Disappointing UPS repair

bluesofa

About eighteen months ago I bought a new UPS, the old one lasted six/seven years with one battery replacement required. I just wish I had made a note of the manufacturer's name before I chucked it.

The new UPS (apart from having an irritating bleep on power fail I'm unable to mute), had the battery time on power failure reduce dramatically.

When it was new, it lasted well over forty minutes powering PC, router and mobile charger. Back in May I noticed it dropped to less than five minutes.

Contacted Power Buy where I purchased it, who returned it to the manufacturer in Bangkok for warranty repair. A month later it arrived back, repaired FOC.

I charged the UPS and timed the length of time it ran on power fail - 62 minutes. Great!

Today, three months later, we had a power failure. The UPS lasted for 10 minutes. Exactly the same loading. Pretty disappointing. I think it will be a waste of time having it repaired again under the two-year warranty, judging from last time.

I just won't buy a Zircon product again.

When I get around to buying a replacement, can anyone recommend a reliable brand?

Every UPS I've ever used came with a beep that couldn't be turned off, unless there was a software option to do so, i.e. more expensive models. APC is the brand that gets recommended most. They have a big range but not all models sold everywhere. In some of the large IT malls you can also find used models fairly cheap if you want to save money on the higher rated commercial grade units. I have one APC, must be fifteen years old and another APC five years old, never a problem, just change batteries every few years at the first sign of going downhill. Like car batteries, don't try to eke out every last bit or it will let you down when you need it most. My rule of thumb is don't pay less than 3000 baht and make sure it has AVR. 750VA is probably a minimum these days if you want more than a few minutes runtime. APC Smart UPS are the next step up from basic home use but you're looking at 10,000 baht plus. 

If you get 62 minutes on battery then you either have a high rated model or very little connected. I have a Powercom 1000VA that lasts twenty minutes at most on battery but that's with a decent PC and  2 x 23" monitors connected. I have a smaller dedicated UPS for my router so when the power goes I can run my phone or tablet for about an hour before needing to switch to data mode on my phone, only have wi-fi on my tablet.

5 hours ago, kkerry said:

If you get 62 minutes on battery then you either have a high rated model or very little connected.

Some units have a "no load" cut-off, I wonder if our OP's load is right on the line.

@bluesofa does the beast run any longer with a bigger load?

When it shuts off does it give the "low battery" indication? I wonder if the "repair" was a battery replacement with less-than-new batteries.

56 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Some units have a "no load" cut-off, I wonder if our OP's load is right on the line.

@bluesofa does the beast run any longer with a bigger load?

When it shuts off does it give the "low battery" indication? I wonder if the "repair" was a battery replacement with less-than-new batteries.

Hi Crossy,

Yes, it does give the 'low battery' indication - the irritating bleep (that I can't switch off) gets a lot faster as it's about to run out of battery.

I can't see it being on the border-line, as I'm using the PC all time whilst on backup, so it's the load has always been exactly the same on mains-failure.

I'd imagine your comment about "the repair was a battery replacement with less-than-new batteries", to be the more probable reason. If they have done that, Zircon have lost a customer through it.

As an aside, I trawled the net last night, looking for other Bangkok based UPS manufacturers, eventually realising it was a Powermatic UPS I originally had years ago - the one that lasted well. Looked like the  L Series 'Powercom Cleanline':  http://www.powermatic.co.th/PD_5_1_118/cleanline/l_series/

Not looking for an expensive UPS, just one that will last more than a year, and more than three months after alleged repair.

1 hour ago, Arjen said:

I do not have experience with UPS from Leonics, but I do have experience with other equipment from them (solar charger and 24V DC-220V AC converter) They are a Thai company, with an office in BKK. I have seen their UPS-es in several IT shop. But did not check them.

Like this: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nubos-ups-inspire-1000v-1000va-500w-i108274319-s109707614.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistbrand.list.5.72394286P2aYmE&search=1

Arjen.

Interesting rating:  "1000V 1000VA 500W"   ???

