Speed Limits in Thailand

nong38

As noted earlier most the highways 90 but there are areas which 

lower speed limits are posted. If you choose to ignore them keep

your eyes open and watch for cameras. If not you could get a ticket in the mail....at least you’ll be able to see what you look like when driving...

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:

As noted earlier most the highways 90 but there are areas which 

lower speed limits are posted. If you choose to ignore them keep

your eyes open and watch for cameras. If not you could get a ticket in the mail....at least you’ll be able to see what you look like when driving...

Have you noticed those pesky 7/11 plastic bags can even stick to the rear No Plate these days. Must be the Acid Rain n Spray.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:18 PM, The Names Bond said:

I am a retired Police Officer from the UK so I have an interest in this.

As a result of inquiries made !!!!!!! I have found the following for cars and Pick ups.

In a town center 50km per hour similar to UK.

I was informed recently that the dual/3 carriageway Sukhumvit road which runs through Pattaya the speed limit is 80 km per hour. No signs to tell you that. There are speed cameras there and traffic light cameras there. So be careful out there.

On a main road outside the town 90 km per hour. Single or dual carriageway.

On the Motorway 120KM per hour. 

If there is an electronic sign advising you to drive slower then obviously do so. It is common sense. Same as in the UK sometimes the Control Room operator forgets to switch off the electronic speed indicator. Remember Speed KILLS and driving that bit faster will only get you there a few minutes earlier. Life is short and precious do not take unnecessary risks to arrive a few minutes earlier.

A few minutes early arrival, what would you do with the time?

I think the consensus seems to be here that Motorways are 120kph ( what one makes about the 90 signs on the route 7 I am not sure maybe travel at 90-100?). Other roads 90kph seems to be the view to prevail if we are to abide by the law although I expect we would settle for 100, Thais though see it differently you can guarantee as they cant drive but unfortunately do!

On 11/3/2018 at 9:22 AM, topt said:

I don't think there are normally any tolerances. There have been reports on here of people getting tickets in the post for 123kph (from memory) in a 120 limited area.

On the 7 I think you are ok up to 120 until they get round to adding lots more cameras but the flashing 90 signs followed in some places very closely by 120 sign make it very confusing. 

Last year, Mrs T was driving back from Bangkok, on the 24, shortly after it leaves the 2. Not giving a care on the open, uncrowded road ... she got a letter a while later saying she had driven 121 kph in a 120 zone. They don't do that anywhere else that I know: there would be far too many challenges from drivers who say they were at or below the speed limit so test your speed gun or camera. Alternatively, Toyota etc gets it in the neck because your Speedo turns out to be inaccurate.

17 hours ago, todlad said:

Last year, Mrs T was driving back from Bangkok, on the 24, shortly after it leaves the 2. Not giving a care on the open, uncrowded road ... she got a letter a while later saying she had driven 121 kph in a 120 zone. They don't do that anywhere else that I know: there would be far too many challenges from drivers who say they were at or below the speed limit so test your speed gun or camera. Alternatively, Toyota etc gets it in the neck because your Speedo turns out to be inaccurate.

In the UK they usually accept that speedos can be inaccurate by up to 10%, on motorways they usually don't bother unless you are doing more 80 mph ( speed limit 70 mph).

7 hours ago, nong38 said:

In the UK they usually accept that speedos can be inaccurate by up to 10%, on motorways they usually don't bother unless you are doing more 80 mph ( speed limit 70 mph).

Exactly! I read a long time ago that Mr Plod, UK, is forgiving as he applies this formula to assess excessive speed: Speed limit +10%*Speed Limit +3 or Speed Limit*1.1+3 if you prefer.

I don't remember when and where I read that and I don't know if it's true but I agree with you in being certain that they would not charge me with going 1 mph over the speed limit!

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 4:14 PM, kenk24 said:

until you get a ticket in the mail...

yes, my wife got two speeding ticket in one month  in the mail,she told my that ok nobody pay...i reply you see when you have to get your new registration! now we have camera everywhere and she know where they are, when she slow down i know there is a camera! the thai way!