Heading back home after 5 years

Hal65

Time to go back to the US for a few years. So far my moveout checklist includes

- putting everything into storage

- giving notice to the landlord, 

- maybe talking to Bangkok Bank about putting the account into dormant status.

- canceling True internet

- looking into suspending AIS but keeping my number (I'm on prepay so maybe no action is needed?)

Is there anything else you guys do when leaving for a prolonged period? I don't have a vehicle to worry about. I was here on ED visas for years, currently on a tourist one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Putting it into storage. Sounds costly what kind of stuff don't you need to take that you need to keep?

Selling if off not a  option?

I have 40,000 baht worth of weight equipment, including something few others would want (a trap bar, and no straight bar).

So I either try to sell that, probably at a hefty loss, and rebuy again, or pay the 1,500 a month for 2 years, maybe 3 to store it. Storing it would then let me keep my bicycle, blender, air fryer, mattress topper, and a bunch of other lower value stuff too.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I’m not sure on the storage costs, but I’d be thinking sell everything off and re-purchase when you come back. 

Depends I guess on how definite your plans are.

But as you stated a ‘few' years, and a lot can change in a couple of years, so I personally would err on the sell up everything for now, save on the storage stuff and re-start when you return.

The other option of course is to ship everything home. You might want to do the math on storage for several years versus a freight shipment via sea.

I’m assuming you are are a US citizen, so everything is imported into the US tax free as your personal property

Any Idea how much it costs to import about one room worth of stuff? That may be a better option

At $45 per month, $550 per year I'd need to be gone for 6 years. I plan to be gone for 1 to 3 years.

I'm thinking now, if i just store the weights then it'll cost 550 thb per month so about $15 per month, $180/year. I might be able to get the bicycle in there too. Those are the things I want to keep most. It's pushing it though.

15 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

It seems to me that those who always say what a great thing it was to relocate to their country ex-Thailand are those who were able to bring their Thai wife or girlfriend or other various forms of Thai female companionship along with them.

I would even consider relocating if I could bring a Thai girlfriend with me but then I would have to figure out which one.

I’m never quite sure how that pans out.

Of course there are the crash and burn guys You know the all too familiar story, married a bar girl, stole all my  money etc. I think that’s the scenario that you are describing.

I’m a little bit more optimistic, that for many of us, it’s just we tire of the place. Taking wife's, girlfriends, kids back to farangland it’s actually a very fulfilling experience, and I think works out, contrary to TVF lore, quite well in most cases.

Now, if in your case your ‘renting’.

Choose wisely my friend LOL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I’m a little bit more optimistic, that for many of us, it’s just we tire of the place. Taking wife's, girlfriends, kids back to farangland it’s actually a very fulfilling experience, and I think works out, contrary to TVF lore, quite well in most cases.

Now, if in your case your ‘renting’.

That's OK if you have wife and kids. I have long-term rental and I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact I pay reverse sin-sod to the family so I DON'T have to marry their young voluptuous daughter. And if my unofficial 100% young Thai daughter were to locate to the USA, she would probably be a year ahead of her fellow same-age US classmates.

• Like 1

Yes, think twice about storage.  When I moved from Thailand to work in Myanmar I put some important items in store (ham radio transmitters and antennas that are very difficult to import into Thailand).  

2.5 years later and they are still in store and I'm about 20,000 baht out of pocket in storage fees...

Thank heavens I'm coming 'home' at the end of this month.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Yeah, in most cases your number is gone when you don't use your phone (top-up) for a year.

Happened to me before, but back then i couldnt care less.

Maybe turn on roaming, top-up with the minimum amount every 11 months, and turn on your phone for 5 minutes to call your landline for a second so you still use the number.

As some others have said, I highly discourage the idea of storage here or anywhere for the matter. It seldom ever works out. 

Do you have any friends that will let you store the weight equipment at their place with the trade off being they can use it?

Good Luck 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hal65 said:

maybe talking to Bangkok Bank about putting the account into dormant status.

Actually I have left my BKB account for 2 years at a time with no problems.Never notified them

The only thing is setup  any transfer accounts ahead of time you think you may use in Thailand...makes it easier since they want to send a One Time Password via phone message

But once setup you can use it without any further one time passwords needed

You can continue to use the BKB online Bualuang ibanking from the USA to do  transfers etc if you want. Also of course you can use US online banks to transfer $$ to your BKB account via BKB New York etc

• Like 1

So, I think you've been given all the options and it really really comes down to how sure (certain) you are about your return plans.

I had been living in Shanghai for a few years and was 'seconded' to our office in Singapore for 9 months, and was then supposed to return. Of course 9 months turned into 2 years, and after all that I ended up getting moved to Taiwan.

The reason I tell you this, is because I had stored stuff in Shanghai, but my company was paying the storage fees. When I did get it out however, it wasn't altogether a good thing. You need to be really careful about getting a climate controlled unit, which will cost more, otherwise you'll find any soft goods with mold, and all that nice shiney weight gear will be covered in surface rust

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

Ever see the show where storage-locker contents are disposed of by blind auction?  It's hard to tell what the future holds.  Someone other than the OP could end up with a bicycle, weight equipment and rotted kitchen appliances -- not a bad deal if the winning bid is cheap enough.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, oobar said:

Ever see the show where storage-locker contents are disposed of by blind auction?  It's hard to tell what the future holds.  Someone other than the OP could end up with a bicycle, weight equipment and rotted kitchen appliances -- not a bad deal if the winning bid is cheap enough.

Oh Storage Wars...it’s one of those appalling shows that I hate myself for actually liking.

Watching some poor sops worldly possessions be auctioned off

14 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I’m not sure on the storage costs, but I’d be thinking sell everything off and re-purchase when you come back. 

Depends I guess on how definite your plans are.

But as you stated a ‘few' years, and a lot can change in a couple of years, so I personally would err on the sell up everything for now, save on the storage stuff and re-start when you return.

The other option of course is to ship everything home. You might want to do the math on storage for several years versus a freight shipment via sea.

I’m assuming you are are a US citizen, so everything is imported into the US tax free as your personal property

Have you ever tried to sell anything here? It takes for ever. As far as I can tell everybody is either really cheap or really poor. I have sold multiple things on Craigslist in California, everything from kayaks, to many motorbikes, bicycles, cars, etc and everything was gone within one to two weeks......here it was like pulling teeth. If he doesn't want to take a great loss and rebuy, put it in storage.

4 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Yeah, in most cases your number is gone when you don't use your phone (top-up) for a year.

Happened to me before, but back then i couldnt care less.

Maybe turn on roaming, top-up with the minimum amount every 11 months, and turn on your phone for 5 minutes to call your landline for a second so you still use the number.

If you have a Thai Bank Account, it's easy to top-up using Online/Mobile Banking and if you're on AIS, every top-up adds an extra month to the validity of your SIM up to a maximum of 12 months. 

If you don't have a Thai Bank Account or Online/Mobile Banking, I've used these guys https://mobiletopup.com/ a couple of times with no problems (Again, every top up added 1 month to my AIS valid to date).

• Like 1