British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

It's good to learn to use the correct terminology. //

Extensions based on retirement (those are extensions of a visa previously obtained but can be done continuously and annually for life) //

Maybe you should use "the correct terminology" too ? :wink:

These are not "Extensions of a Visa" but extensions of the "Authorisation of Stay" that your visa allowed you when you entered in Thailand. :sleep:

Edited by Pattaya46

38 minutes ago, doctormann said:

I sent something very similar to BBC News 'haveyoursay' a couple of days ago.  No response as yet, apart from an acknowledgement of receipt.

I also suggested that someone might tweet Jonathon Head.  I can't do this myself - no twitter account.

I have written to the BBC before all this, apart from a receipt nothing happened, they have to regard it as an interesting story for Mr Average on the street probably, if the future of a few thousand expats is as interesting as brexit or a royal wedding and who wore what remains to be seen but it's worth a try, better than doing nothing. The Johnathan Head route may offer more success or even the gutter press like the daily mirror, they can squeeze out the last tear, 'wives and children being deserted because of hard hearted embassy' etc.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

555, good one. Maybe the Embassy have decided as many of us are only here temporarily why bother with this letter stuff. 

Most Brits I know have digested this announcement now, and unless Immigration change the rules its time to put plan B into effect. 'Baldrick- I have a cunning plan'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Varrius said:

As an aside, this letter was not free.  We were charged 52 pounds each year for an A4 sheet of paper (worthless) with an embassy stamp on it.

If I received your letter at the BBC and read the "If the paper is worthless" bit I would think "why are you complaining about it's withdrawal" and throw your letter in the bin as worthless.

It was a worthless comment that ruined a potentially useful letter.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

If I received your letter at the BBC and read the "If the paper is worthless" bit I would think "why are you complaining about it's withdrawal" and throw your letter in the bin as worthless.

It was a worthless comment that ruined a potentially useful letter.

I think you have misquoted me there,  But its a fair point. I certainly took the pains to Provide genuine evidence of my bank statements, Pension payments, and transfers to a thai bank.  I am disappointed now that the embassy letter was just pushed out regardless of whatever "Proof" anyone submitted.

However I am not an investigative journalist, but feel that we need to make our feelings known especially until we know the Immigration's take on this.

I will be submitting my letter to Kanchanaburi Immigration on Tuesday.  Watch this space.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Baldrick, does this plan involve giving up the house you built in Thailand and deserting your Thai/British children to live in a grotty bedsit in the UK where you can be sued for not sending child support money to your wife which you can't afford to do because your pension has been reduced due to the fact that you no longer live with her?

sounds like you need to grow a backbone, no one is deserting anyone. If you find yourself in that situation you only have yourself to blame. A lot of plan B's will mean switching from retirement to marriage extensions, 400k Baht is a much better option. Some of us will do the 60 day extension based on married to a Thai and this will give more time to raise the deposit for next extension.

Spare us the b*llix about house, wife, kids, you think your the only one?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Why would anyone in Britain care about problems British pensioners have in Thailand?

I'm sure there have been problems for pensioners retired in other countries, but, I've never read, seen, or heard about them.

Worth a try I s'pose, but, it's a real long-shot.

If a piece in the SUN could be linked to loss of "Thai Income" in some way I am sure it would get some attention from the Thai authorities. Something like "Put your retirement plans for Thailand on hold, better check out the Philippines instead, where the time deposit is USD 10,000 and not the USD 24,468 required for Thailand. It does not need to be too factually correct, just interest grabbing!

http://www.philembassy.no/consular-services/visa/special-resident-retirees-visa-srrv

Edited by davehowden
Add information

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

O and O-A visas issued by Thai consulates are different and separate from retirement and marriage extensions of stay issued by Thai Immigration.

They share a common element of each giving you permission to stay in Thailand. And can be obtained based on marriage and retirement status. But otherwise, different applications, different issuing entities, and somewhat different rules for visas vs. extensions of stay.

But Jing was correct -- extensions of stay are ONLY issued by Thai Immigration inside Thailand.

I have put post up before about this subject...Again, I have a Retirement Visa issued from The Thai Embassy in Canberra Australia.  That is simply a fact as do thousands of other farangs living in Thailand   The Embassy call it a Retirement Visa that but it is really a "Non-Immigrant  O-A M" visa and it is only available from a Thai Embassy in a foreign country.  It is not available from Thai Consuls only from an Embassy.http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

Before making any further comment please read the details in the attached link.  In my previous post(s) I did go into detail that the extensions of stay are only provided by Thai Immigration when you arrive in the country during the 1st year.  My comments are no longer there in my recent post.  You can stay in Thailand one day short of 2 years by leaving and returning as often as you like during the 1st year only, no charge.  I have 4 one year extension in my Passport.  The extensions are for 1 year which means on a 1 year Thai Retirement Visa you can arrive in the country just a few days short of when the 2nd year begins and you will receive an extension for another 364 days.  You will have to exit and return at least 1 day before your 1st year visa period expires to get the 2nd year extension which is free.  That is what I have presently done.  My visa is good for almost 2 years.  there no further extension after the one year visa expires but the day before yes.  Remember your visa will have lapsed on the day it says it's current till.  It is only good till midnight on the day previous to expiry date...TIT...A trap for young and old players.

My comments appear to have gone astray on the subject of "extension of stay".  These extension of stay are the same for Retirement Visas issued in Thailand or a foreign Embassy. 

I repeat Retirement Visas are only obtained from Embassy not a Consul.  It tells you this on the application forms.  A consul might give you advice or remind you that your application should have 36 pages when you only have 25 and all pages must be signed by a JP.  He will not accept your application but might put it in his jiffy bag to the Embassy.  Once you application reaches the Embassy it will be given a tracking number.  You can ring anytime to see what progress you application is making.  The staff at the Thai Embassy in Canberra is alway very polite and helpful.

