Australia joins the UK and USA with withdrawal of income verification

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Strange that it's all 'anglo' countries that have been kicking the traces and pawing the ground, 'we can't do that' and everybody else just kept quiet and carried on, at least up til now no none English speaking country has upset the apple cart.

Hahahahaha, pawing shit, you are pawing nothing, Just upsetting Immigration nothing more. You can keep you apple cart we do not need it..

glegolo

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

We aren't propping up the Thai economy, we're just a drop in the bucket. Most of us need them a lot more than they need us.

Most don't work in the tourist-sector - but all I have met in the tourist-sector appreciate us, and are not at all fond of our "replacements."  When they hear TI is "cracking down," they cuss, because it means their incomes are further undermined, because yet more of their formerly-happy customers cannot spend money with them any more.

And we don't need the ones who don't need us - we are not here because of Thailand's manufacturing sector, for example.  Expat-funded businesses don't harm manufacturing, or the reverse, so why not let both thrive?

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I think that is because all those anglo countries use the same system. The other countries did do some checks of documents. The anglo method is the weakest method fraud wise.. the other countries have a little bit stronger system in place (less trusting of their own countrymen) and thus so far have not upset the cart.

Anyway I have always just put money in a Thai account to avoid this hassle. 

I've just become a transferwise member and will transfer funds monthly as of December despite the German letter, who knows whats coming.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Tell me, what are your motives in commenting on this forum? To stick the knife into the Aussies, to gloat that the Swedes are yet to have the axe fall, what exactly?

My friend Gloating at other visas misfortunes has been a sport here on Thai Visa ever sense the 30 day visa runners were taken out behind the wood shed for a good trashing by loads of self righteous members here......

27 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

why would they want somebody with 800 000 in the bank

and monthly expenditure of say 80-120 000 gone?

Maybe because you're overpaid, oversexed and over here (to shamelessly steal a quote from another time and place)? ????

40 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The real cash is from tourists....come, spend a lot and leave. I think allowing us to live here is more an act of goodwill between countries, rather than any real need for the presence of retirees. 

If your married these people can't stop you. There's no goodwill here. Retires feed the economy..its pure racism with the people currently in seat. This is temporary just like they are. Election there history along with Joke watch man and the rest

29 minutes ago, glegolo said:

You assume wrong my friend, I am from Sweden, one of the main countries by the way..

glegolo

Eh? Sweden haven't been a 'main country' since Zlatan Ibrahimovic threw in the towel on his international career.

Maybe even before that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fforest1 said:

My friend Gloating at other visas misfortunes has been a sport here on Thai Visa ever sense the 30 day visa runners were taken out behind the wood shed for a good trashing by loads of self righteous members here......

There's a saying, ' nothing gladdens the heart more than to observe the the misfortune of your friends'

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

We will see if its not going to cut it.. with the Dutch they ask for documents of the tax office.. that is a HUGE difference and almost impossible to fake. Anyway.. lets wait and see.  

I supplied the official pension document from the Government Pension office and they would be hard to fake...……..the point is that even with the safest and best documents/statements in the world, the Embassies do not want to take the responsibility of proving/certifying that the applicant is getting what is stated on those docs.

I see all Embassies moving that way eventually.

Over and out for sure now!!!!!!!!

Driving home from the shops, the wife and I heard on the radio the local news. The radio jock told us in Thai 'no overstayers' are now on the computer system.

ZERO - I started laughing almost straight-a-way

They said a system was now being put in place for immigration. I gather they meant for overstay but it had immigration plastered all over it.

My wife looked at me and laughed. I then told her about our Australian issue.

She said, ''It's so obvious people want to keep big face and elections are coming'' Then so matter-a-factly, she just said, 'Just keep the 400K in the account. If it changes in the future, what can we do? We don't make the rules and they don't care about anyone. We worry about it when it happens."

Just so Thai. If it doesn't happen today, we can wait till tomorrow. So I think we might just have a bit of a wait on our hands to see what the outcome to all of this will be in changes overtime because this will in effect, take months to stream through. Like other posters have said; won't worry about this now until the fat lady sings and that at this stage won't be until next year or until a new Order of some sort comes out.

