Jump to content

1 or 2 day overstay, need to pay fine?


Recommended Posts

You heard some incorrect info.

If leaving from either airport in Bangkok they do not charge the 500 baht fine for one day of overstay. More than one day and it is 500 baht for every day.

At other airports and at border crossing you will be fined 500 baht for one day of overstay.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You heard some incorrect info.

If leaving from either airport in Bangkok they do not charge the 500 baht fine for one day of overstay. More than one day and it is 500 baht for every day.

At other airports and at border crossing you will be fined 500 baht for one day of overstay.

If I leave from airport in Bangkok, one day of overstay is ok but need to pay if it is 2 day of overstay ? correct?

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, david kc said:

If I leave from airport in Bangkok, one day of overstay is ok but need to pay if it is 2 day of overstay ? correct?

Correct. As long as you do not overstay more than 24 hours you should not get charged overstay on your way out through the Bangkok airports. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, mikebell said:

It cost me 1000 for 2 days at Pattaya - no receipt.

You can leave Thailand from Pattaya now?  Believe we are talking about departure overstay being paid at point of embarkation.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, mikebell said:

It cost me 1000 for 2 days at Pattaya - no receipt.

Was this at the overstay-desk in the Jomtien immigration-office or at the U-Tapao airport?  Was the overstay noted in your passport? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I m

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You heard some incorrect info.

I must have gotton lucky, I mistakenly overstayed 2 days but the customs officer let me go.  I asked if I needed to pay but she told me it was ok and not to worry about it.

I think it's like any where else, if you get lucky and run into a customs official that's in a good mood, they'll let you slide.

With that said, I am always polite and dress well when I am travelling and I come to the Kingdom atleast 6-8 times a years without ever over staying.

I been doing this for over 20 years now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, flyingtlger said:

I must have gotton lucky, I mistakenly overstayed 2 days but the customs officer let me go.  I asked if I needed to pay but she told me it was ok and not to worry about it.

I think it's like any where else, if you get lucky and run into a customs official that's in a good mood, they'll let you slide.

A customs officer does not fine people for overstay, this is done by an immigration officer

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

After how many days overstay do they stamp your passport with Overstay?

One day is enough to get the stamp if leaving where they charge 500 baht for the overstay.

At the airports in Bangkok they do stamp stating you overstayed less than 24 hours to justify not collecting the fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Ok so when is the mandatory overstay stamp perceived to be a bad thing? Every time? I.e. cause alarm bells at immigration/customs

 

I would say up to the discretion of the IO

I had a one day overstay a while ago, did never have a problem with it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You always get a stamp, even if it's just 1 minute ?

You don’t always get a stamp. There are many reports from people with short overstays that didn’t.

 

38 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Ok so when is the mandatory overstay stamp perceived to be a bad thing? Every time? I.e. cause alarm bells at immigration/customs

Yes it’s a bad thing, which is why they usually stamp the passport. But most people don’t have any problems with immigration with future entries. I wouldn’t recommend re-entering using visa exemption immediately following an overstay.

 

Embassies/consulates might not issue future visas with an overstay stamp, but that is not standard practice. I can’t remember where it is, but one consulate reportedly now have that policy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Airport they'll likely cut you max 24 hours slack because you cannot control the flight times.  Everything else is as others said "no mercy".  I had a hospital event occur last minute (life threatening event) and they wouldn't hear of it.  Completely outside of my control.  I was actually waiting to try to get a 7 day note to get some space to address the health issue, doc refused.  Border won't accommodate any sob story.  Bodily systems shutting down rapidly, and somehow managed to stumble from pillar to post, sit on the ground when in queues, and lived to tell the tale.  Need to take the fine on the chin, and get past it as quick as you are able.

 

On the plus side, 1-2 days won't cause you any future issues.  You may (will) be advised not to do it again, and told to tell all your friends the same.  Yes Occifer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

I mistakenly overstayed 2 days but the customs officer let me go.  I asked if I needed to pay but she told me it was ok and not to worry about it.

As Jackdd pointed out above, customs officials don't deal with overstays. That would be at the discretion of immigrations officers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When Ive had one day over stay allways been fined and passport stamped with a over stay stamp. These stamps can get you refused entry into Thailand in the future. Im certain these imagration  officers pocket the fines as no reciet is given for the fine. Most Thais rob you blind so just pay up and smile at them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2018 at 7:44 AM, JackThompson said:

Was this at the overstay-desk in the Jomtien immigration-office or at the U-Tapao airport?  Was the overstay noted in your passport? 

Soi 5 Jomtien.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, essox essox said:

so where did the 1k go??

Probably it was put in the fund for immigration officers who don't have a Benz yet

Edited by jackdd
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...