Surprised to see counter staff handling meat with bare hands at Big C Extra.

giddyup

"Surprised to see counter staff handling meat with bare hands at Big C Extra."It SOP.  Not sure why you're surprised.  You must be young (or a hell of a lot younger than me).  Butchers in my time always handled meat with bare hands.  The 'gotta wear gloves' is a rather recent development even in the West. 

3 minutes ago, connda said:

"Surprised to see counter staff handling meat with bare hands at Big C Extra."It SOP.  Not sure why you're surprised.  You must be young (or a hell of a lot younger than me).  Butchers in my time always handled meat with bare hands.  The 'gotta wear gloves' is a rather recent development even in the West.

A lot of debate about this and plastic cutting boards as opposed to wood.  Washing hands frequently might be better than gloves worn for more than one order.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

You can order dry aged prime beef in Thailand but it is never in a "supermarket."  It is never sold in anything but primal cuts anyway (not restaurant quality).  I've tried some from mail order places here.  At your own risk.  Choice beef sure no problem.  Nothing above choice is ever sold in a normal supermarket. 

I saw 10,000 baht/kg Kobe beef for sale at Foodland (Pattaya), in a frozen pack. Tops at Central Festival has quite a selection of very expensive imported beef. It's harder to find top quality beef in Australia than it is here because all the best meat is reserved for the export market.

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

I saw 10,000 baht/kg Kobe beef for sale at Foodland (Pattaya), in a frozen pack. Tops at Central Festival has quite a selection of very expensive imported beef. It's harder to find top quality beef in Australia than it is here because all the best meat is reserved for the export market.

They have fabulous looking Wagyu at the Japanese market at Iconsiam

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Not in the USA I agree I know nothing about it at all other than the very kind insight that you gave us all just now. But here in Pattaya yes I do since the wife and her friend and her family prior to that used to run a restaurant. Many times I have been seen at 3 or 4am in the Naklua market helping her along with many other businesses buy the days ingredients.

The restaurants I knew about in Pattaya bought their meat at the Sattahip night market.  But good restaurants don't buy there.  Cooler at night and of course one has to be ready for mornings business.  Long ago restaurants didn't have refrigeration and only bought enough for the day and kept the stuff in the middle of the kitchen floor.  I think a lot more people got sick.  Many Chinese grannies that I knew would never eat anything unless they had seen it living.  Good motto in the tropics.  

On 11/18/2018 at 5:14 PM, giddyup said:

If you are buying stuff past it's use by that's on special, perhaps, but I buy meat from the import counter that I either freeze for later or keep at least a couple of days in the fridge before cooking, never a problem. You only need to sniff it to tell if it's a bit off.

Yes, I buy meat about once a month, mostly from Big C extra. Freeze most of it and keep some in the refrigerator for a day or two. Never had a problem. Pretty sure I've seen counter staff using gloves. Bought some a few days ago and definitely the counter lady used tongs to handle (or tongle) the meat. Much of what I buy is already packaged.

These butchers from farangland seem to be very, literally, hands-on. The first one seems to be verging on fondling the meat.

butchers_2832989b.jpg.3d3b496d47f16f8a731074abf5023a58.jpg

1486370519_butcher2.jpg.d2636beda8023c538273ddce03e48776.jpg

14 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I never knew that foreigners could work at Big C. Thought it was a job only Thais could do?

Big-C Extra has had a French baker since the old Carrefour days. I spoke with him last week.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

I've bought beef at Big-C Extra, aged Australian steak, and kept it in the fridge for over a week. There's really no need to be so paranoid about beef. Chicken and pork are a different matter though. If you like rare meat and it's Thai beef, freeze it first to avoid tapeworms.

Not to be snarky, your advice amounts to common sense, as in WHO DOESN'T do that. That said chicken, fish, and shellfish, may look ultra fresh but cook it, freeze it whatever, just do not keep it in fridge. BTW 80 per cent chance all will be well but BIG C goes to the edge of the toss date and that for a number of products.  I'm not the only one this has happened to BTW! 

Are we done now

On 11/18/2018 at 5:04 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

But I am also pretty sure your butcher back home will wash his hands thoroughly i.e. after he was at the toilet.

I wouldn't bet on that here.

My missus always complain about mall or hotel food not as tasty as those cooked at rustic countryside or roadside. I do not have the heart to tell her the reason could be the tons of dust/dirt kicked up by passing vehicles.... your comment on the cook’s hygiene may even be a valid cause too. 

Edited by Ctkong

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

I worked for years in a steakhouse and we used a meatfork on the grills....

I also have been a waiter in a large chain restaurant...one day a customer gave me her steak back and said it wasn't tender...i gave it to the chef, he slammed it hard on the edge of the workbench ,a few times, they played soccer with it for a minute...back on the grill for a min and i had to bring it back to the guest.

Rule number one I had learnt through the years and YouTube watching. 

NEVER COMPLAIN AND SEND BACK YOUR DISH because I had heard anecdotes of the fate of the dish... just hunker down and eat it even if it is sub par. 

