Alert over use of amoxicillin in orange orchards

webfact

Alert over use of amoxicillin in orange orchards

By The Nation

281d62471b64fceb860405a86bbce472-sld.jpe

Cr Home of Border Pharmacist

PUBLIC HEALTH Ministry officials have been instructed to check on pharmacies and antibiotics manufacturers that may have distributed amoxicillin for farms – reportedly used widely in northern and central orange orchards – as it could lead to drug resistance or even fatal allergies in humans as well as contaminating the environment.

A recent report highlighted the apparent long-standing use of amoxicillin injection into orange trees three to four times a year, to treat Citrus greening disease – caused by a bacteria spread by psyllid insects – and said that orange farmers did not realise the danger of the practice. Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr Sukhum Kanchanapimai said on Friday that the abuse must be stopped.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Department of Medical Sciences, along with respective health offices have begun to investigate in the jurisdictions involved.

103a7b93a55d18205053cb846397a4e6.jpeg

FDA deputy secretary-general Dr Surachoke Tangwiwat said his agency had required respective provincial health offices to check on orange orchards for the distribution of amoxicillin to orange farmers and ensure that the sale of antibiotics is made only at pharmacies with pharmacists.

The agency also warned antibiotics manufacturers to distribute antibiotics to pharmacies and not directly to farmers or they will face legal actions.

Pharmacist Supanai Prasertsuk, coordinator for the pharmacists’ follow-up group for borderland medicine issues under the Drug System Monitoring and Development Centre, said his members had identified the issue of antibiotic use in fruit and vegetable farming in the North. 

ec373b8f032235fefe7e9d427117c791.png

This misuse of amoxicillin – which is among the most-used antibiotics to treat infections in humans and must be prescribed by pharmacists – can lead to environmental contamination, especially at water sources.

The consumers’ secondary exposure to such medicine can lead to serious or even fatal reactions among those allergic to antibiotics, and the farmers’ direct exposure to such medicine that can lead to allergic reactions, Supanai said.

He said that farms would most likely not use antibiotic capsules but a chemical powder format, which can cause it to scatter. Although there was no research to confirm antibiotic contamination from the use in orange orchards, he said the sensible precaution was to stop such use. 

The Public Health Ministry should check farmers’ physical conditions as well as samples from soil and water to study for a contamination, while farmers should shift to organic farming guidelines, Supanai said.

Supanai also urged the authority to check on the sale of chemicals (used in making amoxicillin) to farmers as such substances were also considered dangerous medicines. The sale of the drug by non-pharmacists violated the law so the sellers and manufacturers could be held accountable. 

4a5a20b456b6ffbeabe8498fef6a79c4.jpeg

Supanai advised those allergic to amoxicillin to avoid consumption while those without allergies should refrain from consuming a large amount and to leave a seven-day gap between consumption.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30358806

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-19
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

A recent report highlighted the apparent long-standing use of amoxicillin injection into orange trees three to four times a year, to treat Citrus greening disease –

Pharmacist Supanai Prasertsuk said: Although there was no research to confirm antibiotic contamination from the use in orange orchards, he said the sensible precaution was to stop such use. 

Looks like my mental capacity is incompatible to understand the Thai interpretation of precaution. I learned it's too late for precaution after the kid drowned in the well. But maybe there is a Thai word for post-caution.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.
  • Like 1

It's not even mentioned in this report that Amoxicillin is readily and cheaply available from farm supplies stores in powder form - not for injection, but as a foliar spray to stop the spread of the canker virus. This is not isolated, but common practice. I was shocked some years ago to discover this was being done as the standard treatment to halt a canker outbreak on my wife's tangerine (Thai orange) farm.

• Thanks 1

This practice is so alarming and sick but just the tip of the iceberg.
God knows what else is in our daily food here.
I am sure those farmers never eat anything of their own produce.
One should sue the relevant authorities for doing nothing.
The only news about pesticide residues you hear from some private organisation called THAI-PAN who are doing the work that actually is the job of several government authorities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

I am concerned about this as the only thing I am allergic to is - amoxycillin. Better give up eating anything I suppose.

the Makro has many fresh products from Australia, also oranges. Don't know if they have them now but they are better than the same ones from china.

Also they sell a lot of fresh vegetables from the royal project, i assume those are safe but not sure.

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

I am concerned about this as the only thing I am allergic to is - amoxycillin. Better give up eating anything I suppose.

Probably. I'm surprised they don't offer a McMoxy at McD, people here pop them like candy for any small papercut. Once a bug gains immunity because of the overuse it'll wipe the population clean in a few days.

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Does this work?

I thought there was no way to stop citrus greening disease.

It does not cure citrus greening, but helps the tree to live longer and be more productive.

Spraying trees with antibiotics is a common practice in many countries, not just Thailand.  Also used in Florida in the past, but USDA looking into a ban.

Not sure, but I reckon use of antibiotics in species closer to humans (pigs) causes a greater risk of promoting antibiotic resistance than spraying trees?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree and the USA are the main offenders with around 80% of all antibiotic, antiviral and anti fungal drugs produced there being used in animal feedstock.

And this from the Council for Agricultural Science and Technology (USA)…….

Antibiotics have been used in animal feed for about 50 years ever since the discovery not only as an anti-microbial agent, but also as a growth-promoting agent and improvement in performance. Tetracyclines, penicillin, streptomycin and bactrican soon began to be common additives in feed for livestock and poultry. Currently, the following antibiotics are used in livestock and poultry feed: chlortetracycline, procaine penicillin, oxytetracycline, tylosin, bacitracin, neomycin sulfate, streptomycin, erythromycin, linomycin, oleandomycin, virginamycin, and bambermycins. In addition to these antibiotics, which are of microbial origin, there are other chemically synthesized antimicrobial agents that are also sometimes used in animal feeds. These include three major classes of compounds: arsenical, nito-furan, and sulfa compounds. Arsenical compounds include arsanilic acid, 3-nitro-4-hydroxy phenylarsonic acid, and sodium arsanilate; nitro-furan compounds include furazolidone and nitro-furazone; sulfamethazine, sulfathiazole, and sulfaquinoxaline. Other chemicals are also used as antiprotozoal agents to prevent coccidiosis and histomaniasis in chickens and turkeys”.

And we wonder why we have a problems fighting some bacteria at the moment...……..

In the EU the use of antibiotics as growth promoter and given as a prophylaxis is not allowed anymore.
There must be a prescription from a registered veterinarian and only in case of a disease in the flock.
However, in many cases of the occurrence of dead birds there is an antibiotic added to the drinking water to prevent the whole flock from being infected.
Welcome to the mass production of cheap meat.
  • Thanks 1