What price a little girl's life? One million say family, too much says dog owner

webfact

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I doubt the Thai lawmakers are reading your opinions. 

What would be the penalty in your country for this offence? Would the family of the deceased get compensation? Would the courts care about the opinion of a long term tourist?

I know that the punishment for a child being savaged by dogs wouldn't be lessened by the fact one side had given money to the other.

8 hours ago, MROLL320 said:

Near my house a thai neighbour told me her dog will bite and to keep my son away... The dog roams free? But apparently should it bite us now its our fault, because she's told us? 

Poison the dog. It might save the life of your child. 

7 hours ago, MrJerome said:

.Are we in a savanna in Africa?????

No we are in Thailand. Africans, whilst capable of atrocities, in general value tribe in general and children in particular.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I know that the punishment for a child being savaged by dogs wouldn't be lessened by the fact one side had given money to the other.

So because this happens in your country, any country differing is wrong. Rather a colonial outlook.

In my country, there would be a large fine paid to the state. I think it is better going to the family.

Edited by Neeranam

Just now, Neeranam said:

So because this happens in your country, any country differing is wrong. Rather a colonial outlook.

No, just an understanding that punishment, in a case like this should not be modified, because payment has been made to one side.

Nothing to do with countries.

Just right and wrong.

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

No, just an understanding that punishment, in a case like this should not be modified, because payment has been made to one side.

Nothing to do with countries.

Just right and wrong.

Do you think the child's family should be allowed to sue the dog owner, like they do in western countries?

8 hours ago, Elkski said:

So sad.   So 33,000 USD.   Sickening this Thailand place.   Fricking disgusting.  

sickening is your misinterpretation of

Piyawadee, 40 - said she didn't have that kind of money.

:dry:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Do you think the child's family should be allowed to sue the dog owner, like they do in western countries?

I don't care what people do with regard to money.

I just do not see why the payment of money should lessen the punishment in a case like this.

A child is dead because of the dog owners failure to control them.

Edited by Bluespunk

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

I don't care what people do with regard to money.

I just do not see why the payment of money should lessen the punishment in a case like this.

A child is dead because of the dog owners failure to control them.

I'm not sure if I follow you.

The penalty in a case like this is often compensation, so if it has already been paid, surely it should be considered.

I agree that people who can afford to give more should not get fairer treatment.

It still is hard to understand the cultural differences where a violent incident occurs and attempts at individual justice are the preferred route to a resolution. There are too many crimes that are not limited to individuals but are having an impact on society.  

Should be: Law/ transgression / fair judgment/ punishment. Not: oops/ not really my fault/ pittance offered

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm not sure if I follow you.

The penalty in a case like this is often compensation, so if it has already been paid, surely it should be considered.

I agree that people who can afford to give more should not get fairer treatment.

Here is the quote I responded to.

"Lt Col Thongsuk Ratsiwon said that this was the first compensation meeting between the two sides.

He said that this was separate to the ongoing criminal offense matter though the court might use its discretion to give a lesser sentence if the two sides can agree on compensation"

My point is quite simple.

Compensation should not result in a more lenient sentence in a case like this.

The killing of a child by dogs, because of an owners negligence, should result in the harshest penalty, regardless of who has been paid what.

Yes lawsuits have been very beneficial in Western societies.  But the settlement numbers have gotten out of hand.    I don't know the right solution.   I understand the feelings of wanting revenge that some express.   It's easy for most of us to visualize this and being this parent with such a dreadful loss in such a violent needless manner.   

If a dog bites once I say it should be the rule to put it down.  No other facts matter.  No matter if it's on lease, in it's in yard with guests, or if it gets out.    Loose dog penaties should more than pay for dog catchers.  A whole new career path.  

Dogs should not run free.  Period.  The buddists need to have a revelation that dogs are indeed not some form of human or whatever BS.    

A settlement should not effect criminal sentence one bit.  

This parent needs to hold out for a large settlement.  It may prevent another death.   

Screw all you pet lovers who value  your pets anywhere close to human life.   Before I die I will taste dog meat.  Lewis and Clark preferred it over all other meats available. Elk, antelope, deer, bison, moose.

Edited by Elkski

I might suggest tying the irresponsible owner up to the

point where they have about the same defence capability of that little girl. Have three attack dogs ready, with all parties in a fenced area, and ask her how much she would pay to not have the dogs released. A baganing position is established, cut a cheque, then release the dogs anyway.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Terrible, if that was my daughter the old crow and her dogs would be going in the crematorium first........ What a shame.......

Can't do it on the same day or you will spend the rest of your life in jail.... Slowly slowly, catchy monkey

11 minutes ago, jrjrjr said:

If the girl was not born she would not be dead !

Just as if foreigners were not in Thailand nothing could happen to them here !

Wow, you must be on some really strong meds if that’s your view. Go see your doc and get them reduced. 

RIP little one. 

8 hours ago, anterian said:

All the comments I have read are based on western cultural values. If one is a firm believer in both reincarnation and also dharma, then this will lead to a different attitude towards death.  

Are you for real?  Or another 'apologist' for this kind of mentality.  Some things are just not acceptable, in any culture, and using culture as an excuse for appalling moral standards just is not good enough.  There are acceptable standards of behaviour and thinking that everybody should aspire to regardless of culture.  It's called evolution and we should all evolve over time to be better people.  Frankly this story is very upsetting because it exposes some very unsavoury things about certain 'cultures'.  Any dog that bites a human should be destroyed; no argument.  Any human that keeps such a dog, or dogs, should spend time in prison, as it was their direct responsibility to prevent such a thing happening.  And their limp-wristed attitude towards the rights of others to be safe from their animals has caused the death of an innocent. 

And spouting off about reincarnation and dharma (I think you meant Karma there, as dharma is something very different and roughly translated from sanskrit means 'duty' or 'path through life'.  I am not knocking the theory of reincarnation, but if you are going to use it to validate an argument you have to prove it exists.  Good luck with that one.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sir Swagman said:

I might suggest tying the irresponsible owner up to the

point where they have about the same defence capability of that little girl. Have three attack dogs ready, with all parties in a fenced area, and ask her how much she would pay to not have the dogs released. A baganing position is established, cut a cheque, then release the dogs anyway.

Nice idea, but may I suggest Tigers and not dogs.  No shortage of them down in Sri Racha, and I'm sure they could do with a bit more meat in their diet.

• Like 1

I'm always chocked to see a numeric price for a life.

There is no business with life.

Price should be nothing less than jail and no THB.

Why ? Imagine someone is rich... then he can make his dog kill people at any THB for each (who is nothing for him/her because he/she is rich).

That is definitely not a good way to make a relation with, and/or compare life and money.

But this is my mind thinking.

10 minutes ago, Frotting said:

Nice idea, but may I suggest Tigers and not dogs.  No shortage of them down in Sri Racha, and I'm sure they could do with a bit more meat in their diet.

Wolves would do the job too.... 

I read they eat 40lbs of meat in one meal, hence the expression " as hungry as a wolf"