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

Not to be snarky, your advice amounts to common sense, as in WHO DOESN'T do that. That said chicken, fish, and shellfish, may look ultra fresh but cook it, freeze it whatever, just do not keep it in fridge. BTW 80 per cent chance all will be well but BIG C goes to the edge of the toss date and that for a number of products.  I'm not the only one this has happened to BTW! 

Are we done now

Who doesn't do what? Freeze meat to kill tapeworm larvae in beef?... or store beef for a week in the fridge?

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Madam Moon is quite happy to shop for meat on the local market or even off the back of a pick up when the 'mobile butcher' comes around.

No gloves, no chillers, plenty of flies around. I've been downing her excellent cooking for five years now and never had a gastronomic issue.

Thai cooking techniques will cook the germs to death.... but not those western dishes where you use raw eggs, undercooked meat dishes. What the cooking doesn’t kill is completed by the loads of spices and chilies .

3 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Thai cooking techniques will cook the germs to death.... but not those western dishes where you use raw eggs, undercooked meat dishes. What the cooking doesn’t kill is completed by the loads of spices and chilies .

I had cheesecake and green tea ice cream at a well known Japanese restaurant (chain) was on toilet for 4 hours.  Good diet lost 2 kg.  Might have been the chicken but I think the cheesecake because the chicken was cooked in a wok.

Edited by marcusarelus

Just now, tropo said:

ho doesn't do what? Freeze meat to kill tapeworm larvae in beef?... or store beef for a week in the fridge?

Ok tropo

Your two points are about 1) aged Aussie meat and 2) Thai beef. So no you really have nothing to contribute to what I posted about do you?! ????

44 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Restaurant chains  = processed crap.

Hotel buffets = salmonella keeping warm.

Food courts  = pre cooked food covered in flies.

Eat real food that is cooked fresh and I haven't had a problem in over 20 years.

This cheesecake wasn't in T21 or some other shopping centre by any chance? A few posts earlier in the thread you were proclaiming all these restaurants have the best ingredients!!

Not Terminal 21 but it was in a shopping center. 

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Tiny is relative. Depends on what species of Mollusca were are talking about ????

Do you think you could contribute something other than mention of your genitals? It wasn't particularly funny first time around.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Do you think you could contribute something other than mention of your genitals? It wasn't particularly funny first time around.

Well you must have a more sophisticated sense of humour than the rest of us. Plus Im not here to cater to you, am I.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Well you must have a more sophisticated sense of humour than the rest of us. Plus Im not here to cater to you, am I.

You're not here to hijack the thread either, which seems to be a pattern of yours in other posts. A comedian you're not.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You're not here to hijack the thread either, which seems to be a pattern of yours in other posts. A comedian you're not.

Hey glad you follow me around ????

Its a serious world out there, remember, when life gives you lemons, make that sour puckered face!????????????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ctkong said:

I've been using raw eggs to make my mayonnaise for years and have had no stomach problems. In my opinion developed nations have become so prissy with hygiene that their populations have lost their immune systems. When I was a kid we had no electricity to refrigerate anything. Flies buzzed around the flypaper hanging from the ceiling. Plastic was not invented so all food was handled with bare hands and I've survived. I even got my driving licence renewed so I can wreak havoc on the roads till I'm ninety. This will be regarded as normal driving here. ☺️

54 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I've been using raw eggs to make my mayonnaise for years and have had no stomach problems. In my opinion developed nations have become so prissy with hygiene that their populations have lost their immune systems. When I was a kid we had no electricity to refrigerate anything. Flies buzzed around the flypaper hanging from the ceiling. Plastic was not invented so all food was handled with bare hands and I've survived. I even got my driving licence renewed so I can wreak havoc on the roads till I'm ninety. This will be regarded as normal driving here. ☺️

We used to wrap sarnies in newspaper.

Couple years ago I was in the toilet at Big C Sth Pattaya, in the mirror I saw a Thai in Big C uniform, one of the food handlers wearing hat & apron, come out of the cubicle after having a dump and he walked right out of there, didn't come over to the sink to wash hands. 

18 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I never knew that foreigners could work at Big C. Thought it was a job only Thais could do?

They are specially trained for the job , when Carrefour was owned by the French they sent over 2-3 of their own staff , a baker , a butcher etc. 

Big C just carried on with the tradition. 

2 hours ago, TSF said:

Couple years ago I was in the toilet at Big C Sth Pattaya, in the mirror I saw a Thai in Big C uniform, one of the food handlers wearing hat & apron, come out of the cubicle after having a dump and he walked right out of there, didn't come over to the sink to wash hands. 

1. India
  2. China
  3. Mexico
  4. France
  5. The United States
  6. Vietnam
  7. Brazil
  8. The Dominican Republic
  9. Turkey
  10. Spain

https://www.foodonline.com/doc/the-top-countries-guilty-of-food-safety-violations-0001

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:
  1. India
  2. China
  3. Mexico
  4. France
  5. The United States
  6. Vietnam
  7. Brazil
  8. The Dominican Republic
  9. Turkey
  10. Spain

https://www.foodonline.com/doc/the-top-countries-guilty-of-food-safety-violations-0001

Indian Food in the United States. Did that once and barely made the 15 minute ride home.