Britons would narrowly back remaining in the EU: poll of polls

webfact

Britons would narrowly back remaining in the EU: poll of polls

2018-09-27T232020Z_1_LYNXNPEE8Q1Y1_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

FILE PHOTO - Tourist binoculars offer users the chance to pay in Pounds or Euros in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar, historically claimed by Spain, April 20, 2017. REUTERS/Phil Noble

LONDON (Reuters) - Britons would vote 52 to 48 percent in favour of remaining in the European Union were there to be another Brexit referendum, showing only a small change in public opinion since the 2016 vote, according to a poll of polls.

But researchers cautioned that a narrow victory for those hoping to reverse the decision taken two years ago would be heavily contingent on getting those who did not vote last time to turn out.

The figures are calculated by taking the average of the six most recent surveys by major pollsters between Aug. 21 and Sept. 10.

"True, Remain enjoys a lead in the polls. But that lead remains a narrow one, and there is little sign of it growing," said Senior Research Fellow at The National Centre for Social Research (NatCen) John Curtice.

"It rests quite heavily on the preferences of those who did not vote two years ago, and who by two to one now say they would back Remain. Getting them to turn out to vote in any second ballot might yet prove a considerable challenge."

London and Brussels are racing to agree a Brexit deal but Prime Minister Theresa May's proposals have been criticised by both the European Union and Eurosceptics within her party. She has ruled out having a second referendum.

But the main opposition Labour Party is open to a second public vote with the option of staying in the bloc, its Brexit spokesman Keir Starmer said earlier this week.

Campaigners on both sides of the argument have been stepping up their efforts in recent weeks as some Brexiteers argue for a cleaner break from the EU and Remainers say ending membership as currently planned would do economic damage to Britain.

(Reporting by Costas Pitas; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-28
  • Haha 1

Too late now, you've made your bed, lie in it. I just wish they'd get on with it. How are you supposed to make personal plans when nobody knows where we're gonna be in a year's time. Anyway, comes over to me as a juxtaposition of egos, I think the true interests of the common man are coming in a poor second.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nausea said:

Too late now, you've made your bed, lie in it. I just wish they'd get on with it. How are you supposed to make personal plans when nobody knows where we're gonna be in a year's time. Anyway, comes over to me as a juxtaposition of egos, I think the true interests of the common man are coming in a poor second.

And the frequency of Polls getting their percentages wrong is....................?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

There was a Populus opinion poll on June 21/22 2016 a day or 2 before the real one, the last big opinion poll.

The result was: Leave 48%; Remain 52%

Well, based on this there has been no real shift.  Maybe a credible poll which shows even 55% would be worthy of consideration.  The fact is leave won.  The most salient issue is how to carry through the mandate in a manner that is reasonable; no deal clearly isn't imo.

I'm not opposed to polls but why don't they ask questions on the issues we all need to know about:

1. Do you support a no deal Brexit?

2. Would you prefer a no deal Brexit, or the Norway model?

3. Would you prefer a deferment subject to a properly negotiated exit?

I'm sure there are other questions too.  But am I the only one who really doesn't know where the public really stands on these fundamental points?

Edited by mommysboy

I saw this on the Bloomberg channel yesterday.  The first step towards making the idea of a Brexit reversal an accepted option.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear Merkel say something similar shortly.  It's quite clear that The UK government doesn't want to leave the EU.  The major EU governments don't want the UK to leave.  Both are hoping for a reversal, and will "punish" the British people by making things tougher than they need to be if one doesn't come.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-26/macron-says-he-d-welcome-u-k-back-to-eu-if-voters-change-mind

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Quite so. But the shift is hardly resounding.  And then what? Leavers would be perfectly entitled to demand a third poll!  Best of five anyone?

A second referendum asking the same questions as in the first is pointless and isn't appropriate.  If the people get an opportunity for a final vote it should be on the deal or no deal that the government have agreed on.  And that vote should be, like the referendum, non binding.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

It’s not too late. 

Britain is still in the eu. 

As a person who voted Remain I would not if there were another rerun referendum unless Messers: Junkers, Barnier, etc were to jump under a EU bus, and there were a number of concessions the things Cameron was (or should have been) asking for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1