Traveling in Europe after Britain leaves the EU

According to an article in the UK press today, regarding a government report being published tomorrow, there might be a problem with traveling in Europe after March 2019, if your passport is valid for less than 6 x months.

Might be a good idea to check when your passport expires. Obviously this applies to all your family members, including children.

If your passport expires anytime from March 2019 to September 2019, it might be a very good idea to apply for a renewal ASAP, or certainly by the beginning of February 2019.

Enjoy life, whilst you can!

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Is that for UK citizens only?

Even though my country is in the EEC (Ireland)....I still need my passport to travel through Europe.

Ireland is in the EU but not in Schengen. This means your document will be checked when you first enter a EU country, but it doesn't have to be a passport an identity card with your picture will suffice. If you are coming from Ireland, that is. Of course if you are coming from Thailand then a passport would be needed already at departure.

If you move on to other Schengen countries after the first one, there will be no checks by immigration. Though you will need a document e.g. when you check-in for a flight. Again, just an ID card should be enough.

I am not aware of validity limits for passports and ID cards for such inter-EU travels.

13 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Ireland is in the EU but not in Schengen. This means your document will be checked when you first enter a EU country, but it doesn't have to be a passport an identity card with your picture will suffice. If you are coming from Ireland, that is. Of course if you are coming from Thailand then a passport would be needed already at departure.

If you move on to other Schengen countries after the first one, there will be no checks by immigration. Though you will need a document e.g. when you check-in for a flight. Again, just an ID card should be enough.

I am not aware of validity limits for passports and ID cards for such inter-EU travels.

Actually, I had to take a train from Austria to Germany once to catch a flight in Frankfurt back to the USA... There were passport controls on the train and the agents explained that they were standard and as per the law.  This was in 2012 or 2013 - long before the current refugee crisis.  

On 9/12/2018 at 1:41 PM, billd766 said:

More than 6 months left is pretty much standard for most countries.

Not for EU citizens within the EU. 

Just add it to the post brexit bureaucracy. 

I often wonder how many on here have explained to their Thai spouse how they have deprived them of the right to travel in Europe under the freedom of movement rules.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sandyf said:

I often wonder how many on here have explained to their Thai spouse how they have deprived them of the right to travel in Europe under the freedom of movement rules.

Nothing to do with Brexit but with the UK's opt-out from the Schengen agreement.

I, personally, would have much more difficulty in explaining and justifying to my Thai wife any opt-in on the UK's part into an agreement which, in effect, gives carte blanche for international terrorists to roam at will unchecked across mainland European borders to perpetrate their dastardly deeds, as evidenced by the outrages in Paris, Brussels, Berlin and Nice over the past few years. 

Edited by OJAS
3 hours ago, OJAS said:

Nothing to do with Brexit but with the UK's opt-out from the Schengen agreement.

Of course it has to do with brexit, obviously not familiar with the current rules regarding a Schengen visa for a non EU spouse of a UK citizen.

Edited by sandyf

It's not a requirement that there is six months validity left, but rather the Government's technical notice says: "If you plan to travel to the Schengen area after 29 March 2019, to avoid any possibility of your adult British passport not complying with the Schengen Border Code we suggest that you check the issue date and make sure your passport is no older than 9 years and 6 months on the day of travel."

In other words, if you renewed your passport up to 9 months early, you could still have problems, even with six months validity left.

• Like 1
On 9/15/2018 at 2:25 AM, OJAS said:

I, personally, would have much more difficulty in explaining and justifying to my Thai wife any opt-in on the UK's part into an agreement which, in effect, gives carte blanche for international terrorists to roam at will unchecked across mainland European borders to perpetrate their dastardly deeds, as evidenced by the outrages in Paris, Brussels, Berlin and Nice over the past few years. 

Unfortunately, the UK had it's own share of terror attacks in the recent past - even after having opted out of Schengen and being separated from the rest of the EU by water(except in the case of Northern Ireland)