British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

Indeed, why not?

My UK bank provides me with annual summaries as a matter of course, as well as detailed statements.

Immigration could just apply the appropriate exchange rate on the day to convert to Baht.  Not acceptable, of course.

My pensions are sent to my Thai bank account every month and can be easily checked by the amount paid in per pension per month. All I need to do is add a small spreadsheet giving the amount paid (with the exchange rate of the day of transfer) in and it will correspond to the statement. I have had one set up for years and I also download my bank statements with the explanation of income and expenditure. 

1 hour ago, superal said:

Ok , Its easy to say use Transferwise to move the 4/800k to your Thai bank account but how do you send it back after the 3 months . It is starting to feel a little uncomfortable with the moving of goal posts in an unstable country and so the least amount of financial commitment here the better . Who knows what the next surprise may be .

That is fine if you have 800,000 baht lying around doing nothing. Not everybody has that much to tie up for years at a time.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 1:59 PM, mok199 said:

when I went to immigration in Pattaya(with my letter of income) to renew my visa, my wife was approached by an immigration officer ''next year when your husband needs his retirement visa ,come and see me '' and he quoted her a price.. hmmmm

Bite his hand off

Do you have a link to this directive, please? I would be delighted to pass it on to the lady at the British Embassy and point out just how wrong her reasoning is!
Currently embassy letters are required for income based applications. The BE is promoting an onerous regime where monthly imports reflecting the full income claim supercedes needing the letter. The video interview suggests very weakly that this has been confirmed by Bangkok immigration. Wanna buy a bridge?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

They want your money £20k in a thai bank then they’ve got you by the balls ! My answer would be “go to ****”

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well that is the simpler choice. Show the money. No worries about embassy letters or being challenged to back up any income claims. 

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

It doesn't have to be tied up, it can be used for living expenses up until 3 months prior to extension and then just topped back up.

But then it has to be replaced, preferably 3 1/2 months before the next application.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

But then it has to be replaced, preferably 3 1/2 months before the next application.

Yes it does and if there is a problem with the mechanics of your transferring in plan (it happens) and you miss the begin seasoning deadline, you need to start all over. Also don't you dare let your account fall to 799,999 baht during the seasoning period! 

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, superal said:

Ok , Its easy to say use Transferwise to move the 4/800k to your Thai bank account but how do you send it back after the 3 months . It is starting to feel a little uncomfortable with the moving of goal posts in an unstable country and so the least amount of financial commitment here the better . Who knows what the next surprise may be .

sent money back to UK using paypal

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes it does and if there is a problem with the mechanics of your transferring in plan (it happens) and you miss the begin seasoning deadline, you need to start all over. Also don't you dare let your account fall to 799,999 baht during the seasoning period! 

Not everybody is able to do that, hence the reasoning behind the embassy letter in the first place. 

At this point in time nobody has any idea what the Thai Immigration Dept will do re the Embassy cancelling their letter.

Until one side or the other comes up with a solution we are in limbo.

Those who have 800,000 baht should be fairly safe, those who relied on the embassy letter and can produce evidence of income (bank statements etc) may have a problem as the Thai Immigration Offices do not seem to have a standard that they stick to and those who use an agent may have a a problem or not. That will depend on how deep the new Immigration chief wants to dig.

He may be moved on if he tries to change too much, too quickly as there is a large amount of money involved.

All this is IMHO and YMMV.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, superal said:

I found this on one of these related threads a few days ago... I haven't tried it so cannot comment further.

https://www.dee.money/en/

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

It doesn't have to be tied up, it can be used for living expenses up until 3 months prior to extension and then just topped back up.

That's right, and really if you have not got a few hundred thousand in the bank here, you should probably be heading home anyway for your own good. For one thing you will be forced to go down another deceptive route to stay, and for another any medical emergency would see you in a very bad situation.

That's right, and really if you have not got a few hundred thousand in the bank here, you should probably be heading home anyway for your own good. For one thing you will be forced to go down another deceptive route to stay, and for another any medical emergency would see you in a very bad situation.
I bet you don't have prime medical insurance.
Most expats take out the bare minimum if anything at all and then come on here and crow about their policy and would be lucky if it would cover more than a few hundred thousand baht

26 minutes ago, Expattaff1308 said:

Write to the Ambassador explaining the advice we are being given by the BE contradicts what we are being told by our Immigration Offices. and by doing so are putting us in jeopardy of being refused an extension of stay...

Do you really think that writing to him will make matters different? Do you not think that the BE have thought this through, knowing of the backlash it would cause? Nah, bitching to the ambassador ain't gonna make any difference. The decision has been made.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Whatever you spend of the 800K has to be replaced, but you are still using your money, it's not dead as some people are calling it.

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

This has been posted many times already, but here it is :

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22 (click on Eng on the top of the page for English version)

OK, I was hoping that it might have included an explicit reference to Embassy income verification being required in the case of the 65k monthly income method, but, unfortunately, it does not ????

Edited by OJAS

1 hour ago, blackhorse said:

I bet you don't have prime medical insurance.
Most expats take out the bare minimum if anything at all and then come on here and crow about their policy and would be lucky if it would cover more than a few hundred thousand baht

A simple solution - NOP Insurance - aka "Not Our Problem" aka "Stabilize and Evacuate".  Must be purchased on-entry by all, and renewed with any extension, so cheap for everybody.  And it doesn't cover much.  Govt-regulated but private-underwriting (funded by interest-bearing bonds) and solid actuarial calculations that make the bonds a good, stable, moderate-interest investment.

If something "serious medical" happens, you go to a state-hospital (not private) and are stabilized.  If you can be sent home in the seat of a plane fairly quickly, they get you to that point, and off you go.  If you will be prone (on a gurney) for an extended-time, you are sent home that way (more expensive flight, but cheaper than months of treatment). Which way you go is at the option of the insurer, aiming only to minimize costs. 

With that in place,no more worry that Thais will have to cover the medical-costs of foreigners - ever.  Done.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Whatever you spend of the 800K has to be replaced, but you are still using your money, it's not dead as some people are calling it.

No, not dead, but dead-ish. 

If you ever leave Thailand you can repatriate it. (Theoretically.)