THAI ‘jumbo’ flight TG 679 skids off Suvarnabhumi runway while landing

webfact

THAI ‘jumbo’ flight TG 679 skids off Suvarnabhumi runway while landing

By The Nation

c21fd8155e144f055fca9c2a75af42fa-sld.jpe

Photo credit : Twitter One's Way#YNWA @khongsak

A Thai Airways International plane inbound from Guangzhou skidded off a runway while landing at Suvarnabhumi Airport in heavy rain on Monday night.

Flight Lieutenant Pratthana Pattanasirim, THAI’s director of security and flight standard division, said no one was injured when THAI Flight TG 679 skidded off the runway.

The Boeing 747-400 held 97 passengers and 18 crew.

The Guangzhou-Bangkok flight left Guangzhou airport at 8.58pm (local time) and arrived at the Suvarnabhumi at 10.48pm.

The passengers were safely transferred from the plane to the passenger terminal to wait for their luggage. THAI provided them snacks and drinks while they waited for their luggage.

Pratthana said the airline would cooperate with other agencies to investigate the cause of the accident.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356098

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-09
  • Haha 1

They should change this unlucky flight number.

Was puzzled when searching for TG 679 and find:

September 2013, TG 679 skid off runway after nose gear failed.

(A330-300, 288 passengers, 13 injured)

• Like 1

And there was me thinking that the issue of brake failure was only applicable to lorries and buses.        

????‍✈️

16 minutes ago, Tailwagsdog said:

Regardless of the comments i read here I still put Thai near the top of my list when travelling

Me too. My biggest gripe with them is that their domestic flights are normally always 20 - 30 minutes late taking off but I can't fault their service otherwise when compared to other domestic carriers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lanista said:

97 passengers on a 747-400 from a major Chinese city ! Good indication that the Chinese really are pissed with the Land of Wicked Smiles.

How many Chinese did the TAT say were coming here this year?  12 million or was it 20 million before the ferry massacre and Chinese 'punch in face' deal at Swampy airport.

No problem. Replace Guangzhou-Bangkok route with New Delhi-Bangkok. Eager tourists from India will ensure a full plane... oh, but wait...

• Haha 2

What a waste of space, money and time plus added pollution in the air, just to carry a few handful of passengers ???? 

I take it the pilot was too hot coming in or too young to handle the beast  ?perhaps  he has simply jumped the red light as they often tend to do..... Let’s blame the brakes it’s a good alibi ????

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Wiggy said:

No wonder they are losing so much money with only 97 passengers on a 747. Admittedly there could have been more on the outbound flight, but I doubt if it was the 400+ a 747 can hold, as it's too much of an imbalance. That said, it was a change of equipment from the usual 777.

Back in 2008 i flew back to Heathrow on a Thai 747 with just 49 passengers aboard !

• Like 1