Edited by David Walden

4 hours ago, Varrius said:

I just sent this e-mail to the BBC in the hope of some sort of coverage.  I would prefer not to have too much sarcasm or abuse if people comment. Just trying to help.

"There are thousands of British ex Pats residing in Thailand on a permanent basis,  In order to acquire a Thai visa through Thai Immigration we have to obtain an official letter from our Embassy confirming our yearly income.
However the Embassy in their infinite wisdom have thrown all of us to the wolves by stating that they will No Longer Issue this document!
This has come out of the blue for us and is causing much confusion, not least because the embassy doesn`t appear to have informed or consulted the Thai Immigration authorities.
As yet this doesn't seem to have been picked up by your S E Asia correspondent Jonathon Head.  That is unless he is wary of being seen to be critical of either our embassy or the Thai Immigration.
As an aside, this letter was not free.  We were charged 52 pounds each year for an A4 sheet of paper (worthless) with an embassy stamp on it.
We would be grateful for any sort of report on this matter.
Yours Sincerely

To be honest this would have been a better letter if you had dropped the sarcasm you exhort others to avoid, "in their infinite wisdom" etc

The smears against Jonathan Head are also out of place. Have you considered contacting him directly?

Overall the letter not only a bit of a muddle but is too overheated and misses making the crucial point that the Immigration Authorities insist on such an Embassy letter being produced certifying income, and that contrary to Embassy advice there are no practical alternatives.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Varrius said:

I just sent this e-mail to the BBC in the hope of some sort of coverage.  I would prefer not to have too much sarcasm or abuse if people comment. Just trying to help.

"There are thousands of British ex Pats residing in Thailand on a permanent basis,  In order to acquire a Thai visa through Thai Immigration we have to obtain an official letter from our Embassy confirming our yearly income.
However the Embassy in their infinite wisdom have thrown all of us to the wolves by stating that they will No Longer Issue this document!
This has come out of the blue for us and is causing much confusion, not least because the embassy doesn`t appear to have informed or consulted the Thai Immigration authorities.
As yet this doesn't seem to have been picked up by your S E Asia correspondent Jonathon Head.  That is unless he is wary of being seen to be critical of either our embassy or the Thai Immigration.
We would be grateful for any sort of report on this matter.
Yours Sincerely

I would think it is very probable that Johnathon Head is already well aware is this situation and has already deemed it as 'not newsworthy'.

Should his overlords in the UK ask for his comments in light of this email, which I very much doubt, he will tell them exactly that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Rubbish. Schmubbish.

It's good to learn to use the correct terminology. That helps to have coherent conversations on visa related issues and it's also useful to know what's in your own passport. Again, extensions based on retirement (those are extensions of a visa previously obtained but can be done continuously and annually for life) are ONLY available IN Thailand. 

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

Select almost any country you like from this link and in all the same instruction will come up (with few exceptions).  Getting a retirement visa in you home country is a bit complicated but when done it's a nice feeling to arrive in Thailand knowing you can live there one day short of 2 years with a one day side trip to KL or other place just before your one years visa expires to get your 364 day extension of stay.  Yes you must be able to prove you have the Bt800,000 that is real money in a bank. or a pension fund or the Bt65,000p/m.

This information about getting your Retirement Visa overseas has appeared at least a 100 time by various contributors on this site.  But some people just cannot see the trees through the woods. (is that softer enough?)

Edited by David Walden

37 minutes ago, David Walden said:

repeat Retirement Visas are only obtained from Embassy not a Consul.  It tells you this on the application forms.  A consul might give you advice or remind you that your application should have 36 pages when you only have 25 and all pages must be signed by a JP.  He will not accept your application but might put it in his jiffy bag to the Embassy.  Once you application reaches the Embassy it will be given a tracking number.  You can ring anytime to see what progress you application is making.  The staff at the Thai Embassy in Canberra is alway very polite and helpful.

I have an OA visa issued by the Thai consulate in Sydney, It even says "issued at Sydney" printed on the visa, Maybe the internal processing goes to Canberra but I can walk into a Thai consulate and walk out with an OA visa. (I even met the guy at who did my OA at sydney consulate as he had a question about how much the notary public cost). Not sure what the relevance of "only from an embassy" and why you repeat that statement.

Here is the application forms from Sydney consulate and it doesnt mention anything about only at embassy.

https://thaiconsulatesydney.org/docs/forms/visitor-visa/visa-application-form.pdf

https://thaiconsulatesydney.org/docs/forms/retirement-visa/retirement-visa-application-o-a.pdf

Edited by Peterw42

18 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

not if you use paypal

When I ask for a statement from my bank managed pension fund it shows clearly how much I receive each month, how I have been paid during the last 12 months and how much the surrender value of the fund is at present.  I assume just about any legit pension fund all over the world provides this information when requested by the client.  When applying for my retirement Visa in Australia this statement forms part of my application.  If you can't provide simple accurate information to Thai Immigration when applying for a retirement visa about income well perhaps that is where you are "up the creek without a paddle"  elementary I think.

35 minutes ago, OJAS said:

So, since there appear to be no official rules to be changed, I suspect that the most that we can expect from Immigration is some directive to clarify that bank statements proving minimum monthly deposits into Thai bank accounts will be deemed acceptable in place of Embassy verifications -

The current directive regarding monthly payments does not require that they be deposited in a Thai Bak account, only that you are receiving this amount.    Unless the regulation is changed they cannot require that the payments be deposited in a Thai Bank account.