What are the "Pro's & Con's" of living in Philippines?

Daveyh

https://harrythehorse.asia/newsletter-archive

Link to Harry the Horse Newsletters from Angeles. He had to stop writing them in 2017 because of health, but back issues give you a continuous lok at Angeles City and Subic covering many years. Will give you a historical look at most everything , especially if retired. Very Best of Luck in your search.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Daveyh said:

I'm sure you are right about dozens of threads on the subject, but how about an update? I'm looking for something more positive & a recent up to date prior to going & having a look myself.

I've always used the "search" option on TV before raising a new topic ........ sadly it does not appear to work that well. <removed>........ but later found a thread where I could copy my posts. Are other members having this problem?? Cheers ..... 

You say you would like a recent more positive review, what if we are giving you our impressions and reviews but you find them not positve. This is resent as I have a friend who bought a home for his pinay GF (now wife) but has never lived there. There are armed security (shot guns, automatic weapons)  at banks, malls and even McDonalds. Abu Sayyaf  group is known to kidnap tourists/expats for ransom and have killed them when not paid. Google them and their activities. Internet and electric power goes out all the time (brownouts) Hurricanes can hit areas.

Cheap sex, but Angeles City is a dump that looks seedy and cheap, check out videos on YouTube

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I’m on my third visit to PI and I really like it. But then I’m a beach bum and like to swim everyday. I’m really tired of the filthy Thai beaches.

I’m not a big fan of the food as I’m a semi-vegetarian and they love their pork and beef here. Not to mention the psychedelic hotdogs...

I really love the people and it’s so nice to be able to converse with almost everyone. They seem to be genuinely friendly and very happy.

I’m with a new gf on Mindanao and unlike my previous Thai gfs, she’s not after money. In fact, I keep encouraging her to shop for new clothes and she says she doesn’t need anything.

This morning I left 50 pesos on the bed for the maid and it was still there when I returned - on the newly made bed???

i tip the taxi drivers (who always use the meter) and they always look at me with surprise.

i have been to Cebu, Dumaguete, Siquijor and Palawan. Palawan was the only island I didn’t like.

i haven’t explored much of Mindanao yet but have a feeling it’s the island for me.

”building homes in SEA for one woman at a time”

The integrity of taxi drivers very much depends where you are. Be aware whilst taxis from Cebu Airport are well controlled you will struggle to get a taxi from Manila airport to town without getting ripped off!

• Like 2

Just the tip of the iceberg.....

For a start.....

Study up on these guys too....They are basically thugs for hire & are a constant in the PI.....

Police are scared of them ....Military doesn't look to hard to find them & they hold sway most everywhere.....If someone has a problem - for $$$$$$ they make the problem/person go away.....And PI doesn't keep tabs on foreigners....

Read the PI forums (like TVF) and you'll get some insight into different areas + what these guys are up to.....

Screenshot_2018-11-01-21-02-15-21.png

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

If your were in the USA military, live near a U.S. VA hospital.  Do they still have VA hospitals in the Philippine ?

The Philippine is a fourth world country, I saw many western retirees in Angle City with swollen angles.   

There is one VA outpatient clinic in Manila that I think they are trying to close.

Edited by marcusarelus

On 10/31/2018 at 12:24 PM, KittenKong said:

UK pension increases paid in full.

Wow! I didn't know that.

Any reason why? RP was a US colony not British.

I have never been but it has been on the list for a while.

A friend said, "there are too many guns" but there are plenty in LOS, or the States for that matter.

????

Of course, living in Thailand has an advantage: you can always spot the mafia, as they are almost always wearing uniforms (or have done).

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Wow! I didn't know that.

Any reason why? RP was a US colony not British.

I have never been but it has been on the list for a while.

The UK pension annual increases and the possible freezing thereof are a source of constant wonder.

Basically it all boils down to whether there is a reciprocal agreement between the UK and the country in question. Trouble is, there is no obvious way of working out whether such an agreement exists apart from looking at a list. Certainly being an ex-colony or part of the Commonwealth has nothing to do with it.

http://www.britishpensions.org.au/frozenindexed.htm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Among folks who have spent a lot of time in BOTH places, the majority far and away would seem to pick Thailand over the PH.

I've spent a lot of time in both countries, going back more than 40 years. I picked Thailand to retire to but I prefer the RP, mostly for reasons I described in an earlier post. Hardly a day passes when I dont wonder if my choice was correct.

35 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I've spent a lot of time in both countries, going back more than 40 years. I picked Thailand to retire to but I prefer the RP, mostly for reasons I described in an earlier post. Hardly a day passes when I dont wonder if my choice was correct.

I too have kicked this idea around as Im burned out on Thais...but maybe a diff location may help

Would be nice to have a normal conversation with the locals and a western vibe....

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The UK pension annual increases and the possible freezing thereof are a source of constant wonder.

