sell gold necklace back to shop

pumpjack

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

If that is all.. then not much loss.. i expected it to be more.

Yes, but they'll always try the normal excuses; some 'nicks' here and there, it's been used, dirty etc.

In short, they'll never pay the 'buy price' that they advertise.

Edited by Vacuum
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

In theory, the difference between buy and sell, the price is 50 or 100 baht for one baht.

Sorry Vacuum that is a Bullion price you are quoting ---certainly not the same with jewelry. Work out how much bullion (Baht weight)  there is then you will know the minimum you will get back---- then plus how much they will pay for craftsmanship.

• Like 2

I would go myself with receipt and a Thai person if poss to explain The loss if any, if gold is the same price as when you bought 100,000 there is a jewelry price and a bullion price, they will go jewelry price which is normally 100 baht per baht price less for buy back.

They will examine it, clean it and weigh it and price accordingly.

One of the gold shops my wife goes don't charge for time had.  

Edited by Kwasaki

I've sold 5 baht at a random gold store in Udon Thani mall.

Didn't have to show any ID, I didn't buy it from that shop.

They take the gold put it on the scale, it had lost a couple grams from being worn for years, check selling price, calculate the amount and cash in hand. No problem

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, but they'll always try the normal excuses; some 'nicks' here and there, it's been used, dirty etc.

In short, they'll never pay the 'buy price' that they advertise.

My wife often sells back and upgrades her gold.. they always weigh it and pay the price.. never had them haggle.. but that is just our experience.. 

• Like 1

The latest price for gold ornaments (jewellery) is 18707/baht weight so 5 baht will get 93535 less commission charged by the shops which sometimes can be negotiated. So Cereal would be close to the mark on a 10% loss.

With the stock markets crashing I would wait a bit longer as gold is heading up.

Edited by Dazinoz

23 hours ago, Vacuum said:

In theory, the difference between buy and sell, the price is 50 or 100 baht for one baht.

Thats for bars not jewellery. It is 100 baht for bars and nearly 1000 for jewellery plus commission.

22 hours ago, jvs said:

The price of gold is up slightly from a month ago.

Fixed prices are shown in the shop,your jewelry if it still looks good maybe cleaned and resol as jewelry or just melted down.

The difference between buy and sell is only 100baht as mentioned before.

You can go by yourself ,no problem.If you do not get the normal price go to another gold shop.

100 baht difference only applies to bullion (bars), jewellery is nearly 1000 difference. See pic. First price is for bullion or bars and second is for jewellery.

Image-1.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 10:19 AM, robblok said:

Talk about bad planning.. i expect you to lose quite a bit on it. I am no expert but there are 2 prices one for buying and one for selling. I think the rates are fixed.

That’s right also the price in the shop is he cost of the gold not for the design 

for example if you buy gold bars then that’s the value of the price in the shop

to buy a gold chain the buy price would be the value of gold thag day then a set smaller cost for the design

Should get quite a bit back though at least 90% of the value set at today’s gold price 

What you need to do is go to any shop and get a value 

then go and calculate the value yourself or with someone who knows about gold 

then if your happy with the price the shop offered you then go back and sell of not then go to another shop 

3 minutes ago, BigC said:

What you need to do is go to any shop and get a value 

then go and calculate the value yourself or with someone who knows about gold 

then if your happy with the price the shop offered you then go back and sell of not then go to another shop 

All shops work on the quoted spread prices of Thai gold both bars and jewellery at any given time then usually add a commission. Its the commission that can vary for a given gold price.

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Like 1