Pattaya Condo and Thai Girlfriend

2 hours ago, ehs818 said:

Dude, this girl is making sure she gets paid in a big way. And don't put it past her or another Thai person to change the name on the land title document (Chanote) to be solely hers. This is Thailand my friend. NOTHING is as it appears. There is no sincerity, there is little justice, and there is always a big cost for the farang. I like the suggestion that you have a lawyer draw up a document giving her half in 8-10 years, if you are both still together. But something tells me that you'll end up apart from her soon enough so that will never happen. I've been here 16 years and seen and heard a lot. And don't rely to me saying something like, "Yeah, BUT MY GIRL IS DIFFERENT". They are not! You've been warned! And forewarned is forearmed!

well, actually concerning the subject of thai partners,   forewarned has virtually NO effect other than to

make the recipient of said advice indignant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Maybe you could tell her that it will be / could be a step by step arrangement:

- You buy, your name only on the chanut.

- Tell her that you respect your family at home and if you die they must receive some benefit.

- Tell her that at a later time you will decide what % of ownership goes to your family at home

and what % might go to her.

- Tell her the above is not negotiable and refuse to discuss it further. If she votes with her feet

there's a lesson for you.

Ooops, better to be carefull about an 'last will' if you intent to live a bit longer ????????????

• Like 1

First,you can't have 50/50 with a thai person in any partnership , and by law and in order to have a partnership with thai, thai person must own 51% at least of the partnership. She will have 51% and you will have 49%,and  it will be under thai quota  (meaning  you can sell to thai only ).Are you willing to give her 51% and give her the Vito power? Good luck 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ehs818 said:

Dude, this girl is making sure she gets paid in a big way. And don't put it past her or another Thai person to change the name on the land title document (Chanote) to be solely hers. This is Thailand my friend. NOTHING is as it appears. There is no sincerity, there is little justice, and there is always a big cost for the farang. I like the suggestion that you have a lawyer draw up a document giving her half in 8-10 years, if you are both still together. But something tells me that you'll end up apart from her soon enough so that will never happen. I've been here 16 years and seen and heard a lot. And don't rely to me saying something like, "Yeah, BUT MY GIRL IS DIFFERENT". They are not! You've been warned! And forewarned is forearmed!

Excellent and realistic advice. The fact that she is making such demands at this stage of the relationship is a clear indication of her criminal intentions. The idea in principle of signing over a % on the basis she is still with you in 9 or 10 years is prudent BUT be aware Thai lawyers are 'perhaps' the most corrupt on the Plannet and more than capable and willing to forge signatures.

• Thanks 1

If you buy a condo buy it under your name. Do not even consider sharing a large chunk of your hard earned money with your girlfriend, even if it is in bricks & mortar. It's a very fragile existence here for "farangs", because we have no rights whatsoever, we don't really own anything & the laws here certainly will not protect you. Any dispute or court case will take years to resolve, without a satisfactory conclusion, plus you will be paying a lawyer a large sum of money too! Anyway you look at it you will be on a hiding to nothing financially believe me ..... fact. 

History repeats itself daily here & farangs are being duped all the time. Too many farangs leave their brains at the airport .... fact. My advice to you as a newbie is to go to a bookstore & purchase a book about Thai relationships with foreigners ....... it's all factual, so don't just put it down after reading a few pages thinking it's complete & utter rubbish ...... I can assure you 99% of it is true. Good luck.  

Edited by Daveyh
  • Like 2

This isn't complicated.

Absolutely 100 percent DO NOT put her name on the condo! 

Thai condo market is split into foreign owned and Thai owned units.

You want a foreign owned unit.

Foreigners that buy from the Thai owned allotment must set up fake companies to make that work. That's legally questionable and a pain in the arse. 

Figure out another way to offer her financial security if indeed you want to do that.

Yes, you can put the condo in a will.

Don't buy on a high floor in that case.

Have fun!

If she drops you over the condo thing, she's shown her colors. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Maybe you could tell her that it will be / could be a step by step arrangement:

- You buy, your name only on the chanut.

- Tell her that you respect your family at home and if you die they must receive some benefit.

- Tell her that at a later time you will decide what % of ownership goes to your family at home

and what % might go to her.

- Tell her the above is not negotiable and refuse to discuss it further. If she votes with her feet

there's a lesson for you.

