.

It's just more proof that the Left hates blacks and other minorities, they treat them like theyre lesser-thans or pets. They certainly don't treat them like equals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, underlordcthulhu said:

It's just more proof that the Left hates blacks and other minorities, they treat them like theyre lesser-thans or pets. They certainly don't treat them like equals.

• Protected classes.  If you don't know why go back to grade school.  It believe it is covered in 7th grade. 
  • Race.
  • Color.
  • Religion or creed.
  • National origin or ancestry.
  • Sex.
  • Age.
  • Physical or mental disability.
  • Veteran status.

3 hours ago, AboutThaim said:

What!!?  If this is greatness and grace I would really worry about the young girls who hold her up as a role model. Perhaps he's just referring to her website and not the offending performance?  Why put @serenawilliams instead of her name with appropriate capital letters?

When a bitchy diva blows her top it's ooh-aah so graceful. You should read more feminist propaganda to understand. And of course you use @, it creates a link for the internet web crawlers so you can promote traffic to your site. #socialbullshit

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

"What EXACT parts of the depiction are racist?" 

Therein may lay the problem, or does it??

Some while back Giddyup, I and others asked what was racist about the PHOTOGRAPH (not the cartoon) and you went into a diatribe citing slavery, the civil war, a museum, etc etc, yet all we could see was a PHOTOGRAPH of the worlds best woman tennis player either angry (or elated?) during a tennis match. 

I still cannot see what is racist about a photograph of an actual event.

Then I googled your suggestion and the most telling depiction I came across was this...……….

"Photographer Frank Schreider shows men from Timor island his camera in a 1962 issue. The magazine often ran photos of “uncivilized” native people seemingly fascinated by “civilized” Westerners’ technology".

image.png.3f95e333c6f5be7a42202710d59e1bf7.png

It was telling IMO because it was an actual event, taken with no malice and something which I have experienced working in west and north Africa...…...yes, things like this actually happen and are part of everyday life.

If this is what you are meaning when you and others describe "racism" then this truly is a world gone mad and those that seek to see racism in everyday events are those who need censoring and quite probably counselling.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

National origin or ancestry.

Did you miss this one at grade school? If not, why are you denigrating Australians?

Oh well, another day of bowling googlies at an inverted racist.

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Therein may lay the problem, or does it??

Some while back Giddyup, I and others asked what was racist about the PHOTOGRAPH (not the cartoon) and you went into a diatribe citing slavery, the civil war, a museum, etc etc, yet all we could see was a PHOTOGRAPH of the worlds best woman tennis player either angry (or elated?) during a tennis match. 

I still cannot see what is racist about a photograph of an actual event.

Then I googled your suggestion and the most telling depiction I came across was this...……….

"Photographer Frank Schreider shows men from Timor island his camera in a 1962 issue. The magazine often ran photos of “uncivilized” native people seemingly fascinated by “civilized” Westerners’ technology".

It was telling IMO because it was an actual event, taken with no malice and something which I have experienced working in west and north Africa...…...yes, things like this actually happen and are part of everyday life.

If this is what you are meaning when you and others describe "racism" then this truly is a world gone mad and those that seek to see racism in everyday events are those who need censoring and quite probably counselling.

I posted it a number of times from a number of reputable Australians but I'll do it again since you don't seem to be able to understand it.

The depiction of Serena Williams was clearly drawn, consciously or unconsciously, from hackneyed and mocking images of African Americans and Africans - deeply offensive and with no place in social and political commentary. - Alex Byrne, Glebe

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The depiction of Serena Williams

So it's you who doesn't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We (or at least I) were talking about THE PHOTOGRAPH posted, not the cartoon, caricature or depiction, but perhaps reading is not a strong point??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Did you miss this one at grade school? If not, why are you denigrating Australians?

Oh well, another day of bowling googlies at an inverted racist.

No one has a problem discussing what Serena did and that in many opinions it was wrong.  (you don't seem to get this)

The problem is drawing  Serena Williams from hackneyed and mocking images of African Americans and Africans - deeply offensive and with no place in social and political commentary. - Alex Byrne, Glebe

No problem saying Australia is in error for allowing such behavior.  No problem saying what Serena did was in error. 

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I posted it a number of times from a number of reputable Australians but I'll do it again since you don't seem to be able to understand it.

BUT... what of the massive nose depicted on the Portuguese Umpire?.... is that also racist against Caucasians?

Afterall.... the depiction of Carlos Ramos was clearly drawn, consciously or unconsciously, from hackneyed and mocking images of Caucasians who have big pointy noses. 

image.png.4397c3b65a0ba7934598aeca6ae66e44.png

16 minutes ago, xylophone said:

image.png.3f95e333c6f5be7a42202710d59e1bf7.png

Hey bring a black man with a cool gadget to me and I'll be fascinated too. The fella in the pic looks like "nah that <deleted> ain't gonna work", though. Somewhat backed by the other guys "Bloody trinket won't work, typical, just when I want to show off".

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

We don't want quotes of opinions of others, we want your rationale, in your words.

Three questions remain unanswered by you.

1. Why do you think that the cartoon is racist? In your words, no quotes please.

2. Why do you think that the photo is racist? In your words, no quotes please.

3. Why have you misspelt your forum name? Surely, it should be Marcusaurelius.

• Like 2