Exclusive - Ecuador no longer to intervene with UK for WikiLeaks Assange: foreign minister

webfact

4 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

Next thing I expect you people will be defending, is Safe Zones in higher education institutes, so that the fragile students can run and hide, so as not to be exposed to hurtful words.  

during undergrad, doctoral and postdoctoral studies the only safe zones were the dinner table, shower and bed, but only after all the work was done. Oh we also had sports but not too easy to feel safe on a basketball or football court.

4 hours ago, britishrepublican said:

He's a coward. He should face the courts just like the rest of us. At first I had sympathy for him but that ran out a long time ago.

Same with me, him helping DT get elected crossed a line for which there is no coming back.

Anticipating Roger Stone will throw him under the bus in the near future.

15 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Because there is no such thing as an injustice done under a legal, constitutional passed law in any nation. Oops, sorry just reflecting what I have been told by the "law and order" folks in the good old USA.... can someone help me up after "taking a knee" for so long?

This has nothing to do with the USA, except perhaps to the little voices in the anti-USA obsessed space between your ears.

19 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

What really surprises me is that so many of the posters here, seem to completely support the Government being able to sweep it's dirty secrets under the rug, and operate with complete impunity.

I think that point of view would quickly change if the government did something to harm them, or their family.

As much as you may not like him personally, he did perform a very important function, of shining the light on massive government wrongdoings, which would have otherwise been unknown.  Unfortunately most leaders in the world lean towards authoritarianism, and believe that they can do whatever they want without consequences. Look at the recent Saudi affair as an example.

All of you people who are anti Assange/anti Wikileaks just go on to reinforce these assumptions.

Don't you think that the world would be a much better off, if we had complete transparency?

Next thing I expect you people will be defending, is Safe Zones in higher education institutes, so that the fragile students can run and hide, so as not to be exposed to hurtful words.  

"What really surprises me is that so many of the posters here, seem to completely support the Government being able to sweep it's dirty secrets under the rug, and operate with complete impunity.

I think that point of view would quickly change if the government did something to harm them, or their family.

As much as you may not like him personally, he did perform a very important function, of shining the light on massive government wrongdoings, which would have otherwise been unknown.  Unfortunately most leaders in the world lean towards authoritarianism, and believe that they can do whatever they want without consequences. Look at the recent Saudi affair as an example.

All of you people who are anti Assange/anti Wikileaks just go on to reinforce these assumptions."

Agree entirely.

I too am at a loss as to why so many hate the messenger, rather than the awful truth revealed in the wikileaks revelations!

17 hours ago, britishrepublican said:

No. He broke the conditions of his bail that was imposed by the UK courts.

Know your facts in future or look stupid, that's my advice to you, my friend.

Hardly suprising, as the Swedish charges (IIRC) wouldn't 'hold water' in the UK.  So why were the UK looking to extradite him to Sweden?  Additionally, why were the Swedes so persistent in their determination to have him extradited, for so many years, to be 'questioned'??

And why were the UK authorities so concerned about only this particular bail jumper??

IIRC, the Swedes have dropped all the charges and so one would have thought the UK authorities would also have let the matter drop.  But no, they're still keen to arrest him...

Like I said in the other thread. I think he just plainly lost his plot. Julian's latest suing stunt is not very strategic, nor productive. Notwithstanding his contributions to the humankind, I now believe he deserves what is coming to him.

Yes, "Biting the hand..." comes to mind.

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Hardly suprising, as the Swedish charges (IIRC) wouldn't 'hold water' in the UK.  So why were the UK looking to extradite him to Sweden?  Additionally, why were the Swedes so persistent in their determination to have him extradited, for so many years, to be 'questioned'??

And why were the UK authorities so concerned about only this particular bail jumper??

IIRC, the Swedes have dropped all the charges and so one would have thought the UK authorities would also have let the matter drop.  But no, they're still keen to arrest him...

He has to still abide by the UK courts and he broke the conditions of his bail, in essence, he broke UK law and he should face the courts like everyone else.

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

I think he is 'biting the hand..' because he's losing the plot.  (As would anyone stuck in an embassy for 6 years with a diarrhoeic cat...)

Well, the cat is probably hanging on to its sanity as well. Imagine being stuck in the embassy for 6 hours with Assange...

10 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Why should the UK Gov let the matter drop? jumping bail is a crime.

In the UK there are tens of thousands of  people on bail who have skipped.

No doubt the police will have called at their last known addresses, apart from some followup leads, except for serious criminals the police will put the warrants on the back burner, as one day they will eventually fall into the long arms of the law. 

Here comes the bus

Roger Stone tried to secure pardon for Julian Assange

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/roger-stone-tried-to-secure-pardon-for-julian-assange

Impressive about this article is that it is in a very right-wing newspaper.  Usually these papers shy away from any speculation (or possibly actual news) that is unflattering to this administration.

Feb 13th this year:

Julian Assange will continue to face detention if he leaves the Ecuadorian embassy in London after a British judge upheld a warrant for his arrest.

Handing down her judgment at Westminster magistrates court, the senior district judge Emma Arbuthnot said she was not persuaded by the argument from Assange’s legal team that it was not in the public interest to pursue him for skipping bail.

She said: “I find arrest is a proportionate response even though Mr Assange has restricted his own freedom for a number of years. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/feb/13/judge-refuses-to-withdraw-julian-assange-arrest-warrant

Facing up to 1 year at Her Majesties Pleasure

On 10/24/2018 at 8:32 PM, Grouse said:

Deary me!

Do you think our government would resist an American extradition request? Believe me TM would drop her knickers to get a trade deal. A head on a plate via DHL would do nicely

That was the whole point

Such naïvety

????

