Thanathorn pitches self as PM candidate in Future Forward mission

webfact

43 minutes ago, LaoPo said:

...Not many votes..?

It's truly amazing that Thanathorn received already 10% of the votes in a survey* last month among "9,000 people surveyed across Thailand"...realizing it's only a short while ago the party has been registered this year. 

If he/party can win a majority is of course unlikely but not impossible.

Look what happened in France where the newcomer Macron won the elections but I know, Thailand is not France but basically there's a common deep-rooted problem in both France and Thailand, the silent majority, unhappy with the present situation.

Surprises in politics are common around the world: look what happened in Taiwan...and 2 years ago with Trump.

exciting times ahead for Thailand.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-26/party-ousted-by-thai-junta-is-voter-s-first-choice-ahead-of-poll

You are right I was wrong.. but what i meant was enough votes to make a difference. 10% is indeed huge for a new party its half of what the democrats got in the survey. 

But 10% is not enough to make a change. I really hope this guy gets more votes as i prefer him above all others. I might be totally wrong (again) but i like to hope for a future with less corruption (less corruption means less money to be made when in power means less violence to get in power)

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Love the policy of reducing military spending and downsizing the military and spending the money on things that better serve society as a whole. Worth voting for that alone.

These are fightin' words among the traditionalists. 

To cleanse a militarism consciousness will be quite the feat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

You are right I was wrong.. but what i meant was enough votes to make a difference. 10% is indeed huge for a new party its half of what the democrats got in the survey. 

But 10% is not enough to make a change. I really hope this guy gets more votes as i prefer him above all others. I might be totally wrong (again) but i like to hope for a future with less corruption (less corruption means less money to be made when in power means less violence to get in power)

In the article from Bloomberg* is also said:

""Future Forward’s goal is to win 25 seats, said Thanathorn, who placed third in a poll for preferred prime minister released Sunday by the National Institute of Development Administration. Senior Pheu Thai official Sudarat Keyuraphan topped the survey, with Prayuth second.""

That is pretty amazing....to be selected as 3rd choice for PM for a party, just born.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-26/party-ousted-by-thai-junta-is-voter-s-first-choice-ahead-of-poll

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Love the policy of reducing military spending and downsizing the military and spending the money on things that better serve society as a whole. Worth voting for that alone.

You must be Thai, or brainwashed by some, to fall in such an obvious trap! Would he ...? Could he ...? When and if he, ever, got the chance? I promise you, when I become a Euro lottery billionaire to give you one million! Generous of me, wouldn't you say? Vote for me! LOL!

Edited by bangrak
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, LaoPo said:

In the article from Bloomberg* is also said:

""Future Forward’s goal is to win 25 seats, said Thanathorn, who placed third in a poll for preferred prime minister released Sunday by the National Institute of Development Administration. Senior Pheu Thai official Sudarat Keyuraphan topped the survey, with Prayuth second.""

That is pretty amazing....to be selected as 3rd choice for PM for a party, just born.

Amazing, indeed, for a wet-behind-the-ears, totally unknown (admittedly, not his family, 'linked' to a 'traditional' party...), no experience at all, showed no thing yet, ...and very telling at the same time about how lost, unprepared, clueless the Thai population may be, ...also how desperate the absence of credible, experienced, ...not too corrupt, politicians, is. NOBODY worth voting for, that's the whole drama!

4 hours ago, LaoPo said:

...Not many votes..?

It's truly amazing that Thanathorn received already 10% of the votes in a survey* last month among "9,000 people surveyed across Thailand"...realizing it's only a short while ago the party has been registered this year. 

If he/party can win a majority is of course unlikely but not impossible.

Look what happened in France where the newcomer Macron won the elections but I know, Thailand is not France but basically there's a common deep-rooted problem in both France and Thailand, the silent majority, unhappy with the present situation.

Surprises in politics are common around the world: look what happened in Taiwan...and 2 years ago with Trump.

exciting times ahead for Thailand.

Not really, you forgetting that in Thailand true democracy will not return, appointed senate, 20 year roadmap and other stuff ensures whoever becomes PM cannot even tie the shoe laces without militairy approval. Hardly exciting. 

Som nam na for the people screaming for a coup, too bad for the majority that didn't wanted a coup. Life's a bitch,,,

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bangrak said:

Amazing, indeed, for a wet-behind-the-ears, totally unknown (admittedly, not his family, 'linked' to a 'traditional' party...), no experience at all, showed no thing yet, ...and very telling at the same time about how lost, unprepared, clueless the Thai population may be, ...also how desperate the absence of credible, experienced, ...not too corrupt, politicians, is. NOBODY worth voting for, that's the whole drama!

History and politics,..ALSO in Thailand have to change somewhere, sometime and with someone powerful and intelligent who can start making that difference in politics and the military ruled country and the so called fake "democracy" and hopefully, people like Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit* are able to contribute to that change.

