Bikers cough up Bt1.6 million in fines over first two months of pavement ban

webfact

Bikers cough up Bt1.6 million in fines over first two months of pavement ban

By The Nation

imageproxy-1.jpg

FILE photo

Banning motorbikes from Bangkok pavements has given City Hall coffers a much-needed boost, though pedestrians are advised to stay light on their feet for now.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has ticketed over 5,700 motorcyclists for riding and parking on sidewalks during the past two months and collected Bt1.653 million.

BMA governor Aswin Kwanmuang said the BMA had set up 115 checkpoints in 50 districts to enforce the ban, which has been in place since July 9.

From July 9 to August 31, BMA officials caught 5,711 motorcyclists violating the ban. More than half, 2,437, were reprimanded and allowed to go free while the rest were fined.

Aswin said the BMA had since set up an additional 112 checkpoints, raising the number to 227.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354696

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-18

24 minutes ago, johng said:

Maybe because the law says (at least used to)  that if the road is blocked by other traffic motorcycles can use the pavement ?

Oddly enough, I remember that being one of the multiple choice answers in the driving test nearly twenty years ago. I just assumed it had been put there as a 'silly option'?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Strangely and arbitrarily they allow the motorcycle mafia guys park on the pavement and to get there they have to ride over it, as well as setting a bike station with canopies and benches to sit on all on public land and footpath, so double standards here to stay... 

Well, one effective answer would be to stop and fine the passengers. But I doubt the RTP is that enthusiastic.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I am in two minds about this, yes you cannot have absolute anarchy and no rules etc but its also one of the things I like about Thailand. To a point, you can do what you want, safely, not endangering anyone etc. I have ridden on the pavement sometimes were the alternative, to get 50 metres down the road, was a 5 kilometre round trip on a busy road, a couple of uturns etc.

I was out walking the other day with GF, a big wide street and footpath, a kid came out of a soi and rode 20m along the pavement, delivered something to his mums noodle stand then 20m on to the next soi, i presume to go back home (would have been a 2 kilometre trip and 2 uturns on a busy road if he took the road).. I didnt even notice, the kid came nowhere near us, was travelling at walking pace etc. A westerner walking behind us went off his nut, yelling in German, waving his arms around, trying to get us involved etc. The kid did nothing dangerous, as I said it didnt even register with us. The german guy wanted the police called. There is appropriate law enforcement and there is the anally retentive nanny state, where the German guy wants to live.

Yes, have some rules etc but please dont turn it into the nanny state I left.

One of the attractions of Thailand to many is that they don't have to follow the rules. That is why so many low-lifes are attracted to the country. Not calling you one of them, but at the same time those who do what you observe in a safe environment get into bad habits and may then do so where they cause danger to others. They've got away with it before so there is no deterrent, certainly with the lack of self-discipline which is almost non-existent in Thailand and which results in people doing whatever they want regardless.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Oddly enough, I remember that being one of the multiple choice answers in the driving test nearly twenty years ago. I just assumed it had been put there as a 'silly option'?

They need all the help they can get to maintain the kill ratio 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I am in two minds about this, yes you cannot have absolute anarchy and no rules etc but its also one of the things I like about Thailand. To a point, you can do what you want, safely, not endangering anyone etc. I have ridden on the pavement sometimes were the alternative, to get 50 metres down the road, was a 5 kilometre round trip on a busy road, a couple of uturns etc.

I was out walking the other day with GF, a big wide street and footpath, a kid came out of a soi and rode 20m along the pavement, delivered something to his mums noodle stand then 20m on to the next soi, i presume to go back home (would have been a 2 kilometre trip and 2 uturns on a busy road if he took the road).. I didnt even notice, the kid came nowhere near us, was travelling at walking pace etc. A westerner walking behind us went off his nut, yelling in German, waving his arms around, trying to get us involved etc. The kid did nothing dangerous, as I said it didnt even register with us. The german guy wanted the police called. There is appropriate law enforcement and there is the anally retentive nanny state, where the German guy wants to live.

Childish BS

Give them an inch and they will take a mile, hence the on going slaughter

Just take 2/3 of today's threads if you don't believe me

• Like 2

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

The cops need to blitz Ramkhamhaeng Road, they will catch dozens of motorcyclists driving on the footpath every day,  around soi 21 to 39 (and more) you have to continuously tread carefully to not get hit or swiped 18 hours every day by numerous motorcycles. Plus many of the riders clearly have an attitude they have a right to drive on the footpath and often way too fast. Never seen a cop on this road checking this subject.  

Sukhumvit Road, Lad Prao Road too: more than ever!

Often have the police come past me riding on the pavement followed by other motorbikes. 

Most of the people I see getting fined are being done below Phrom Phong BTS normally by cops who have their own bikes parked on the pavement. 

It's all a bit of a joke. 

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

If you want to keep riding your motorbike on the pavement, make sure you have a good bank book, because if you kill or injure any Thai person, it will cost you a fortune no matter what insurance you have, and there is also the slight chance you might meet me walking on that same sidewalk, think of the consequences then.

• Haha 2

Who really cares?? I prefer to  live in a place that allows bikes on the sidewalks if the traffic is log jammed —-especially if I am on the back of the motorbike trying to get somewhere.  Part of the common sense approach and joy of life in Thailand IMO.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Who really cares?? I prefer to  live in a place that allows bikes on the sidewalks if the traffic is log jammed —-especially if I am on the back of the motorbike trying to get somewhere.  Part of the common sense approach and joy of life in Thailand IMO.  

Common sense you say, oh do please keep them coming you are worth getting out of bed for in the morning

• Haha 2

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, scorecard said:

The cops need to blitz Ramkhamhaeng Road, they will catch dozens of motorcyclists driving on the footpath every day,  around soi 21 to 39 (and more) you have to continuously tread carefully to not get hit or swiped 18 hours every day by numerous motorcycles. Plus many of the riders clearly have an attitude they have a right to drive on the footpath and often way too fast. Never seen a cop on this road checking this subject.  

Unut bts as well the taxi bikes have almost run me down they don't f care expect you to get out of the way. when you are on the footpath.