British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

To be fair, those of us affected need a few drinks to deal with the lunacy that has been inflicted upon us by the brit. embassy.....

And I can understand why other nationalities are also concerned after the brit. embassy stated that the USA was about to follow suit (????) - plus of course, I've no doubt that zero embassies actually verify the information provided by their citizens.

As far as I can make out, the brit. embassy was one of the 'better ones' - insofar as it at least demanded supporting documentation.

A bit off-topic, but I'd LOVE to have been a fly on the wall at the next meeting/party where the brit. embassador met the US embassador ????!

Well as I have said before here, the German embassy does all they can to ascertain that your claims are correct, first applicants must show up in person, only original documents are accepted (exception is the bank statements pulled from the internet banking) I was sent back to Surin from Bangkok once because I had a copy instead of an original, after that everything runs smoothly, you are in their computer, they know you and who knows if they verify further when you have left the embassy. I go personally every year in case there is a problem because of my British passport but the official bangs in my name and up come the details, I pass over my documents and he can see if anything has changed, sometimes there is a question but hardly ever, it's all straight forward, after 15 minuets I'm out.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not quite so simple as many areas do not have a british consular service - so it would necessitate travelling to Bangkok.

Which reminds me of the panic felt by some of us when we first heard that the brit. embassy would no longer renew passports via the post.  The new 'system' was that we would have to go to an appointed agent in Bangkok to submit our application, and then wait a day to collect our new passport from the agent....

Fortunately, other agents have appeared to deal with this on our behalf - negating the need to stay in Bangkok for 2 days.  And yes, some of us would find this a problem before some poster argues that this isn't a problem....

So what's different it's been that for Australian and other expats for a long time.  That's what the Australian Embassy is for "to do business at"  Lord give us a break

Edited by David Walden

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Well as I have said before here, the German embassy does all they can to ascertain that your claims are correct, first applicants must show up in person, only original documents are accepted (exception is the bank statements pulled from the internet banking) I was sent back to Surin from Bangkok once because I had a copy instead of an original, after that everything runs smoothly, you are in their computer, they know you and who knows if they verify further when you have left the embassy. I go personally every year in case there is a problem because of my British passport but the official bangs in my name and up come the details, I pass over my documents and he can see if anything has changed, sometimes there is a question but hardly ever, it's all straight forward, after 15 minuets I'm out.

Which brings me back to the following points:-

1) Not all of us are able to travel back and forth, for various reasons.  Plus, I cannot see why turning up in person somehow validates the information provided?

2) I always sent original documents to the BE -  and see no reason why bank statements 'pulled' from the internet should be acceptable.

Having said this - I think we both agree that the brit. embassy's unilateral decision is a lot of bs and unjustifiable.  So we shouldn't be arguing about details.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Why don’t you quit flaming and patrionising. It’s getting really tedious. 

This is a serious subject for many and the last thing people need is constant wind ups from others with nothing better to do on a subject that doesn’t even affect them. 

Best to ignore the poster.

Edit - He'll eventually go away if he doesn't receive any response.

Edited by dick dasterdly

It's really very simple.

1. Thai immigration have told the BE (only?) that they expect them to verify the income from the people that are getting the embassy letter.

2. It is impossible for the BE to do that.

3. The BE are worried that they would be legally liable if one of their citizens in possession of one of their letters was proved to have lied about their income.

Therefore all your letters and petitions are going to fail because in effect, you are asking the BE to take legal liability, which of course they are not going to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

It's really very simple.

1. Thai immigration have told the BE (only?) that they expect them to verify the income from the people that are getting the embassy letter.

3. The BE are worried that they would be legally liable if one of their citizens in possession of one of their letters was proved to have lied about their income.

Therefore all your letters and petitions are going to fail because in effect, you are asking the BE to take legal liability, which of course they are not going to do.

Let me tell you what really happened.  The Thais and the Brits have known all of this for 10 years.  Someone in the BE who was tired of the paperwork and wanted a longer coffee break snuggled up to the boss and said, "I got an idea to save money and no one cares about those sexpats in Thailand anyway."

