Lone Star Texas Grill. Really?

soistalker

30 minutes ago, fanjita said:

I tend to agree.  It doesn't exactly look appetising, more bland and dry.

It was not bland and dry.

My mate has a cheap phone and is not a photo pro.

You can't judge taste of a meal from an amateur mobile phone photo!

Put a photo of your meal and we can compare.

379 Baht for the tenderloin: some posters seem to have no idea what steaks at other places cost not to speak of imported beef.

In the same street walk up a few houses and study the menu at Smokin' Joe's BBQ.

We were together at Chalet Suisse (off from Soi 7) and prices start at about 400 for a Chateaubriand from local beef, 800 from imported beef.

And that is still far from the top cuisine places in Pattaya.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Just grim. Life is too short to eat bad food. A proper steak and sides can be had for 700 baht, why spend 500 baht on a frozen mess?

If you can’t afford proper Western food, learn to enjoy good Thai food. It’s clean, healthy, cheap and delicious.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, soistalker said:

If you haven't been to the country/place of the food you are cooking or have someone who has been, and learned it there, instructing you, you can't make authentic cuisine from that area. 

You can't Google authentic.

I disagree.  If you have the exact same recipe and use all the exact same ingredients and cook it the exact same way, what would be the difference?  Just the locale and atmosphere.  

13 hours ago, fanjita said:

My wife likes to cook.

2017-12-25 10.27.28.jpg

Looks lovely but surely the point of this thread, according to the op, is that food should not be judged on its appearance or taste but on the where the chef or, apparently service staff, are from.

33 minutes ago, soistalker said:

Go ahead and Google making kimchee. Then try to make it tomorrow in Thailand. You'll notice two things: it will not taste anything like Korean kimchee and it will be the least authentic dish on the planet. 

Kimchi?

Anyway Pattaya people can buy both Korean and decent Thai made kimchi at local Korean grocery stores. I go to the one in North Pattaya in the Korean restaurant mini-mall at the Burger King. 

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

Looks like steak and (frozen) chips to me ?

I wonder what part of the cow the "tenderlion" is :whistling:

Oh, Crossy, obviously the part that is still pink and Roar!!!  like a tender lion!!!  (raw/rare? 555.

The Lone Stars chain in my country was started by South Africans.  Still good steaks.   Some of the best French restaurants do not have any French staff.    The best Mexican in my country was started by a Kiwi who learned Mexican  cooking from a Dutchman in Amsterdam and perfected it in Brazil.  But the boys from ZZ Top love his food and still come to eat every time they are in the country.

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

Go ahead and Google making kimchee. Then try to make it tomorrow in Thailand. You'll notice two things: it will not taste anything like Korean kimchee and it will be the least authentic dish on the planet. 

Oh... so we're done with why there's no real Texans at the resto in question?

Or is kimchi a side at a 'Texas Grill'?

Oh wait...

HRC-WBT-Busan-Korean-Kimchi-Burger.jpg.93344f31f3161bfc448e724448ac586a.jpg

FWIW, buy a bag of imported Korean kimchi at Villa, Central Foodhall or wherever and it doesn't 'taste anything like Korean kimchee' either.

On 9/23/2018 at 7:09 PM, KhunBENQ said:

It was not bland and dry.

My mate has a cheap phone and is not a photo pro.

You can't judge taste of a meal from an amateur mobile phone photo!

Put a photo of your meal and we can compare.

379 Baht for the tenderloin: some posters seem to have no idea what steaks at other places cost not to speak of imported beef.

In the same street walk up a few houses and study the menu at Smokin' Joe's BBQ.

We were together at Chalet Suisse (off from Soi 7) and prices start at about 400 for a Chateaubriand from local beef, 800 from imported beef.

And that is still far from the top cuisine places in Pattaya.

I don't judge due to low photo quality but

the salad - the bell pepper seems to be the most expensive part - large one in Tesco is 30 THB... there is maybe 8 THB worth

french fries - look like frozen from supermarket... McDonald's makes something like 90% of profit on soft drinks and fries because they cost nothing in production costs

the two things - is that coleslaw and gravy? Hardly large cost items

beef - yes imported grass fed beef is expensive here, but is it on the plate? Or is it regular beef? Considering the frozen fries I would bet it's not the highest quality. And it is TINY size

so what is the % gross profit margin on that? Same like on the soda which is 6 THB in 711 and 49 THB there?

I don't mind to pay for good food, but that looks like ripoff

I googled how to make kimchee.

Found a delightful Korean/American showing her "authentic" recipe.

Seemed straightforward enough and other than substituting Chinese cabbage for Korean, and daikon for Korean radish seemed straight forward and easy to make.

Bet it tastes both authentic and delicious.

McDonalds in Thailand is entirely staffed by Thai. Does it taste exactly like Mikky D's  in the West? Absolutely!

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 12:36 AM, AlexCanada said:

Been to Beefeater many times because other guys want to go.  I actually didn't like it the first two times but it has since grown on me.  I really like the potato au gratin there.  Not saying the steak is better or worse but I prefer having a steak at Calles a few feet away from Beefeater.

