Psychopath living in my condo building // possibly needing to relocate - thoughts?

thedevilandgod

2 hours ago, thedevilandgod said:

From what I was told by management, yes—the property was pet-friendly from day one. Initially the condo was zoned (or something, not sure) for 20kg at time of purchase, but as of now they only allow up to 15kg dogs.

I agree about the idiocy, but he's so stubborn that he wants to change the place's rules to not be pet-friendly. Since the beginning, his consistent arguing and fighting has forced our condo to change juristic managers about five times (they all quit, because he said "my job is to either get you fired or make you quit"), and he has managed to get them to change the rules so that dogs aren't allowed in the regular elevators (only the half-working service lifts), and car parks (makes no sense if I want to drive with my dog somewhere). His latest thing is to ban dogs from walking in the front of the buildings—that they can only walk in a single strip of pavement near the service lifts in the back. He says it's because he doesn't want to walk in piss. Logical, except for the fact that you live in Bangkok where filth is the norm—about a week ago they caught a driver pissing on the ground next to the building. He was well aware he could use our facilities, but chose to do so anyway.

He refuses to sell, anyway. Makes no sense, since there's hundreds of beautiful, new, no-pet condos in our area alone.

On second note, I received a line message last night from a random person in our building saying they just filed a police report yesterday, so something must've happened again while we're traveling...

It requires 50% + of owners to agree the condo rules and I bet his point is it never happened (as in most condos). He's going about it the wrong way of course but all condos I know are strictly 'no pets'.

9 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I'm totally against dogs in condos was there a 50% owner majority at an AGM/EGM?  I doubt it!  

It really makes big fat zero difference what you against and or owners meeting.

if true, that German moron is out of line and need to be put back in line. 

If there was no meetin and OP is in the wrong, notices and warnings are issued not threats to kill owner or a pet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, thedevilandgod said:

Any lawyers here?

And would you believe a lawyer on TVF? Surely there are many in your area, go talk to one. Even if your condo allows dogs, there must be some limits regarding annoyance in public areas so it remains to be seen whether the German really doesn't have a case - setting aside his behaviour for a moment.

By threatening the german guy you have given him ammunition and he can now accuse you just as you accuse him. Anyway, good luck in finding an acceptable solution.

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Collin maybe you should fooling yourself, I don't often disagree with you but I keep a dog too. 

My dog never has fleas, there are medicine to give a dog to make sure they don't get fleas (Bavko / Front line). If the dog is an indoor dog he won't get real dirty.. keeping an outdoor dog inside will result in a dirty dog. So your dog does he roam free outside ? If so I can understand.

My 25 kg dog (non condo) is a house dog even sleeps in the bedroom does not smell get showered enough but because he does not walk outside alone he can't get real dirty. You just can't compare dogs that stay inside almost always with dogs that can go out and roam.. the latter will smell bad. 

I of course agree that if someone comes to my home he / she will smell the dog but I don't anymore.

You ask does the dog roam free, yes she does sometimes, then chained at night.

She runs around the garden digging things up, runs in/around the cows.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You ask does the dog roam free, yes she does sometimes, then chained at night.

She runs around the garden digging things up, runs in/around the cows.

Then I understand that your dog is smelly, but we are talking about house dogs.. for a dog to smell it needs to get dirty.. house dogs dont have that opportunity. 

My dog get walked by me on a leash.. no chance for him to get real dirty.. and the anti flea stuff we use makes sure he never has fleas or ticks. (took a while to find the right stuff). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a horrible situation, and a horrible neighbour. You have a few choices:

1. Legal action. You need evidence - phone video recording is acceptable here. Could drag on for a long time, could exacerbate the situation. And the final judgement may not fix the problem anyway, unless he gets evicted - presumably not likely for an owner-occupier.

2. Leave. I would probably chose this route - life is too short to waste with people like him. But I don't know how easy it would be find another dog-friendly condo block.

3. Retaliate. Not advisable, you don't want to get prosecuted for assault, or get invloved in a fight with a psychopath, even if he's very small and you're very big!