Just don't tell her its hers on your death, unless you buy a condo on the ground floor or learnt how to fly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

Do Thai girls really think its that easy to get 50% of a home, or is it she really has little to no respect for the OP.

Another opportunist at work it seems.

For some with the amount of desperate foreigners around it is that easy,,,,,,,,I crossed paths with one last year that had got over 3 million bht and a 2 year old ford ranger of a dopey ferang,,,????????????????????????these guys make it so tuff for the rest of us????????

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Emster23 said:

"...my Thai girlfriend insists she wants to have 50% ownership of the condo so that she has something of a security."

Stop. Think. Would you do this in home country? I don't know how to put this gently.... are you insane? Once she had that half, what happens when "things don't work out"? You can't sell it without her okay on the deal. She'd have you over a barrel of your own making.

Do not do this!!!!!!!!!!!

?????  in the UK girlfriend and boyfriend often purchase property together, work out their incomes - what they can afford and go into it together, if it doesnt work out the property is halved.  now - the OP and his girlfriend are embarking on a life together so  per se  sharing is caring

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

How long have you known your GF? Anything less than 7-8 years, I would tell her it's not going to happen.

Pattaya is not a place where I would buy a condo. Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are better value.

He not interested where you would buy, he wants to live in Pattaya with his girlfriend.

There are far better places in Thailand to buy and they are not Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai

Now the girlfriend, would you give your girlfriend back home 50% of a property you bought??????

Let her know your culture and to respect your culture. You’ve been brought up not to give your hard earned money away willy nilly.

It’s all about the 3 L’s, location, location, location. I have bought a few properties in Pattaya, I’m still living in the same housing estate I bought back in 2003. I’ve seen a lot of cheap stuff which is difficult to sell when the time comes. Best thing to do is go and annoy the agents, ask questions. I personally like the south Pattaya / Jomtien areas

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cookieqw said:

in the UK girlfriend and boyfriend often purchase property together ........ if it doesnt work out the property is halved.

Usually, she calls the police, says 'he hit me', and you're out.

If she has a kid, it's hers 100% (no need to call the police), and you still get to repay the loan, and the next 19 years for the kid.

I guess some are halved, but it isn't something I've seen happen, all my mates lost the home 100%.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, VYCM said:

He not interested where you would buy, he wants to live in Pattaya with his girlfriend.

There are far better places in Thailand to buy and they are not Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai

Now the girlfriend, would you give your girlfriend back home 50% of a property you bought??????

Let her know your culture and to respect your culture. You’ve been brought up not to give your hard earned money away willy nilly.

It’s all about the 3 L’s, location, location, location. I have bought a few properties in Pattaya, I’m still living in the same housing estate I bought back in 2003. I’ve seen a lot of cheap stuff which is difficult to sell when the time comes. Best thing to do is go and annoy the agents, ask questions. I personally like the south Pattaya / Jomtien areas

That is the biggest mistake people make, i.e. listen to real estate spill, the 3L's, location, location location.

It's highest and best use, not location, location, location, although being in a neighbourhood within close proximity of shops and infrastructure can add value when reselling, but highest and best use walks all over any location, i.e. would I want to live in a condo with water views or a house owned under a copnay structure in Thailand which is zoned for future condo's if amalgamated with the adjoining site/s, the value speaks for itself, no doubt there would be lots of change left after the sale of the site to buy a few condo's with water views, if that's what you prefer, or reinvest it into another project that you can live in and make much more money over the 3L's. 

• Like 1

This very issue years ago led to the breakup of an acquaintance and his GF. She was a nurse too. She wanted her name on the place. He told her it was his first home purchase and wanted to go it alone. Things went downhill after that. :vampire: 

1 hour ago, cookieqw said:

?????  in the UK girlfriend and boyfriend often purchase property together, work out their incomes - what they can afford and go into it together, if it doesnt work out the property is halved.  now - the OP and his girlfriend are embarking on a life together so  per se  sharing is caring

The difference is that the UK people contribute together towards the mortgage payment.

How much the Thai girlfriend gonna contribute?

Answers on a postcard

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rodpav said:

We do realize the question is about the market but the main thing that everyone is seeing is that snippet of your girlfriend wanting 50%, some very good insight in the reply's regarding your girlfriend take that advice.

if anyone ever takes that advice i'll eat my somtam