Unloading truck the Thai way

Elad

On my last trip to Pattaya I was sat on the hotel balcony on soi 4 watching the world go by whilst having a coffee and noticed two Thais unloading goods at the family mart. At first i thought to myself that's a clever way to do it, so i took my phone and took a short clip (see below) because I've never seen it done that way in the UK. Then i thought hang on a minute that's not so clever, he must be carrying at least 50 kg of water, walking with a bent back and how does he place them at the other end?

In western countries we just use forklifts or at worst a sack barrow. Do sack barrows exist in Thailand or what????? he'd probably get more water on a barrow  with little lifting involved.

That's not heavy at all and the way he's carrying it is quite safe. It's 12x0.6kg = 7.2kg x 3 = 21.6kg of water plus plastic bottle weight. That's exactly the back position one would use for a squat or deadlift, but the weight is very light. You could do that all day long without any risk of injury. Even a girl could easily handle that.

• Like 1

on my first trip there back in 2004 was the first time I had ever seen people carry cases like that.  All my years of restaurant work, ownership, deliveries, etc.  I had never seen that in the USA and it would never have occurred to me to try that way.  It just seems like one doesn't have a good grip on the load, but maybe one doesn't need a strong grip.  Maybe just using the fingers as "hooks" and the angle of the back keeps things in place?   I meant to experiment when I got back home, but my youth genes are eluding me. 

Edited by gk10002000
add

1 hour ago, Elad said:

My first thoughts were correct then ????. Still think a sack barrow would easier though. 

Have you seen all the dogs at a 711 entrance? Good luck with the wheelbarrow.

And also shops always have a ramp or steps since they are on raised land. Plus the sidewalks might have holes or missing tiles.

Forklifts are expensive, can get stolen or broken, can catch fire......thai don't like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tropo said:

That's not heavy at all and the way he's carrying it is quite safe. It's 12x0.6kg = 7.2kg x 3 = 21.6kg of water plus plastic bottle weight. That's exactly the back position one would use for a squat or deadlift, but the weight is very light. You could do that all day long without any risk of injury. Even a girl could easily handle that.

Not easy to tell from the video but i think he's carrying 4 crates of 12 which is 28.8 kg plus plastic (assuming each one weighs 0.6 kg). Not sure on the size of each bottle, if they're 1 ltr then that's 1 kg/bottle making it 48 kg plus plastic. 

4 hours ago, tropo said:

It's a lot safer than carrying it on the front, as that puts a lot more stress on the spine. As long as you have the shoulder, arm and hand flexibility, it's a great way to carry stuff. It also reduces shoulder stress. 

Well, speaking of shoulder stress, saw this a coupla years ago in Lhasa, Tibet. I made a smart remark about joining her for a cupa coffee. I don't think she thought it was very funny. Or maybe she didn't speak English ( which, after thinking about what I said, I hoped she didn't )

download (4).jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Elad said:

how does he place them at the other end?

At the other end is another worker sorting the deliveries who will steady the load while he squats down and (sometimes) gently lets the goods slide down his back for the last 15 cm or so.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tropo said:

Check the video. 

He starts with large bottles at the bottom for support and puts smaller on top..

Still not excessive. 

I had mega issues delivering Workplace Training here.

OH&S is just something they print on the banners at the factories and building sites.

There's no enforcement or mandated regulations.

This is the document they reference. 

(Occupational Safety and Health Series No. 59, Geneva, 1988) has been taken into consideration when adopting this Ministerial Regulation. The Committee notes that section 1(1) regulates the maximum weight to be lifted, carried on head or shoulders, pulled or pushed, of 50 kg for male workers, which is in accordance with the Convention.

It notes that the maximum weight is 25 kg for young male employees between the age of 15 and 18 years old. However, noting the Government’s statement in its report that the maximum weight for male workers is 55 kg, while the Ministerial Regulation of 2004 states 50 kg, the Committee requests the Government to provide clarification on the maximum weight for male workers with its next report.

3. Article 7. Female and young workers. 

The Committee notes that under section 1(1) of the Ministerial Regulation of B.E. 2547 (2004), the maximum weight to be lifted, carried on head or shoulders, pulled or pushed is 20 kg for young female employees between the ages of 15 and 18 years old and 25 kg for female workers. It feels obliged to reiterate its previous reference to the ILO publication 

Maximum weights in load lifting and carrying which provides for 15 kg as the limit, 

25kg. 55kg.  Same same.

9 hours ago, Elad said:

My first thoughts were correct then ????. Still think a sack barrow would easier though. 

Sack barrows are available in Thailand but, of course, they cost money, would take up space in the van  and are only really effective if there are no kerbs to negotiate and if the pavements are reasonably level, smooth and clear of obstructions.  I have one and I certainly find it very useful for moving heavy loads around the garden.

