Does anybody actually pay for music anymore?

giddyup

Does anybody actually pay for music anymore?

Assuming the likes of  Verdi, Beethoven or Mozart are still collecting residuals, I've paid for their work via iTunes over the years.  Can't think of any artists after the 1980's era whose music I've wanted or which I'd pay for. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Assuming the likes of  Verdi, Beethoven or Mozart are still collecting residuals, I've paid for their work via iTunes over the years.  Can't think of any artists after the 1980's era whose music I've wanted or which I'd pay for. 

Nope, the copyrights have expired of those artists, you can use their work for free and make money of it (give classical concerts). The money you paid went to the orchestras performing the specific pieces you bought.

Nowadays artists get rich from touring (concerts), merchandise, paid downloads, commercials on their youtube channel, etc.

I dont buy any music; my favorite artists upload their whole performances and hits to their youtube channels where i watch them. They only get ad income from that. 

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

I often wonder how any of these current pop music stars get as rich as they are when there is so much music available for free downloads,

They get financing other ways, Louis Fonsi has made an estimated $5M as his share from the 'Despacito' video, around 5.5 Billion viewings, just on Youtube.

Edited by BritManToo

The amounts of money being earned by recording artists (or certainly their labels) bordered on the obscene a while back. They should earn a good living, even be a bit rich, but its just music. Balance is being restored and many really great new artists will get aired. Now, what can we do about sports personalities?... ???? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't pay anything. Download from Youtube, convert whatever it is to MP3, save on a USB stick. Simple.

you are so fortunate... in not being laboured with the possession of ears that can only appreciate broadcast quality !

Anything short of having a 44k sampling rate is well, ummm......

and those compression/decompression losses with MP3 playback are blaaaahhh!!!

p.s. I am a spolit MiniDisc brat

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tifino said:

you are so fortunate... in not being laboured with the possession of ears that can only appreciate broadcast quality !

I thought I was reasonably conversant with the English language. Apparently not.

I mainly listen to Mozart, Bach, Beethoven plus opera. If I'm missing some tonal quality, it doesn't seem to interfere with my enjoyment.

• Like 1

I can't remember the last time I purchased anything from either itunes or Amazon.

I just stream music now.

Strangely, when I was loading purchased music onto phones, ipods I used to spend all my time skipping tracks, but streaming sorta takes that away which is way better

To give you some food for thought, when I was working in promotion, the company I worked for paid Alicia Keys $500,000 for one performance (well, paid to her manager anyway).

As far as buying music, I wouldn't mind starting a record collection here but I suspect they may warp in this heat. The current streaming system is awesome and makes it very easy to discover new bands.

12 hours ago, tifino said:

Agree completely.  If you haven’t listened to SACD, you’re in for a real treat.  It’s too bad that it never caught on but there are still many titles available.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

It won't be long until youtube will no longer be free. They will be The source for music and movies in the near future, for a small price.

Yeah especially when you tubing on a smalso phone screen... those pop-ups cajolinget victims to accidentally sign up for YouTube red $$$. 

2 hours ago, akirasan said:

To give you some food for thought, when I was working in promotion, the company I worked for paid Alicia Keys $500,000 for one performance (well, paid to her manager anyway).

As far as buying music, I wouldn't mind starting a record collection here but I suspect they may warp in this heat. The current streaming system is awesome and makes it very easy to discover new bands.

I've yet to see any of my USB sticks warp in the Thai climate. Have so much on them I could spend the rest of my life listening to them, if I didn't have other hobbies.

I have about 1000 tracks stored on an 8 GB USB, with 2 GB left over. Imagine what I could do with a 64 GB thumb drive. The purists can be dismayed, each to their own.

• Like 1

Not just music. Movies as well.

Seems the internet and digital recording has made a lot of people think it's OK to be a thief.

The shame of the music scene now is that the quirky music that I enjoyed as a youngster will never be made now, as there is no money in it. Songs like Ray Stevens made ( Ahab the Arab etc ). The stuff that is being made I don't like, or won't pay the rip off prices at concerts to see. I'd love to see Fleetwood Mac, but the price they want would be way too high for me.

Between us the Thai wife and I spend maybe 300-400 baht a month on music from Apple iTunes store. Lately I've been downloading from Youtube into MP3s as well. Historically I saved all of my legit CDs to my harddrive and loaded into iTunes. There was also a 3-4 year period where I used Limewire to find and download a ton of music.

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't pay anything. Download from Youtube, convert whatever it is to MP3, save on a USB stick. Simple.

I do the same, save to MP4, synch to my droid phone, then link to my flatscreen in the car with bluetooth to get music videos while I drive. 

I'm gonna give a shout out for Tunein.

Hundreds, maybe thousands of streaming radio stations, all for nothing.

Some are just regular broadcast stations, other internet only, but there is something there for everyone at no cost.

Can't remember when I listened to 'real' radio in the car even. 4G internet is ubiquitous, so along with bluetooth, and they fact they have a great car interface on their app, it's seamless.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:55 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Some are just regular broadcast stations, other internet only, but there is something there for everyone at no cost.

Can't remember when I listened to 'real' radio in the car even. 4G internet is ubiquitous, so along with bluetooth, and they fact they have a great car interface on their app, it's seamless.

4G, damn, I haven't even got around to 3G and they added another category to add to my confusion.

On 9/27/2018 at 9:20 AM, Henryford said:

I already have copies of all the real music made up to about 1990. I wouldn't give tuppence for anything made after that.

My father thought the same thing about all music after 1956.

• Like 1

I just signed up for a free trial on Tidal (Jay-Z’s streaming service).  In Hi-Fi mode (฿258/mo) it definitely sounds much better than anything I have purchased through ITunes but still not up there with SACD quality.  Unfortunately, SACDs are pretty much discontinued and buying them is outrageously expensive.

On 9/27/2018 at 1:55 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I'm gonna second your shout out! Agree with everything you say and it's all free. I find you get a string of adverts when it starts up, then the occasional advert as you would on any commercial radio.

And for those who want permanent copies of music...1 word....TORRENTS!