4. Raise it at the management committee - seems like this has already failed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From what i read from you he is only treatening woman so i think to give him a few b...slaps will do the job . If not maybe its an idea to go to the police as a group of dog owners and make the complaint all together instead of one at a time every time . As its a dog friendly condo you are all in your rights and he is not because it was dog friendly already when he bought .if you buy a condo above from a bar you cannot complain about loud music. Buy one above from a restaurant you cannot complain about smell . But as i said first try to give him a few b....slaps german pussy only threatening woman threatening to buy a gun . Someone who says things like that is never going to do anything people who really do something dont threaten 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thedevilandgod said:

Since this was mentioned twice already ... many people keep small-medium dogs (~10kg) in condos here. Unfortunately due to the location, work, commuting, and the like, it becomes a matter of convenience and of necessity to find a place that is suitable for our family. This condo met most of these expectations, aside from greenery for the dogs, which we remedy by taking our dog to several dog parks in the area. She has no fleas or ticks, we wash her twice weekly, and she's probably cleaner than most people. There are workers and tenants here that throw half-eaten food on the ground every day, which attracts rats and bugs. Explain to me how my dog is any less clean than that. We flew her from America with us, and she's more of a house-pet than anything else.

The idea of pet-friendly condos wouldn't exist if your logic was correct, yeah? Sorry not everyone has the same consideration for pets. Keeping a dog on a leash outside is probably a good way to have it smell, or attract fleas. 

In regards to the 25kg dog, did I not mention we're looking for a new place? He was hit by a car and we felt we could financially provide for him to have a safe home to heal up and live a healthy life. Yeah, we might temporarily break the rules, but clearly our condo and their management disregard rules if they allow a man to threaten women (while they are alone) that he will kill them and their dogs over something so simple as a dog being outside.

I'd say that a man who has (1) slapped a woman in the face for carrying her dog (in a pet carrier) through the car garage, (2) sped up while driving through the lot to hit a lady's dog, (3) has numerous police reports on him for threats, (4) has clearly stated he will buy a gun…is more the problem than I am. You sound like you two would get along.

It doesn't matter you are looking for a new home, you knew that you can not keep the dog where you are now. You break the rule intentionally. Why should other people "suffer" now you have 2 dogs with one of them almost twice the size allowed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This German guy is clearly a wacko, and my guess us he will will never move, so the choice is yours. Continue your fight until somebody gets hurt or move out. As you can read on this forum, not everybody supports dogs in a condominium. I live in a condo no pets allowed but my neighbour keeps a little bugger. They take it up and down the elevator in a small trolley and I don’t hear any barking so I tollerate this rule breaker. All depends if there is mutual understanding..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

This German guy is clearly a wacko, and my guess is he will never move, so the choice is yours. Continue your fight until somebody gets hurt or move out. As you can read on this forum, not everybody supports dogs in a condominium. I live in a condo no pets allowed but my neighbour keeps a little bugger. They take it up and down the elevator in a small trolley and I don’t hear any barking so I tollerate this rule breaker. All depends if there is mutual understanding..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, ThailandLOS said:

Are you for real dude? Obviously the <deleted> threatening the woman.

Anyone that doesn't stand up for their family is not worth to be called a man. I guess you belong in that category.

Preach. I'm surprised how few on this board see my (our) point. Were some of you raised to let others speak to your family in such a way?

We did everything by the rules - rented this condo knowing fully that it was a pet-friendly condo that our first dog (which came with us from the US) could live in; she has all of her proper vaccinations; she is regularly cleaned and groomed; we pick up her poop and even spray a mix of water, soap, and a tiny bit of bleach to clean/disinfect whatever is left over; and we are respectful to staff and management. We regularly buy them little snacks and treats when we go to the food store, hold open doors for them (you'd be surprised how little respect others have for the workers), etc.

Unfortunately, shit happens, and we "rescued" a dog (he was in bad shape from the car accident), I physically carried him on a moped to a pet hospital at 9pm and we paid for all of his medical costs/surgery, and we're adopting him because he's going to need time to heal. He's better behaved than most dogs (and people). But that's all besides the point. I posted to see if anyone knew of any (1) recourse regarding the German man in the building, and (2) places we could consider moving to (again, doing our best to follow these inane, backwards rules) that allow bigger dogs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, thedevilandgod said:

Brand new here, longtime lurker/reader. We live in Bangkok near Sukhumvit in a pet-friendly condo unit.

Any lawyers here?

Here's the deal (TLDR - story features dogs, psychopath with a hatred for dogs, police)

Our condo is a known pet-friendly condo unit in the Sukhumvit area. They allow dogs up to 15kg, our dog is less than 10 and super friendly.

We've made friends over the months with others in the building, and they always warned us about this one crazy guy from Germany who lives in our building. That he has snuck up behind dog owners and videotaped them, threatened to kill them and their dogs, made gun shooting gestures, said he would buy a gun, etc.

One day, I was teaching in Nonthaburi, and I get a text from my wife (we're both Americans); she is in tears, he apparently threatened to kill her and my dog.

