Unwanted foreigners -or simply underfunded?

Scouse123

On 11/4/2018 at 7:00 PM, zzaa09 said:

I envision a Thailand that will be ridden of 98% Farang. 

Paradise.

You might envision that but if 98% of the foreigners were to leave, the Thai economy would tank.  It might be entertaining for the haters to dream about this exodus but the fun will be short lived.

On 11/4/2018 at 7:00 PM, zzaa09 said:

I envision a Thailand that will be ridden of 98% Farang. 

Paradise.

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

You might envision that but if 98% of the foreigners were to leave, the Thai economy would tank.  It might be entertaining for the haters to dream about this exodus but the fun will be short lived.

If all the foreign expats left Thailand, it would hardly cause a ripple in the economy.  However, the remark is on the back of embassies not issuing income letters.  Those that are on extensions of stay based on income is a tiny tiny proportion of expats here and if all of them were to leave, it wouldn't even be noticed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

If all the foreign expats left Thailand, it would hardly cause a ripple in the economy.  However, the remark is on the back of embassies not issuing income letters.  Those that are on extensions of stay based on income is a tiny tiny proportion of expats here and if all of them were to leave, it wouldn't even be noticed.  

True.

Yet, many are too unencumbered or dense to comprehend that they're not that special nor have any real effect on society or economic domino. Superiority fantasy worlds need not apply.

Guarantee that if Farang - residents and tourists - were to cease to exist, in a greater percentage, tomorrow.....any ripple would be nominal and Thailand would get on quite nicely. A better presence.

21 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

I doubt if the expats living in Thailand would make much of a dent on the Thai economy. If the falangs living here contibuted so much financially there would be a bigger push to attract more.

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I doubt if the expats living in Thailand would make much of a dent on the Thai economy. If the falangs living here contibuted so much financially there would be a bigger push to attract more.

If Thai Immigration goes ahead with requiring people who would like to retire in Thailand, to deposit 800,000 baht in a Thai bank just to get a one year visa with all the nonsense that goes along with it, no one in their right mind will bite on that one.  By this time next year, there will be no one complaining about CM Immigration being crowded.  They will be wondering where everyone went.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

If Thai Immigration goes ahead with requiring people who would like to retire in Thailand, to deposit 800,000 baht in a Thai bank just to get a one year visa with all the nonsense that goes along with it, no one in their right mind will bite on that one.  By this time next year, there will be no one complaining about CM Immigration being crowded.  They will be wondering where everyone went.

There is no change in 800K requirements. A TV survey indicated a little over 50% uses 800K method. Out of 50%, if 10% leave, that will be 5% of the total. Bottom line 99% is not leaving Thailand

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 6:27 PM, EVENKEEL said:

For those with a house in Wife's name in Thailand, it would be interesting to know how many wives would actually sell the house to fund her underfunded husband being able to have 400K or 800K in case of a GF. If I were a betting man I'd say not many if at all.

My wife offered to put up a very small holding of her land to pay for the 400K if It was needed. She also last year after a housing deal went through, paid for my health insurance. A few years ago, she needed 700K to pay off part of some sub-contracting project on some land she had and I gave her the money short term to clinch the deal as other money was elsewhere. She made good money on the deal and gave me 800K back - 100K as interest for me.

On 11/6/2018 at 10:19 PM, Psychic said:

I have not the slightest doubt that if TI suddenly decided I needed a couple of million baht in the bank that my wife would be ready in a second to sell the property to keep me in the country.

(who we would sell it to is a harder question).

Yes, we would have the same problem. We have a nice place in a good spot on a major road but who really has the money to give us what we want if we needed to sell.

ent down to the local beach today. I know it is early in high season, but it was empty.

Around here, mostly Scandinavians. People who have been coming here for years, if not decades.

They told me every year there are fewer of the old ones because if sickness and death and no " new ones" coming.

I think this is an underestimated factor.

Westerners tend to go where other westerners go.

Many of my friends are not following me over here now. In fact, they ask me and my wife to either travel to Vietnam or other areas. My family has not been here for two years as they find it slow now and have asked for next trip to be a bit more lively.

On 11/4/2018 at 4:34 PM, worgeordie said:

The shit will hit the really hit the fan,if the Government decides

to uplift the requirements as regards having money in the bank,

to say 1 Million married,1.5 Retired (I have never understood how

if your married,wife to look after,maybe kids) its 400,00,but if

single and retired its 800,000 THB, more of that Thai logic.

getting back to when /if they lift the requirements,another 20 % ?

packing their bags,booking flights ?, leaving on a jet plane.

regards worgeordie

Most of us have a home, wives with businesses and other forms of income coming in. We have based our life now to be here and in a sense, have not retired. We may not work but our wives do and some of them, earn good money.