• Haha 1

Too many people thinking subjectively because it personally affects them. That won't help.

Think of it objectively from the BE's point of view. They really have no choice but to stop the issuance of these letters.

What if there is an announcement that the BE is going to go US style? You think that Thai immigration won't hear? What if Thai immigration suddenly realise after this announcement that NONE of the letters from any embassy actually guarantees their citizens statement. What happens then?

Far better to start sending your letters and petitions to Thai immigration because they'll do bugger all going to the BE. 

• Like 1

I don't see that hassling Immigration directly is likely to have much effect.  Far better to hassle the BE, who can then hassle Immigration on our behalf.  I'm sure that they have more clout than we do!

I am, of course, assuming that the BE actually gives a tinker's cuss about this!

• Like 2

Thai immigration have been lazy for years. It's them that want to know if the income declarations are true, yet they have got away with passing their responsibility on to the embassies. 

Obviously, they, like all the embassies can't verify the income declarations. If they ever realise this, it'll be cash only in a Thai bank account. Nice and easy for them, a simple solution and the path of least resistance. A very "Thai" solution. They can even claim "Quality in, Cheap Charlies Out" and gain Brownie points with the Thai population.

Edited by Joe Mcseismic
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Too many people thinking subjectively because it personally affects them. That won't help.

Think of it objectively from the BE's point of view. They really have no choice but to stop the issuance of these letters.

What if there is an announcement that the BE is going to go US style? You think that Thai immigration won't hear? What if Thai immigration suddenly realise after this announcement that NONE of the letters from any embassy actually guarantees their citizens statement. What happens then?

Far better to start sending your letters and petitions to Thai immigration because they'll do bugger all going to the BE. 

Poor BE.  The only embassy not able to figure out a way to continue the letters.  Time for some staff that can think as well as an Aussie. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

2) I always sent original documents to the BE -  and see no reason why bank statements 'pulled' from the internet should be acceptable.

You mean that you still have "paper documents" ?? :unsure:

I am not from UK, but in my country (nearly) everything is now on Internet and all my financial attestations (revenues, dividends, bank, taxes...) are PDF files only. Several years that I didn't receive a postal paper letter for such documents.

The authenticity of important PDF documents such as those of the Taxes Office can be verified online on their website using a code shown in the PDF.

3 hours ago, vistana said:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/230120/moderation-info  So how do we sign the petition?   looks like its being reviewed at the moment to see if meets the requirements. 

From the website

We’re checking this petition

5 people have already supported Richard Brown’s petition.

We need to check it meets the petition standards before we publish it.

Please try again in a few days.

32 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Poor BE.  The only embassy not able to figure out a way to continue the letters.  Time for some staff that can think as well as an Aussie. 

I think the BE has worked it out and it's a pity that the noisy minority Brits who are relying on the BE leter  do not want to go down the Stat dec road.  Like most other countries do.  It's a very good alternative.

13 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

stat dec is ok, it's an embassy document, it's all the IO wants.

No a Stat Dec is your document it belongs to you, where you have sworn on your property (the stat dec) the that facts contained there-in are true under oath and given it to someone else as proof that you are telling the truth witnessed in this case by a JP at an Embassy.  If it's full of BS and you are found out well you pay the price.  That is all the Thais are asking for.  I just cannot see how the BE can reverse their decision.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, David Walden said:

No a Stat Dec is your document it belongs to you, where you have sworn on your property (the stat dec) the that facts contained there-in are true under oath and given it to someone else as proof that you are telling the truth witnessed in this case by a JP at an Embassy.  If it's full of BS and you are found out well you pay the price.  That is all the Thais are asking for.  I just cannot see how the BE can reverse their decision.

Happy to sign a stat doc, my Pension Providers (as in my evidence to the BE) is factual. I cant see the DWP & Civil Service Pensions would falsify figures to suit my needs.

Edited by Expattaff1308
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's really very simple.

You take their explanation literally. That is cute.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2