Residents warned to take preventative measures against stroke

rooster59

Residents warned to take preventative measures against stroke

Nuppol Suvansombut

PNSOC611012001003101.jpg

BANGKOK, 12th October 2018, (NNT) - Medical officials from Chulalongkorn Hospital have urged residents to take preventative measures against stroke by exercising regularly, following a healthy diet and being in a happy mood. 

The advice came during a recent seminar on the disease, marking the World Stroke Day on October 29th. Dr. Nijasri Charnnarong , the head of the Chulalongkorn Stroke Center, informed citizens that mini-strokes and strokes are responsible for a large number of deaths nowadays. She said the two variations of stroke are caused by an age factor, hypertension, diabetes, smoking, being overweight, and palpitations. These illnesses and irregularities can form a blood clot in one of the arteries that supply blood to the brain, reducing or blocking the blood flow. In a severe case, the clot could sever the arteries causing brain damage. 

Key symptoms of strokes include numbness in the face, paralysis in either left or right side limbs, being unable to speak clearly, mouth deformation, acute headaches, sudden dizziness, blurry or double vision, one eye blindness and being unable to stand upright. Patients are at risk of death or developing permanent impairments if not receiving treatment within four hours. 

Dr. Nijasri said that the best preventative measures against both variations of stroke are exercising regularly, consuming healthy food, and staying in a happy mood.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-10-13

There seems to be adequate proof that a daily low dose of aspirin can prevent stroke.

I found one site with photos of many shelves of many different brands and strengths, obviously in a US pharmacy. I've never seen so many brands / strengths and here is LOS never seen a pharmacy with such a large range of aspirin.

I've just been surfing for suitable brand names which would be available in LOS but no clear answers.

Can any TV medics please comment or suggest a couple of suitable products. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

There seems to be adequate proof that a daily low dose of aspirin can prevent stroke.

I found one site with photos of many shelves of many different brands and strengths, obviously in a US pharmacy. I've never seen so many brands / strengths and here is LOS never seen a pharmacy with such a large range of aspirin.

I've just been surfing for suitable brand names which would be available in LOS but no clear answers.

Can any TV medics please comment or suggest a couple of suitable products. Thanks.

Aspirin's benefits were recently debunked.

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Unfortunately, a new study appeared in the Australian media which concluded aspirin had a negligible effect on stroke prevention. Sorry, can't find the link.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Unfortunately, a new study appeared in the Australian media which concluded aspirin had a negligible effect on stroke prevention. Sorry, can't find the link.

Confusing, my hospital doctor in CM just recommended it a few days ago but I forgot to ask about what brand etc. 

15 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Confusing, my hospital doctor in CM just recommended it a few days ago but I forgot to ask about what brand etc. 

The brand is immaterial. All aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid.

I don't know how long it takes Thai doctors to catch up with the latest Western research. Or whether they adopt it quickly.

If it is the same news story that I read recently, the study did not conclude that aspirin is not beneficial in stroke prevention. Rather it suggested that in the general population, the benefits may not outweigh the risks (bleeding, hemorrhagic vs ischemic stroke).

In any case, it is one study against versus dozens for. 

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

31 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

The recent study I think you are alluding to is the Monash University of Melbourne study that found no overall benefit for those over 70. However, daily low dose aspirin is still shown to be of benefit to adults aged 50 to 70 in reducing stroke risk, though it should be remembered there are dangers in taking aspirin, it can cause internal bleeding.

The one I take I buy at my local pharmacy, labelled 'Aspent-M 81mg' comes in containers of 60 tablets, costs Bht50.

3 minutes ago, thedemon said:

If it is the same news story that I read recently, the study did not conclude that aspirin is not beneficial in stroke prevention. Rather it suggested that in the general population, the benefits may not outweigh the risks (bleeding, hemorrhagic vs ischemic stroke).

In any case, it is one study against versus dozens for. 

One has to weigh up the one study against those that preceded it. It's about the quality of the study. From memory, the Monash study dealt with a very large population.

My approach to medication is to take the minimum possible, because interactions of many medications can have more adverse effects than the symptoms they are treating. I've weaned myself off anti-inflammatories and anti-depressants for that reason. IMHO there is a culture of over-medication, with considerable support from the pharmaceutical industry.

28 minutes ago, Stocky said:

The recent study I think you are alluding to is the Monash University of Melbourne study that found no overall benefit for those over 70. However, daily low dose aspirin is still shown to be of benefit to adults aged 50 to 70 in reducing stroke risk, though it should be remembered there are dangers in taking aspirin, it can cause internal bleeding.

The one I take I buy at my local pharmacy, labelled 'Aspent-M 81mg' comes in containers of 60 tablets, costs Bht50.

The very latest research indicates that aspirin is weight -related. Persons over 70 kg need a higher dose than the normal 81 g. Research indicated that it was effective in reducing strokes. Previous research was based on 81 g of aspirin. But it did not take into account the person's weight.

21 minutes ago, gamini said:

The very latest research indicates that aspirin is weight -related. Persons over 70 kg need a higher dose than the normal 81 g. Research indicated that it was effective in reducing strokes. Previous research was based on 81 g of aspirin. But it did not take into account the person's weight.

That is interesting and makes sense.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Aspent-M 81 mg but do speak with your doctor and/or research the latest information.

I am guarding against stroke, heart disease, cancer, diabetes and many other diseases by eating a "plant-based diet". I eat no meat, no dairy and no eggs. NOTHING from animal protein which has been shown to cause the majority of chronic disease. The research is rock solid. Google "plant based eating".