I really miss La Queue de Cheval steakhouse in Montreal.  They allow you to select your cut of beef there.  World class service and steak but considerably more expensive than Beefeater.  

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who go to Thailand, one of if not THE best country in the world for food, and complain about the beef.  If you want to eat good beef go to a beef country.   Don't go to Thailand.  

Kinda like going to Texas and complaining about the Thai food.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lapd said:

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who go to Thailand, one of if not THE best country in the world for food, and complain about the beef.  If you want to eat good beef go to a beef country.   Don't go to Thailand.  

Kinda like going to Texas and complaining about the Thai food.

I reckon that there is very good Thai food on offer in Texas. 

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I reckon that there is very good Thai food on offer in Texas. 

But at what price?  I assumed it goes without saying the complaints involve quality and/or price.  But that doesn't stop internet randos from finding reasons to throw rocks.

I reckon you should go back to Texas if the beef is not up to your standards and the people aren't chronically obese enough for you and don't speak in an annoying illiterate sounding twang in their voice.  

Edited by lapd

6 minutes ago, lapd said:

But at what price?  I assumed it goes without saying the complaints involve quality and/or price.  But that doesn't stop internet randos from finding reasons to throw rocks.

I reckon you should go back to Texas if the beef is not up to your standards and the people aren't obese enough for you and don't speak in an annoying illiterate sounding twang in their voice.  

Plenty of cheap and good beef in Vietnam.

What makes Thailand that special that a steak should cost 2 day salary of average worker?

Bangkok - HCMC is 850km on road... so what makes it special?

7 minutes ago, AtoZ said:

What makes Thailand that special that a steak should cost 2 day salary of average worker?

You sure that is beef and not dog?  Or beef mixed with dog?

I don't think raising beef cattle domestically works very well in Thailand.  Probably because of the climate.

Also, Thais just aren't big fans of beef.  So fewer beef eaters means fewer imports and higher cost.

Edited by lapd

1 minute ago, lapd said:

You sure that is beef and not dog?  Or beef mixed with dog?

To answer the real question.  It's about land.  There is a limited amount of land and raising cattle requires lots of land and lots of feed.  Beef is the most inefficent and pollution causing food source in the world.  Using that land for growing rice is way more cost effective.

Also, Thais just aren't big fans of beef.

Load of BS... 500,000 km2 not enough? lol

Why they don't get it from Vietnam? And no it is not a dog, even imported beef there is much cheaper than here.

Or why pork ribs are 2-3x of price in store in compare with Europe? Thailand has massive pork industry.... or does pork ribs comes from cattle too?

2 minutes ago, AtoZ said:

Load of BS... 500,000 km2 not enough? lol

Why they don't get it from Vietnam? And no it is not a dog, even imported beef there is much cheaper than here.

Or why pork ribs are 2-3x of price in store in compare with Europe? Thailand has massive pork industry.... or does pork ribs comes from cattle too?

I see.   So everything in Thailand sucks and is too expensive.  I think you should go back to whatever cheap rib European eutopia you come from.

Edited by lapd

3 minutes ago, lapd said:

Ahhh, so you are using the alternate universe pricing.  That explains it.  Pork ribs are very inexpensive in Thailand compared to many western countries.  If they are too expensive for you maybe you should back to Europe.

Don't forget to again edit your post (as the one above) after extracting more BS with zero data or arguments.

13 minutes ago, AtoZ said:

Don't forget to again edit your post (as the one above) after extracting more BS with zero data or arguments.

Where is this European eutopia where ribs are 3x cheaper than Thailand?  Why are you in Thailand when you could be back in that eutopia eating cheap ribs and better beef?

Thailand food sucks after all.  And you are apparently on a mission to spread the word.  I mean, why would anyone go to Thailand and eat, you know, Thai food, and all sorts of other excellent food, when they can spend every waking hour complaining about the beef and cost of the ribs.

The ribs are inexpensive compared to lots of places but you probably already know that and are just here to piss and moan about food in Thailand.  So I call bullshit on your 3x cheaper nonsense.

Edited by lapd

27 minutes ago, AtoZ said:

There are few quality beef herds in Thailand. Thai Buddhism is influenced by Hinduism thus many Thais do mot eat beef. Most quality beef is imported thus it is more expensive. If you were on holiday in Israel would you complain about the quality of Bacon? I get excellent tenderloin topped with pate de  foie gras at the Auberge in Pratumnak. The best selection of imported beef is at the Steak company next door but one to the Lone Star Grill, The New Steak house and grill on Thapraya has an excellent selection and The ABC is brilliant. 

I was disgusted and disappointed when I visited "Planet Hollywood" in London and discovered that it wasn't actually a planet, neither was it anywhere near Hollywood.

I refused to enter and walked to a kebab bar nearby.

I managed to contain my annoyance that the "Bosphorus Kebab Bar" did not have a view across the Bosphorus as I was too hungry to care by that time.

OP, your post sounds like something from "Viz" magazine.

• Like 1