Can win on the merits of the argument so change the subject. Naivety?... oh the irony!

On 10/24/2018 at 9:18 PM, NoBrainer said:

What really surprises me is that so many of the posters here, seem to completely support the Government being able to sweep it's dirty secrets under the rug, and operate with complete impunity.

All of you people who are anti Assange/anti Wikileaks just go on to reinforce these assumptions.

Don't you think that the world would be a much better off, if we had complete transparency?

memory is limited, even in a computer.

On 10/24/2018 at 8:24 PM, Grouse said:

What, face an American court?

On 10/24/2018 at 8:26 PM, britishrepublican said:

No. He broke the conditions of his bail that was imposed by the UK courts.

Know your facts in future or look stupid, that's my advice to you, my friend.

Yes Grouse... to face an American court. He was held over on bail having failed to prevent extradition proceedings to the US, so sought refuge in the Ecuadorian embassy.

when he emerges, the poms will nab him and will send him to the US.

the other poster above, can’t help but say stuff which make himself look stupid.... and apparently likes to employ insults, as part of the basis of his arguments

????????????????

50 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Yes Grouse... to face an American court. He was held over on bail having failed to prevent extradition proceedings to the US, so sought refuge in the Ecuadorian embassy.

the other poster above, can’t help but say stuff which make himself look stupid.... and apparently likes to employ insults, as part of the basis of his arguments

????????????????

Are you sure? Afaik there was an extradition request from Sweden, and there was no decision yet on that.

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

????????????????

The US had not issued an international arrest warrant or any extradition request for Assange at the time he skipped bail and went into hiding in the Ecuadorean embassy.

He skipped bail to avoid being extradited to Sweden.

Had he indeed been extradited to Sweded any subsequent US extradition request would have been subject to challenge in both the Swedish AND British courst.

Complying with the Swedish extradition request would have made it more difficult for the US to extradite him (and in any case the US were not trying to do so).

Assange skipped bail and hid in the Ecuadorean embassy in order to avoid facing questioning by prosecutors in Sweden.

Assange’s day of reckoning before a US court will come when Mueller indicts him and he is extradited to the US.

His time in the Ecuadorean embassy is a matter of his own personal choices in no way related to Mueller’s investigation and will be irrelevant when the time comes for him to be sentenced.

He’s toast.

2 minutes ago, Rhys said:

What is next?

My guess, he’ll be evicted from the Ecuadorean embassy and then arrested for skipping bail.

Assange will be held in custody as a proven flight risk.

Mueller will then issue a well timed arrest warrant.

A few weeks of legal battles and Assange will be extradited to the US.

Game over.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Are you sure? Afaik there was an extradition request from Sweden, and there was no decision yet on that.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/julian-assange-what-is-uk-ecuador-embassy-how-leave-us-extradition-wikileaks-a8199771.html

The Swedish prosecutors have stopped their investigations and dropped the charges against Assange ( with the caveat that the investigations might resume if he enters Sweden before 2020, when statute of limitations kicks in)... so Sweden is not a problem for him

meanwhile jeff sessions has said “ mr Assange’s arrest was a priority”... which is most definitely a problem for him

Assange and his lawyers are convinced that there is an extradition order on him, but it’s not confirmed, with the Brits refusing to confirm or deny this.... read into that what you will...Assange’s take is that this confirms it

given Assange’s background in hacking and journalism, I think that he’s more likely correct than paranoid.

meanwhile... yes, he has to face British law about bail jumping, but if he can demonstrate justification, he will probably be acquitted on that score

so.... given the totality of that..... once he’s free of the embassy, he’s toast..... sure, I could be wrong....  but if I were him, I’d do everything I could to avoid a situation which might enable the US to get their hands on him.... and him sitting in a British jail cell would work out very nicely for the US.

let me correct a point... earlier I wrote US, when I should have written Sweden..... I was too focused on the larger conspiracy regards extradition to the US, via Sweden, and skipped that... my apologies

5 hours ago, farcanell said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/julian-assange-what-is-uk-ecuador-embassy-how-leave-us-extradition-wikileaks-a8199771.html

The Swedish prosecutors have stopped their investigations and dropped the charges against Assange ( with the caveat that the investigations might resume if he enters Sweden before 2020, when statute of limitations kicks in)... so Sweden is not a problem for him

meanwhile jeff sessions has said “ mr Assange’s arrest was a priority”... which is most definitely a problem for him

Assange and his lawyers are convinced that there is an extradition order on him, but it’s not confirmed, with the Brits refusing to confirm or deny this.... read into that what you will...Assange’s take is that this confirms it

given Assange’s background in hacking and journalism, I think that he’s more likely correct than paranoid.

meanwhile... yes, he has to face British law about bail jumping, but if he can demonstrate justification, he will probably be acquitted on that score

so.... given the totality of that..... once he’s free of the embassy, he’s toast..... sure, I could be wrong....  but if I were him, I’d do everything I could to avoid a situation which might enable the US to get their hands on him.... and him sitting in a British jail cell would work out very nicely for the US.

let me correct a point... earlier I wrote US, when I should have written Sweden..... I was too focused on the larger conspiracy regards extradition to the US, via Sweden, and skipped that... my apologies

I very politely correct you, and in response to that you quote me and go on a rambling nothing to do with the quote, to end with saying you made a mistake.

Your earlier post was incorrect.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

I very politely correct you, and in response to that you quote me and go on a rambling nothing to do with the quote, to end with saying you made a mistake.

Your earlier post was incorrect.

I thought you were asking a question... and I thought acknowledging mistakes a positive... actually, I still do.

Archived