Coming to Thailand for decades I think he seems to be a man that could bring that change; let's hope so and not be negative about newcomers. But we all know: It takes time...

He's quite an impressive man although he admits himself that the junta could put him in prison because he could be a threat to the present rulers...well, let's see if they would do so.

I think the world (Asia, U.S., EU and Oceania) would not be pleased.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanathorn_Juangroongruangkit

Edited by LaoPo

10 hours ago, bangrak said:

You must be Thai, or brainwashed by some, to fall in such an obvious trap! Would he ...? Could he ...? When and if he, ever, got the chance? I promise you, when I become a Euro lottery billionaire to give you one million! Generous of me, wouldn't you say? Vote for me! LOL!

I doubt very much that he could succeed immediately. But the policy is sound. The little generals would concoct some reason to take over or lock this fellow up. But if he is careful he could slowly introduce things which would erode the power of the military. It would take a long time but with public support could bring the military down to size. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LaoPo said:

History and politics,..ALSO in Thailand have to change somewhere, sometime and with someone powerful and intelligent who can start making that difference in politics and the military ruled country and the so called fake "democracy" and hopefully, people like Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit* are able to contribute to that change.

Coming to Thailand for decades I think he seems to be a man that could bring that change; let's hope so and not be negative about newcomers. But we all know: It takes time...

He's quite an impressive man although he admits himself that the junta could put him in prison because he could be a threat to the present rulers...well, let's see if they would do so.

I think the world (Asia, U.S., EU and Oceania) would not be pleased.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanathorn_Juangroongruangkit

Well, I respect your opinion, you must know him, very, well, no doubt, don't you, to give this next 'golden boy' that much credit, and trust that his 'familial background' doesn't make 'old wine in new vessels' of him, and of his(!) party... Allow me though not to be, at all, sure of that, nor about no-one in the family having had any contact with Darth Vador to put his hand (and wallet?) above the new party, as a hidden trump card... Sorry, IMO, he's too 'blitz' and smooth, came up like a mushroom after the rain, ... For me, it is still valid: 'when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it must be a duck'... Mind you, ducks don't make me sick, ducks do what ducks do, but the new 'icon' of the flock which, at last, saw some light and grew over their love for the Shins, seems like falling for just another, next, new, fake, 'idol'. I hope very much the near future will show me to be very wrong, really am, but the risks to me look huge compared to a very hypothetic positive outcome, ...for the Thai population, I mean. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GarryP said:

I doubt very much that he could succeed immediately. But the policy is sound. The little generals would concoct some reason to take over or lock this fellow up. But if he is careful he could slowly introduce things which would erode the power of the military. It would take a long time but with public support could bring the military down to size. 

'GarryP': 'But the policy is sound', aah, could you then please enlighten ignorant me about the party's political program, and which main goals out of it it would absolutely stand on having in e Government deal to accept to become a partner in such a Government? Please do, you can, as it can't be your temperature rises for just another bunch of self-serving cleptocrats, you knowbetter, share with us, please!

13 minutes ago, bangrak said:

'GarryP': 'But the policy is sound', aah, could you then please enlighten ignorant me about the party's political program, and which main goals out of it it would absolutely stand on having in e Government deal to accept to become a partner in such a Government? Please do, you can, as it can't be your temperature rises for just another bunch of self-serving cleptocrats, you knowbetter, share with us, please!

There are none so pathetic as those who have given up all hope.

1 hour ago, SmartyMarty said:

Breath of fresh air in an arena that smells of (old) farts.

Welcome on TV 'SmartyMarty'! Don't make me say he and his(?) party aren't a: 'Breath of fresh air', frankly and honestly, I don't know. But, as you seem so convinced, I have no doubt you have plenty of elements to explain to us why you, really, truly think so...

There was a time, not that long ago, when there was one, maybe it were two, serious(!), newspaper(s) in this country which would have put a lot of time and energy to 'dig' into that 'newbee''s background, and all what circulates around that, apparently miraculously born by itself, FFP. Not anymore, it seems, 'investigative journalism' has died a violent death in the early 2,000s. Myriads of, bad, reasons for that I'm afraid in the 'media landscape' of Thailand, within the minefield(!) of lawsuits, claims, menaces, and worse, from Thaksin's side, military 'coupists'', and, not to forget, the LM abuses... 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GarryP said:

There are none so pathetic as those who have given up all hope.

'GarryP', I haven't 'given up all hope', it's just I have grown very cautious about very many things in this country, one being that 'inert masses' like Thais mostly are (most having no other choice than not to think further ahead than the next day), are able to, in a 'snap' inflame (sometimes too literally...), a bit as automatically from off to on mode as Pakistanis fed with a rumour of blasphemy. Quite frightening IMO, especially when you're able to ask, once the feaver has fallen, what the reason for their immediate, short-lived, excitement resided in, ...and can't get any answer making a bit of sense, ...even to themselves. 

Edited by bangrak
  • Like 1