Edited by totally thaied up
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, onera1961 said:

I am not sure if 800K requirement will be changed. But I think TI does not want people from Western countries live in poverty stricken areas of Thailand with a minuscule amount of pension (e.g. 600 to 800K USD). Regular 65K incoming/month coming to a Thai bank will be accept fro now, I guess. 

7 hours ago, onera1961 said:

I am not sure if 800K requirement will be changed. But I think TI does not want people from Western countries live in poverty stricken areas of Thailand with a minuscule amount of pension (e.g. 600 to 800K USD). Regular 65K incoming/month coming to a Thai bank will be accept fro now, I guess. 

Yes I understand that pension paid in to a Thai bank will be acceptable. However, if your Thai resident I believe this will become taxable in Thailand if your over the tax threshold.   Thats no doubt the reason for all this. With the UK there is a reciprocal tax agreement with Thailand I believe. Unfortunately I think many UK citizens living in Thailand have not claimed Non residence with the UK so will not be able to reclaim any UK tax paid through the double taxation agreement. If they claim UK non residence there are other issues, frozen pension, UK national health entitlement etc etc

• Like 2

dunno, but this seems a bit like a storm in the basin for me

I am not into this income verification business - but I know my embassy does this

look, certificate of residence I get from my embassy;

I slip them a piece of handwritten paper with my address and my passport on the counter

they produce a standard letter with the text

Mr piip piip holder of passport xxxxxxx has today informed the embassy that he resides at

moo

soi - thannon

tambon

amp

changwat

signatures/stamps

Thai authorities happy  I'm happy

must be possible to device similar wording re income

1 minute ago, Media1 said:

You are a funny man obviously don't get out much. Toddle off

Oh, now I'm worthy of a reply? Try at least some originality, "don't get out much" must be the most over-used trite comment there is.

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

I doubt whether Thailand really cares.  They certainly did a few decades ago, when Thailand depended on Western money and Western goodwill to survive.  Nowadays, all Thailand cares about is China. A lot of what they perceive as Western influences are regarded as a nuisance at best, a severe problem at worst.  You could tell things were going to change when the supermarkets in CTW and Paragon started printing out the food aisles signs in Chinese.

The same arguement was used prior to destroying Khaosan road and now they spending millions to revive it.

Of course they do not care because they incapable of planning for the future and incapable of seeing consequences which are to come.

I can understand Thailand wanting people with money , but what they fail to understand and comprehend is that Thailand was never a place for rich to retire, not is it becoming any more attractive for the rich to come.

Retired guys may not have 800000 in cash to keep in the bank yet their pension is about triple of Thai average salary and they are not entitled to any assistance from the state.

Then also keep in mind how many people live off that retiree, not including gf’s.

Should most pack up and move, I think thailand would feel it, not inmidiately but within short time frame 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, zydeco said:

And THAT is the point. All these letters are being stopped because they cannot be verified.

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

We will see if its not going to cut it.. with the Dutch they ask for documents of the tax office.. that is a HUGE difference and almost impossible to fake. Anyway.. lets wait and see. 

The Dutch embassy actually can verify the documents by contacting the tax office.

see https://www.nederlandwereldwijd.nl/documenten/publicaties/2017/05/11/qa-visumondersteuningsbrief

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I supplied the official pension document from the Government Pension office and they would be hard to fake...……..the point is that even with the safest and best documents/statements in the world, the Embassies do not want to take the responsibility of proving/certifying that the applicant is getting what is stated on those docs.

I see all Embassies moving that way eventually.

Over and out for sure now!!!!!!!!

Sorry mate, if the Dutch go on on this path funneling it through the tax office then they can be sure about the documents (official tax documents are impossible to fake) plus the tax office does the checking. So I see solutions for innovative countries.

You have to understand in the Dutch tax system we already have an income statement that we can ask for. The tax office will then send this statement and that can be used for checks. So that would mean that the Dutch embassay would only have to deal with one document if they want. 

Anyway I have no bone in this fight as i have always used money in a Thai bank when i was on marriage visa. 

See post above.. seems the Dutch actually do check it with the tax office when they are not sure. I just read the Dutch letter and they do mention checks with the tax office. So totally different from other counrties.

Edited by robblok