Lone Star Texas Grill. Really?

soistalker

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Makro are cheaper but I like the thicker farmhouse steak fries.

A Google seach for "beef tenderlion" netted 35,000 results, maybe it's a real cut ?

Tried  potato wedges from Villa ?   God we must be sad people talking about chips ?

• Haha 1

I'm assuming you have never eaten here.  The food here is not that bad for Pattaya standards.  No I have never been to Texas but I have eaten all over the world.  What is absolutely atrocious here is the wait staff service.  

Edited by AlexCanada
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

I'm assuming you have never eaten here.  The food here is not that bad for Pattaya standards.  No I have never been to Texas but I have eaten all over the world.  What is absolutely atrocious here is the wait staff service.  

Go to Beefeater for top rate waiting service. Expect to pay considerably more for your food.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, champers said:

Go to Beefeater for top rate waiting service. Expect to pay considerably more for your food.

Been to Beefeater many times because other guys want to go.  I actually didn't like it the first two times but it has since grown on me.  I really like the potato au gratin there.  Not saying the steak is better or worse but I prefer having a steak at Calles a few feet away from Beefeater.

I really miss La Queue de Cheval steakhouse in Montreal.  They allow you to select your cut of beef there.  World class service and steak but considerably more expensive than Beefeater.  

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, champers said:

I like the tenderloin steak; very tender and tasty. The restaurant is good value for money; OP should give it a try.

Why would I  eat inauthentic food by people who have never been anywhere close to Texas?

I ate in a Mexican restaurant in Korea a few times. The owners like to Google Mexican recipes and give it a go. They'd never even met a Mexican.

Edited by soistalker
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Haven't been to the LoneStar here in LOS, but have been to many throughout Canada (many a night, taking part/celebrating in the 72oz marathon) .  One of the best steaks (and service) I've had here, has been at Prime19 in Khao Yai.

20 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

I really miss La Queue de Cheval steakhouse in Montreal.  They allow you to select your cut of beef there.  World class service and steak but considerably more expensive than Beefeater.  

...or the simple things,  Lafleur for a hot dog, Schwartz's for a smoked meat, real fries and a half sour.  Omg, my mouth is watering now.  Time to get home for a visit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanuckThai said:

Haven't been to the LoneStar here in LOS, but have been to many throughout Canada (many a night, taking part/celebrating in the 72oz marathon) .  One of the best steaks (and service) I've had here, has been at Prime19 in Khao Yai.

No no no.  This thread is not about the international Lone Star Steakhouse chain.  This thread is about an one-off restaurant on Soi Lengkee with the owner selecting a very similar name to the famous steak restaurant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

Why would I  eat inauthentic food by people who have never been anywhere close to Texas?

I ate in a Mexican restaurant in Korea a few times. The owners like to Google Mexican recipes and give it a go. They'd never even met a Mexican.

Does a steak house owner have to be from Texas or are you upset that he used the word Texas in his restaurant name?  I'd argue that my Kobe beef I had in Japan is better than Texas beef but that is one opinion versus another.

There are many Indian restaurants in Pattaya with chefs from India.  If we used your argument they should be good.  Reality is they are all terrible.  

15 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

Does a steak house owner have to be from Texas or are you upset that he used the word Texas in his restaurant name?  I'd argue that my Kobe beef I had in Japan is better than Texas beef but that is one opinion versus another.

There are many Indian restaurants in Pattaya with chefs from India.  If we used your argument they should be good.  Reality is they are all terrible.  

They aren't all terrible. How many have your tried that you know that? 

21 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I lived in Mexico for a year and I much prefer Tex-Mex or California-Mex than the 'authentic" Mexican food.

Why can a proper chef who knows cooking, not cook food outside his ethnicity or country of origin?

Many Michelin starred British chefs serving French fine dining in England.

The ethnicity thing is a can of worms. Hopefully not literally. It really helps to KNOW what the food is supposed to taste like if you're trying to do something at least somewhat authentic. So in that sense native chefs are much more likely to KNOW what the food is supposed to taste like if they grew up on it. On the other hand great chefs not matching nationality can do versions of cuisines that might even be more interesting / more delicious than most native chefs. 

Nationalities don't "own" their cuisines. Food is global and it's getting more so.

An example of one of the most renowned Mexican food experts ever isn't Mexican -- Briton Diana Kennedy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Kennedy

There are a lot of nationalist / ethnic assumptions about food. I guess it can't be helped. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it’s not the recipe that makes food authentic but the person cooking or owning the kitchen?

what if cooks worked in Texas or owners lived in Texas or owners were cooks at a restaurant owned by someone from Texas ?

Would that be acceptable by OP?

28 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

Wait..what? You drinking?

1 minute ago, soistalker said:

If you haven't been to the country/place of the food you are cooking or have someone who has been, and learned it there, instructing you, you can't make authentic cuisine from that area. 

You can't Google authentic.

And how did they learn to cook in the country of origin? No one instructed? Born with cooking skills and recipes 

18 minutes ago, soistalker said:

If you haven't been to the country/place of the food you are cooking or have someone who has been, and learned it there, instructing you, you can't make authentic cuisine from that area. 

You can't Google authentic.

Yes you can google authentic.

There are a ton of Texans on Youtube demonstrating how to make authentic Texas BBQ.

Any decent chef can figure it out.

If the customers don't find it up to snuff, the restaurant will close.

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

If customers don't don't find it "authentic" they won't come back.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No first hand information.

But a mate (a meat type) was there yesterday and found it "very good".

"TEXAS"

In European cities you have to search carefully to find an "Italian Restaurant" where Italians work :biggrin: "Texas Style" would be more adequate.

173.jpg

174.jpg

$18 for that???? OMG ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1