By the way, if you can find any place in Thailand which fulfils all the conditions I refer to for easy access, please let me know as I would like to take a photograph or two so I can send them to my local Amphur office as an example of how things should be done.   :sleep:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elad said:

Not easy to tell from the video but i think he's carrying 4 crates of 12 which is 28.8 kg plus plastic (assuming each one weighs 0.6 kg). Not sure on the size of each bottle, if they're 1 ltr then that's 1 kg/bottle making it 48 kg plus plastic. 

You're right... after viewing the video again I see it's 4 packs of 12, making it 28.8 kg plus plastic. It's also possible each bottle weighs 0.5kg as some brands are 500ml bottles. The next step up is 6x1.5l bottles, but they are higher packs and harder to stack.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sydneyjed said:

Watched up on the corner of Soi 18 Sukumvit a guy unloading boxes of beer(three at a time)carrying them on his back with his arms holding them..Thought it looked awkward and was right he dropped one!

On Samui they used to carry 4 cases of beer that way out of a bike cart, if only a short distance. Never dropped one and glad I did not have to do it.

Having delivered Kinetic lifting courses or Manual Handling in UK Rail industry for over 20 years I do not have a problem with the guys posture/stance/handling its quite safe and within his range.

However the lady on back of truck is displaying poor handling technique (Top heavy lifting) and even though her weight is a lot lighter she is exposing herself to possible back problems down the line this results usually in issues between the 3rd & 5th vertebrae (or your Lumbar region lower back where the stress is most)

Dont know about Geneva, we used to use HASWA and the EEC six pack, basically owing to sexual discrimination the law (well it wasn't actual law but a recommendation) that You must Not Lift OR Carry any load or substance that may cause you injury whilst at work! (in other words the onus is on you to ensure it is within you handling capabilities... Lol I got paid a fair wack for doing that and had some funny times with mixed classes

Edited by Lokie
I cant spell 555

4 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

On Samui they used to carry 4 cases of beer that way out of a bike cart, if only a short distance. Never dropped one and glad I did not have to do it.

Just found another clip i took about 10 minutes before the first clip, he's a real trooper this guy, 3 cases of beer and a case of large coke. it's not the weight that concerns me its the way he carries them - never seen it here in the UK.

As someone said earlier its takes three people to do it this way, one in the truck, one transporting and the other helping to place them down. Don't think a UK company would pay 3 mans when they can pay 1 man with a sack barrow. ????

Edited by Elad

14 hours ago, Elad said:

and the other helping to place them down

That employee is normally working for the receiving company not the delivery company,

but its not unusual to see a driver ( wife, kid and dog in passenger seats)  and 2 or more deliverers in the back of the truck, so lots of employees employed.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 6:04 AM, dallen52 said:

Check the video. 

He starts with large bottles at the bottom for support and puts smaller on top..

Still not excessive. 

I had mega issues delivering Workplace Training here.

OH&S is just something they print on the banners at the factories and building sites.

There's no enforcement or mandated regulations.

This is the document they reference. 

(Occupational Safety and Health Series No. 59, Geneva, 1988) has been taken into consideration when adopting this Ministerial Regulation. The Committee notes that section 1(1) regulates the maximum weight to be lifted, carried on head or shoulders, pulled or pushed, of 50 kg for male workers, which is in accordance with the Convention.

It notes that the maximum weight is 25 kg for young male employees between the age of 15 and 18 years old. However, noting the Government’s statement in its report that the maximum weight for male workers is 55 kg, while the Ministerial Regulation of 2004 states 50 kg, the Committee requests the Government to provide clarification on the maximum weight for male workers with its next report.

3. Article 7. Female and young workers. 

The Committee notes that under section 1(1) of the Ministerial Regulation of B.E. 2547 (2004), the maximum weight to be lifted, carried on head or shoulders, pulled or pushed is 20 kg for young female employees between the ages of 15 and 18 years old and 25 kg for female workers. It feels obliged to reiterate its previous reference to the ILO publication 

Maximum weights in load lifting and carrying which provides for 15 kg as the limit, 

25kg. 55kg.  Same same.

Why should you train u are nt in the so called  Australia or uk that is way over the top and  so much it is dangerous  here in  This land they do as they want and same as every country get hurt so what the big deal

Farangs die here every day cos they rent moterbikes and never have license think it funny to so health and safety world wide is so so but guess u must be an ace man to inforce it here in Thailand Good luck 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, mikecha said:

Why should you train u are nt in the so called  Australia or uk that is way over the top and  so much it is dangerous  here in  This land they do as they want and same as every country get hurt so what the big deal

Farangs die here every day cos they rent moterbikes and never have license think it funny to so health and safety world wide is so so but guess u must be an ace man to inforce it here in Thailand Good luck 

Pretty sad outlook on life. 

I would have thought it was everyone's duty to try to make workplaces safer, and roads too.

But like you have said,  TIT.

If countries subscribe to the idea of making this workplace health and safety law work, it at least goes part way towards ensuring loved ones get home from work every night.

Without injuries. 

And no compensation. 

This is Thailand yes you are right.

It might take a little time.