9 minutes ago, howbri said:

I am guarding against stroke, heart disease, cancer, diabetes and many other diseases by eating a "plant-based diet". I eat no meat, no dairy and no eggs. NOTHING from animal protein which has been shown to cause the majority of chronic disease. The research is rock solid. Google "plant based eating".

Should that be “plant biased eating” ?

Specific, impartial links would be a great help - thanks.

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Years ago I was on a train when a guy was showing his long-haired cat to two nuns in the same compartment.
One nun had a stroke, but the other one couldn't reach.

Nuns  touching  pussy  eh..............????

16 minutes ago, howbri said:

id  rather "have a  life"

You can do exercising a lot, it serve nothing if you eat sugar a lot.

This is the problem here in Thauland that sugar is present a lot and every where.

Industries are very happy to make you eat this poison (and milk also). There is so many good food in Thai food, but capitalism industries lie and sale you poisons and doesn't provide a real instruction about that.

You are totally miss-informed by industries (and people who get monnaie for provide so wrong communications about the facts around that diabetes or smokers and stroke who can happening from there because of bad alimentation).

5 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

For  with no risk factors.

I had this conversation with my cardiologist  about that just last week. He advise the continuation of my daily  80 mg aspirin regimen.

There should be a law in Thailand that makes it compulsory to have a couple of TVF members in their professional seminars, or may be in the parliament too.

The entire Thai community just cant match the TVF communities intelligence, or so it seems here.

Have seen an awful lot of Thai people out in the countryside who have had strokes. They are universally no fun. Death if lucky, I suppose, although that sometimes involves ambulance rides for hundreds of kilometers with stops at most of the hospitals along the way. Kind of a drag when Mom is mostly brain dead by the time she gets to the "good hospital," with a 5% chance of recovering mental abilities and the children forced to decide whether there is anyone back in the village who can take time away from work to take care of Mom, or whether they must give up on that 5% chance. But not all outcomes are so grim. Some stroke victims recover, and end up hobbling around the village for several more years. Of course back in "the world," stroke victims typically end up in nursing homes.

I would do anything to avoid that fate, and to see to it that my family avoids that fate, and/or the fate of having to take care of a stroke victim for any lengthy period of time.

Low dose aspirin is a blood thinner. Regardless of this or that study, the efficacy of doing this makes a great deal of sense. I see no particular harm resulting from low dose aspirin, and certainly none approaching anything like the severity of any stroke.

I've been taking low dose aspirin for something like 20-25 years now. My wife here in Thailand has been taking it for 4-5 years now. IMO, can't hurt a thing, and I'm sure we both enjoy one another's company much more at present than we would if one or another of us were suffering from a stoke.

My thinking on the matter. You are all of course free to have different opinions on the matter.

Today my coffee drinking friend had a stroke when he was at MacDonalds

having his coffee and muffin breakfast. He had a battle ordering it so was a

bit upset. He was talking and suddenly started mumbling and then became

more unresponsive, 15 minutes later when the ambulance arrived, he as barely

alert. Only 87 and has a great sense of humour, we all hope he recovers

okay.

Geezer

9 hours ago, ravip said:

There should be a law in Thailand that makes it compulsory to have a couple of TVF members in their professional seminars, or may be in the parliament too.

The entire Thai community just cant match the TVF communities intelligence, or so it seems here.

Fair enough. We should shut down all TV forums because the odd person makes a post with wrong information and which offsets all of the sensible points made by others. ☹️ (Sarcasm alert)

Actually, there's nothing in this thread so far that is off-track, wrong, or misleading. But there is valuable information and food for thought. Like anything else, it's up to the individual to assess it, which is far better than wallowing in ignorance. I take low-dose aspirin on the recommendation of my doctor in Thailand and my doctor back home. 

There was a knee-jerk reaction to aspirin when link to Reyes systrome made the news and most doctors will not recommend use - the list of contradictions is long and many I suspect are found among us older expats so might be best to listen to doctors before taking (often recommended 20-30 years ago for anyone):

Conditions:
systemic mastocytosis
Inadequate Vitamin K
Gout
Anemia
Hemophilia
Decrease in the Blood-Clotting Protein Prothrombin
Blood Clotting Disorder - Von Willebrand's Disease
Decreased Blood Platelets
alcoholism
Reye's Syndrome
Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura
Presence of Polyps in the Nose
Ulcer from Stomach Acid
Stomach or Intestinal Ulcer
Damage to Stomach Lining
liver problems
Bleeding of the Stomach or Intestines
kidney disease with reduction in kidney function
pregnancy
a mother who is producing milk and breastfeeding
Anemia from Pyruvate Kinase and G6PD Deficiencies
aspirin exacerbated respiratory disease

If blood thinning is indicated (as for myself after several stents) doctors seem to favor Plavix type medication if affordable.  I can blade shave again using Plavix - using aspirin/Vit E that was becoming a cut fest.  

You wont live to 100,but it will seem like it :P

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Cardiprin 100 is commonly available locally, and being base aspirin, you would need to weigh up the benefit pros and cons.. 

Even taking it 3-4 times weekly, rather than daily, as a preventative measure, would make very good sense for someone in the low risk group, to thin the blood and reduce the incidence of a stroke.. 

Someone in the higher risk group, overweight with incidence of irregular heart palpitations should consider a daily dose.. Aspirin can and does cause internal bleeding, but considering the less than 100mg dose, compared to a regular aspirin with 500mg, I believe the benefits outweigh the risks long term.. 

Strokes are a hidden killer and can strike anyone at any age at any time.. Prevention is always the best consideration though IMHO.. 

Archived