Boris Johnson demands UK PM May scrap her Brexit proposals

webfact

Boris Johnson demands UK PM May scrap her Brexit proposals

2018-09-27T213232Z_1_LYNXNPEE8Q1UQ_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-POLITICS-JOHNSON.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May sits next to Britain's Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson as she holds the first Cabinet meeting following the general election at 10 Downing Street, in London June 12, 2017. REUTERS/Leon Neal/Pool/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Former British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson called on Prime Minister Theresa May to rip up her Brexit proposals, ratcheting up the pressure on May as she prepares to face her divided party at its annual conference in two days time.

"This is the moment to change the course of the negotiations and do justice to the ambitions and potential of Brexit," Johnson wrote in Friday's Daily Telegraph, adding a six-point alternative plan for Brexit.

"There has been a collective failure of government, and a collapse of will by the British establishment, to deliver on the mandate of the people," he wrote.

Just six months before the United Kingdom is due to leave the European Union on March 29, 2019, little is clear: PM May has yet to clinch a Brexit divorce deal with the EU and rebels in her party have threatened to vote down any deal she makes.

Johnson, one the most prominent campaigners for Brexit in the 2016 referendum, resigned in July as foreign secretary over May's Brexit proposals which he cast in his 4,600-word Daily Telegraph article as "enforced vassalage".

May has repeatedly said her Brexit proposals are the only viable ones.

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-28

It seems like a battle between the UK and the EU neither side wants to lose but neither side can win.

It is affecting business in the UK for sure, my son runs an Estate Agency, nothing is selling, his earnings and that of all his staff are down and this applies to every agent, then that has a knock on effect to conveyancing companies, house removal guys etc, I am trying to rent out one of my flats and for the first time they cannot find a tenant, everybody is waiting until Brexit is resolved before they make any big decisions as nobody knows what Brexit will mean to them.

It's affecting us with our exchange rate being up to 20% less since the vote to leave.

The government should hang it's head in shame at not being able to do a deal by now, and this also leaves the door ajar for Corbyn....God forbid if that happens it's definately  the end of the world for the UK

• Like 2

I think even staunch Leave fans would agree this has been a farce from the very beginning and doesn't look to be abating any time soon. The mishandling of this has been nothing short of criminal and I really can't imagine that anyone who voted Leave at the time ever foresaw just how catastrophic things would be at this stage.

At no point in the beginning (and for quite some time after) was a no-deal scenario ever mentioned and yet here we are, with no-deal being an increasingly likely conclusion to what has been misstep after misstep.  

The goalposts have moved so much now (almost in a different field) there needs to be a second referendum once the final 'deal' is known. The British public didn't vote for this mess and they need another chance to vote on the actual consequences of what Brexit will finally be.

That's the only way we will ever get closure with this and can then start to move on with either a definitive Leave or a definitive Remain. 

• Like 1

You have a staunch Leave politician (Boris Johnson) in a position of little actual power telling the PM (Teresa May) a staunch Remainer that her plan is no good and should be scrapped.

I agree with Boris on this one. The PM and the Remainer cabinet ministers are doing their best to screw Brexit up and have a very soft Brexit while Boris and friends are basically saying we MUST leave even at the expense of a no deal.

No guesses where the EU will stand on this one.

They are pushing the UK towards a no deal and a hard Brexit while not giving an inch away even though they don't want the UK to remain in the EU.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I sincerely can't remember a country ever damaging itself to the extent the UK is doing over Brexit.

There is no consensus in the government.

There is no consensus in the parties

There is no consensus in the Parliament

There is no consensus in the country at large

There is no consensus in the countries that make up the UK

There is no consensus in the business community

There is no consensus in the Civil Society sector

There is no consensus.

Yet, the UK continues to attempt to enact the most significant public policy change in generations.

What a C*** *p.

The best thing that the UK could do is shelve the idea of Brexit for at least twenty years and hope that the EU takes it back; clearly there in no consensus and the UK is simply not ready to leave.

There is a metaphor that sometimes the best thing for a Mother bird to do is toss its young out of the nest as this forces them to learn to fly and survive. What is not mentioned as often is that sometimes the young bird simply drops and goes "Splat"! Respectfully to my British friends, it seems clear to this outsider that your current fate is the latter...

The best thing the UK can do is follow the will of the majority of the British people who voted to leave, anything else is anti-democractic...the Witch May is not up to the job, she should be removed from office immediately for incompetance and let Boris Johnson sort the mess out she had created (least preferable option)  or make Nigel Farange either PM or  at least chief negotiator...they need some on charge with a spine..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

God forbid if that happens it's definately  the end of the world for the UK

Your first part of your comment I agree with, but then.... 

Though I'm not a follower of Labour it might be a good idea to have an idea. 

It's just embarracing how May tries everything not to lose face (indeed she lost already) and stay in power. Nobody can solve the border problems or relations to EU at present. The best is to delay Brexit 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

They are pushing the UK towards a no deal

The EU is pushing the UK towards Plan B but there is no Plan B.