I rush home, by then she went to the police station and filed a formal police report. A day or so later, I see him outside, so I get in between him and his car and tell him I'll break his legs if I ever see him talk to my wife again. He calls the cops on me, slowly other dog owners come out to walk their dogs and see the altercation, they get involved and vouch for me, cops do nothing and basically tell me I am legally allowed to defend my wife (by whatever means) if he makes another violent threat or gesture.

2 months have gone by and our condo ownership hasn't stood up to him, or even issued him a letter. Nothing on behalf of our condo association or their management. The staff and security are AFRAID of him. They tuck their tails and let him boss people around. He's threatened staff, security, everyone.

I know (or at least, I hope) that pushing this story out to the public would do some harm to their image and their "pet-friendliness," which seems to take second-seat to this man's psychotic outbursts and behavior. The police have said that they will get involved and cuff him if he starts shit again. I started a LINE group and private Facebook page to keep other condo tenants in our property in the know about his current outbursts. It's taken off and word has spread throughout our property, but still the management (with whom we've met formally about this situation) haven't even lifted a finger to our defense. We rent, he owns—but that's not enough reason that he can threaten to shoot people (and dogs).

He threatens women, has also apparently kicked a dog while it was in a cage, shoved a woman and her dog out of an elevator in our building (and told her he'd buy a gun and shoot her and her dog)…What recourse do I (or others) have for self-defense, or what legal action can we pursue?

---

On top of this, we just rescued a 25kg soi dog two nights back in Pai that was hit by a car and he is coming home with us (we drove from BKK to Pai and are now in Chiangmai so he can get surgery on his hip). Does anyone know of any good condos/townhouses/areas along Sukhumvit that have some green that we can move to that's pet-friendly for our growing family?

So he's threatened "to kill" your wife by making gestures with his fingers and you know that he hasn't got a gun?  That's it? 

You've threatened to break his legs?

Why should the management take some action against him?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

What a horrible situation, and a horrible neighbour. You have a few choices:

1. Legal action. You need evidence - phone video recording is acceptable here. Could drag on for a long time, could exacerbate the situation. And the final judgement may not fix the problem anyway, unless he gets evicted - presumably not likely for an owner-occupier.

2. Leave. I would probably chose this route - life is too short to waste with people like him. But I don't know how easy it would be find another dog-friendly condo block.

3. Retaliate. Not advisable, you don't want to get prosecuted for assault, or get invloved in a fight with a psychopath, even if he's very small and you're very big!

4. Raise it at the management committee - seems like this has already failed.

Thanks for this. Legal action is what we're considering at this point, other than moving. We are considering the fact that moving will probably forfeit our security, but we have good rapport with our landlord (who agrees with everything going on, and even offered to buy deadbolts for the doors if the guy goes postal).

At this point we're considering a month-to-month in Chiang Mai that we came across, and just making it work as best as possible. It complicates things, but Bangkok is so challenging for a larger dog. I agree, life's too short and Bangkok seems a bit too unforgiving for people trying to help animals. Hoping that we can find something flexible and nearby...

We have video proof of his craziness, as well as photos, and the security has (over the past year or two) videotaped him on multiple occasions (we found this out afterwards).

I'm surprised how little the management will touch him, almost as if they are afraid of him, simply because he's an owner. Not even a letter in his mailbox. They said it's a "sensitive issue" and have been "consulting their legal team" for 35 days as of today. Meanwhile this guy could be figuring out how he wants to poison all of our dogs...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

So he's threatened "to kill" your wife by making gestures with his fingers and you know that he hasn't got a gun?  That's it? 

You've threatened to break his legs?

Why should the management take some action against him?

No one knows anything about him - if he has a gun or not. But the fact is, he has physically assaulted women while they were alone. Again, physical assault - I'm talking slapping a woman in the face, hard enough that she was so shook that she moved out of the condo altogether, simply because she had a dog in a carrier. He also physically kicked a dog in a carrier, simply because it was there.

Yeah, I threatened to break his legs. If the situation played out as it did again, I'd do the same today. I have no shame in that. Maybe it's a cultural thing, maybe it was how I was raised, but if someone threatens physical violence on your family, you don't just let it blow over...

The management should take action against him because he's physically assaulted other tenants and owners. He pushed a Japanese woman, who owns two small dogs and owns 3 units in this building, out of the elevator and then said he'd buy a gun and shoot her and her dogs. He has two police reports against him. He has also harassed staff, screaming until his face is red. I don't understand why everyone's so focused on whether or not this guy has a sound moral compass or if he's in the wrong... maybe this forum is the wrong place to ask for advice.

Edited by thedevilandgod
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1