Basically it all boils down to whether there is a reciprocal agreement between the UK and the country in question. Trouble is, there is no obvious way of working out whether such an agreement exists apart from looking at a list. Certainly being an ex-colony or part of the Commonwealth has nothing to do with it.

http://www.britishpensions.org.au/frozenindexed.htm

Reciprocal agreements, yes. Not something likely with UK and Thailand. Shame we bothered to stop the French colonizing the place really considering the history of SE Asia...

After decades living here I'm just sick of too many aspects of staying in Thailand.

The place remains feudal politically and hugely xenophobic.

Of course they are jealous of white skin...

I still like the weather, but the girls are getting fat.????

????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/1/2018 at 10:28 AM, BritManToo said:

Baloy Long Beach Road, Barretto, Olongapo, Zambales 

Details, fly to Manila airport, taxi (or walk) to Victory Liner bus station Pasay, Bus to Olongapo, Blue Jeepney to Baloy Long beach.

Bus to Olongapo 240 peso and 4 hours. Departing every 30 minutes, 24/7.

Blue Jeepney (walk out of bus station and there will be a row of them on the right) to Barreto 15 peso and 30 minutes.

Air-con room on Baloy Long beach around 1000 peso/night. Walk down the road onto the private road, and knock on a few doors.

My pals love it there, the place is full of bars, western restaurants and resorts.

Arizona Resort has their own Scuba diving boat, Mexican Restaurant and a go-go bar onsite.

Loads of scuba diving in the area, and boat trips to islands.

Blue Rock Resort has a nice beach restaurant, pot of tea 50 peso.

Cheap Charlies rooftop bar has cheap beer all day, 35 peso small bottle.

https://www.victoryliner.com/TerminalGuide.aspx

Thanks ........ just the ticket. It will give me my "starter for ten" & onwards & upwards from there ...... exactly what I needed. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

From a few posts I've noticed that members don't like the "Worldwide Tax Problem" in PI? I'm not sure what is meant by this ........ are you saying money is taxed again when it arrives in country? My income comes from UK based pensions, hence it's tax there before it goes into my account ....... just wondering. I'd appreciate clarity here ........ thanks.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:29 AM, Daveyh said:

From a few posts I've noticed that members don't like the "Worldwide Tax Problem" in PI? I'm not sure what is meant by this ........ are you saying money is taxed again when it arrives in country? My income comes from UK based pensions, hence it's tax there before it goes into my account ....... just wondering. I'd appreciate clarity here ........ thanks.

For you it probably would not be much of an issue in either country due to dual-taxation agreements, but some people have foreign income that is paid tax-free due to non-residency. Depending on where they live they may or may not be taxed on it there.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:32 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Because of the English language issue, and the arguably deteriorating environment for expats in Thailand, I've often thought about/hoped that I could convince myself that the PH would be an acceptable alternative if the need ever ultimately arose. Unfortunately, I've never been able to convince myself that the PH would be an acceptable alternative, at least, for me.

As many other expats, I read what people say about other countries, among them, Philippines 

I understand what you feel, but unlike you, I have not many hesitations 

I stay in Thailand, I live in the sticks, I can read and speak Thai and people are not after my money

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Lots of answers to the above questions, but I'll just offer two:

1. They're arresting and jailing foreigners for failing to do their 90 day reports these days....

They are fining foreigners for not do their 90 day reports and this is ok because they don't obey the rules. They are not jailing them for that.

What is your intention? Why are you publishing fake news here. Why do you irritate others here?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

'Booming'?  hahaha   what planet are you living on?  do you talk to any Thais?  I'm afraid your understanding of Thais, Thailand and the 'government' is virtually zero.

GDP growth: 3.0% (2015), 3.3% (2016), 3.9% (2017e), 4.1% (2018f)

Is this stagnating?

My understanding about people like you is zero!

• Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:28 PM, BritManToo said:

Baloy Long Beach Road, Barretto, Olongapo, Zambales 

Details, fly to Manila airport, taxi (or walk) to Victory Liner bus station Pasay, Bus to Olongapo, Blue Jeepney to Baloy Long beach.

Bus to Olongapo 240 peso and 4 hours. Departing every 30 minutes, 24/7.

Blue Jeepney (walk out of bus station and there will be a row of them on the right) to Barreto 15 peso and 30 minutes.

Air-con room on Baloy Long beach around 1000 peso/night. Walk down the road onto the private road, and knock on a few doors.

My pals love it there, the place is full of bars, western restaurants and resorts.

Arizona Resort has their own Scuba diving boat, Mexican Restaurant and a go-go bar onsite.

Loads of scuba diving in the area, and boat trips to islands.

Blue Rock Resort has a nice beach restaurant, pot of tea 50 peso.

Cheap Charlies rooftop bar has cheap beer all day, 35 peso small bottle.

https://www.victoryliner.com/TerminalGuide.aspx

I was just there 2 months ago, sad to report Cheap Charlie's moved a few roof-tops down the road and now charges 50peso, good wifi, music and the ladies don't bother you if you don't want.