APC is the way you want to go. I have a model 625. Lasts about 15-20 minutes. It depends on your load. UPS are really just to give you time to save your work and shut down after a power failure.

If there is enough time always unplug the UPS after a power failure because the surge when the power comes back on can be the most damaging.

Had dozens of them in the states at our offices.

They all beep. I sort of like the beep. Sort of dramatic.

But when there is a electrical storm here in Hua Hin I still unplug everything as soon as I hear the thunder. I had a lightening bolt hit somewhere near my house and it took out a CCTV camera. Bummer.  

10 hours ago, kkerry said:

Every UPS I've ever used came with a beep that couldn't be turned off, unless there was a software option to do so, i.e. more expensive models. APC is the brand that gets recommended most.

{snipped}

If you get 62 minutes on battery then you either have a high rated model or very little connected. I have a Powercom 1000VA that lasts twenty minutes at most on battery but that's with a decent PC and  2 x 23" monitors connected. I have a smaller dedicated UPS for my router so when the power goes I can run my phone or tablet for about an hour before needing to switch to data mode on my phone, only have wi-fi on my tablet.

I've since posted that the original UPS I had was a Powermatic.

That had just a single button on the front of the unit. Pressing and holding it for, say five seconds, would switch off the UPS. On a mains failure, it started to bleep. Pressing and immediately releasing the button would silence the bleep.

I had assumed it would be a 'standard' option on most UPS, but obviously not.

The troublesome Zircon unit I have now is a Smooth-D model rated 1,000KvA.

I do have very little connected to it:

I know I said PC, giving the impression of a desktop model, but it powers a laptop, because the batteries in it are no good, they just won't charge. The manufacturer said they don't stock replacement batteries for it any more.

The UPS also powers my fibre router and a spare mobile charger.

Having said that, the backup time shouldn't drop from 62 minutes to 10 minutes in a couple of months.

14 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

{snipped}

Had dozens of them in the states at our offices.

They all beep. I sort of like the beep. Sort of dramatic.

Ha ha! You might like the bleep, but it irritates me.

The other thing is my computer is in the bedroom, on large desk. When there was a power failure at night, the first UPS would bleep and I could silence it by pressing the button.

With the new model, I can't stop it, so it's very irritating during the night - especially as so far we've had 59 power outages in the past five years.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Ha ha! You might like the bleep, but it irritates me.

The other thing is my computer is in the bedroom, on large desk. When there was a power failure at night, the first UPS would bleep and I could silence it by pressing the button.

With the new model, I can't stop it

Try searching (or ring the distributor) to check for a software monitoring option. If the Zircon came with a USB cable it suggests you have software available or you check the rear connections of the unit. Once upon a time you would get a software CD in the box but now companies expect you to download off their website.

My Powercom has sound control in its software. Where I live, if the power goes off it's either a few seconds or a couple of hours. If it's more than a few seconds I prefer the annoying beep so I can hear it if I'm outside so I know to get back in and finish what I was doing and shut down myself, but you can automate all that if you prefer (gracious shutdown).  

image.png.410cd8bf8cd77ec819b483d9466d7477.png

29 minutes ago, kkerry said:

Try searching (or ring the distributor) to check for a software monitoring option. If the Zircon came with a USB cable it suggests you have software available or you check the rear connections of the unit. Once upon a time you would get a software CD in the box but now companies expect you to download off their website.

My Zircon came with no USB cable. It does have instructions in English, absolutely no mention of any software or anywhere to connect it either.

Looks like I really need to look for another UPS when I have some cash. Maybe that Powermatic Powercom.

btw, power just back on after another power cut - 3 hours, after yesterday's 3.5 hours. Total of 60 and counting.

I had a poor ownership experience with Zircon. I stepped up to APC, the brand I had in the USA, and it has served me well in Thailand. APC might appear to cost a tad more, yet in the long run it is a better value in my experience in Thailand. Be clear on which plug system when looking at the models in person or on line. 

Archived