May has said the EU must accept May's Chequers plan. Period.

So in essence it is May who is pushing the UK towards a "no deal."

• Like 1

Have to agree that at this point, there is no other option than 'no deal'.

But somehow I suspect that the uk and eu will come to a reasonable deal (for both sides) at the last minute...

We all wait (with bated breath) for the politicians to sort out the best deal for themselves....

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

The best thing the UK can do is follow the will of the majority of the British people who voted to leave, anything else is anti-democractic...the Witch May is not up to the job, she should be removed from office immediately for incompetance and let Boris Johnson sort the mess out she had created (least preferable option)  or make Nigel Farange either PM or  at least chief negotiator...they need some on charge with a spine..

You talk of democracy yet suggest very undemocratic solutions to the problem; unless seriously incapacitated or voluntary resigning, or removed by the queen (never going to happen) a sitting PM can only be removed with a vote of no confidence from parliament; Boris Johnson is no longer a member of the cabinet so again would have to be voted in as leader of the Tories first and then as PM he would have to call a general election soon after as he hasn't been voted by the people. And finally Nigel Farage (please note the correct spelling of his surname) isn't a Tory and isn't even an MP. 

Guess you're stuck with May.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scottjouro said:

But People deserve Final Say as part of democracy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I sincerely can't remember a country ever damaging itself to the extent the UK is doing over Brexit.

There is no consensus in the government.

There is no consensus in the parties

There is no consensus in the Parliament

There is no consensus in the country at large

There is no consensus in the countries that make up the UK

There is no consensus in the business community

There is no consensus in the Civil Society sector

There is no consensus.

Yet, the UK continues to attempt to enact the most significant public policy change in generations.

What a C*** *p.

The best thing that the UK could do is shelve the idea of Brexit for at least twenty years and hope that the EU takes it back; clearly there in no consensus and the UK is simply not ready to leave.

There is a metaphor that sometimes the best thing for a Mother bird to do is toss its young out of the nest as this forces them to learn to fly and survive. What is not mentioned as often is that sometimes the young bird simply drops and goes "Splat"! Respectfully to my British friends, it seems clear to this outsider that your current fate is the latter...

a good and sensible post!

3 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

I think even staunch Leave fans would agree this has been a farce from the very beginning and doesn't look to be abating any time soon. The mishandling of this has been nothing short of criminal and I really can't imagine that anyone who voted Leave at the time ever foresaw just how catastrophic things would be at this stage.

At no point in the beginning (and for quite some time after) was a no-deal scenario ever mentioned and yet here we are, with no-deal being an increasingly likely conclusion to what has been misstep after misstep.  

The goalposts have moved so much now (almost in a different field) there needs to be a second referendum once the final 'deal' is known. The British public didn't vote for this mess and they need another chance to vote on the actual consequences of what Brexit will finally be.

That's the only way we will ever get closure with this and can then start to move on with either a definitive Leave or a definitive Remain. 

I agree with the principle of that.  Nobody voted for this scenario.  But this has opened a very unsavoury can of worms with so much anger that was obviously lurking under the surface.  This amount of vitriol is way in excess of what it should be if we are just bickering about the rights or wrongs of Brexit.  I fear a second referendum would split the country even further.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

I really can't imagine that anyone who voted Leave at the time ever foresaw just how catastrophic things would be at this stage.

I was hoping for a war for independence from Europe (aka The Fourth Reich).

So at the moment, I'm disappointed we haven't reached the fighting stage (yet).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Trouble with Britain, it still thinks it's "Great". I think its just waking up to the idea leaving the EU will be the biggest mistake in living history, leaving the UK in tatters.

Having said, the country must uphold the vote, democracy must be respected, even though it will cost the country dearly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Have to agree that at this point, there is no other option than 'no deal'.

But somehow I suspect that the uk and eu will come to a reasonable deal (for both sides) at the last minute...

We all wait (with bated breath) for the politicians to sort out the best deal for themselves....

'But somehow I suspect that the uk and eu will come to a reasonable deal (for both sides) at the last minute...'

Like what?  Soft Brexit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

This. And only this. People were asked to give their opinion, purely advisory, and only about leaving the EU, not about future relationships. It’s quite amazing how Brexiteers twist this into a binding decision about (not only leaving but even) future relationship.  

1. The UK should just remain in the EU. “Thanks for giving your opinion. We have considered this in the decision-making, along with many other facts. In the end, considering all information carefully, we came to the conclusion that it’s best to stay. Thank you for your valuable input.”

2. The U.K. should just stay in the single market. “Thanks for giving your opinion. We have considered this in the decision-making, along with many other facts. In the end, considering all information carefully, we came to the conclusion that we will follow your advice of leaving the EU, while we are also glad to announce an agreement with the EU that will let us stay in and benefit from the single market.”

Problem solved. 

Instead, the U.K. is building castles in the sky since two years. After May, apparently now it’s Boris’ turn to propose how to walk on water. Good luck with this but it’s just wastin everyone’s time. 

Agree with your last paragraph.