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

I think you'll find that there are many other countries where the financial requirements to retire are higher than Thailand!

Sure there might be a few farangs who burden Thai society but I think the overall net is a massive gain for Thailand.

They're going to do what they're going to do.

But the direction they seem to be heading in seems economically unsound for Thailand in the long term.

If I need to, I'll leave. The wife will sell the property, we'll move to Laos where she doesn't have language issues and is actually closer to family.

And I'll spend all those unwelcome dollars there.

Wish I didn't have to even consider this option.

But an unwelcome guest is an unwelcome guest.

If I need to leave, I really do not know where to go. Always back to Australia but I think not. I most likely could sell up here and move to a neighboring area and like you, spend those unwelcome dollars somewhere else. I like you, wish it does not come to this ever but it if does (say they want me to season 1.5 million a year), I most likely would have to go until. I have a great deal of money coming to me in the future but why should I spend it in a country if they do not treat my wife and I like the good people we are?

To me, it is very crazy...

I certainly do not want to be unwelcome but at times it does feel that way. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I think you'll find that there are many other countries where the financial requirements to retire are higher than Thailand!

Of those nations with formal retirement visa programs (most don't), Thailand's level is fairly average. Some much more and some much less. An example of a very low level requirement is Nicaragua (but you don't want to move there now) and a very high level requirement is Australia (you probably can't afford it). 

Edited by Jingthing

On 11/18/2018 at 1:26 PM, thequietman said:

My point is that I need to leave and then apply for a new visa to support my step son, although if the wife popped her cloggs, I would probably pick a different country.

Just change the reason for extension of stay,

35 minutes ago, HHTel said:

And there are loads where all you need is the air ticket.

A pension of 10kbht a month should be enough to stay here, it's more than most of the locals earn, and it's imported $$$$s so worth more to the country as a whole.

Edited by BritManToo

OP makes some good points: even the well heeled expat is finding himself increasingly unwelcome. From an economic viewpoint, most of us are left scratching our heads as it's pure profit for Thailand.  So you're left thinking that retirees don't conform to the acceptable standard set; kindly, old dodderers much in the Santa Claus mould.

For UK expats, you'd think Philippines would be an obvious alternative, particularly as the UK pension is uprated yearly.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

An example of a very low level requirement is Nicaragua (but you don't want to move there now) and a very high level requirement is Australia

Cost Rica, Panama, Ecuador? How are these countries. Retirement visa seems to be affordable. 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And there are loads where all you need is the air ticket.

A pension of 10kbht a month should be enough to stay here, it's more than most of the locals earn, and it's imported $$$$s so worth more to the country as a whole.

The average Thai wages are currently just over 14,000 per month.  Of course there are as many below that as there are above.

But you can retire 'comfortably' (how else would you want to retire) on a little over 300 baht a day.  Food, drink, utilities, accommodation, etc etc. not forgetting medical expenses!!

44 minutes ago, HHTel said:

The average Thai wages are currently just over 14,000 per month.  Of course there are as many below that as there are above.

But you can retire 'comfortably' (how else would you want to retire) on a little over 300 baht a day.  Food, drink, utilities, accommodation, etc etc. not forgetting medical expenses!!

Ummmm .... retire comfortably on a little over 300 THB a day in Thailand?

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Who would want to?

I spent three months in the UK this summer and I spent an average of £5 per day on food that I prepared myself, £5 is statistically how much a retiree spends per day on food so I wanted to see if it was dooable. Easy peasy is the answer but that's around 200 baht and didn't include any other daily expenditure.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HHTel said:

Not true, as they don't often use the 'Median' as an average, they use the 'Mean' as an average.

Probably 80+% of wage earners are below the 'average' of 14,000bht.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

300 baht a day may be possible but it's a pretty rare westerner who would actually be able to exist at that level

It's absolutely easy to feed yourself on less than 200bht/day. It's girls and booze (and the resulting kids) that push my daily spending up.

2 Tesco pork steaks, 350gm @ 65bht, 2 Tesco chicken breasts, 350gm @ 40bbt. That's 4 meals (more if I make curry or stew) for just over 100bht.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

But 300b a day including medical expenses???? Wow!

Not all posters are among the chronically ill, my only medical expenses in the last year were a packet of antibiotics ($1) and 100 paracetamol ($1) both from Makro. Although the forthcoming cannabis bonanza may push me into that category.

• Haha 1