Borrow 800'000B for yearly Extension ?

I`ve already been asked by some expats I know if I could lend them 800000 baht.

No way. If from the goodness of one`s heart or a person is dumb enough to lend that amount of money, if immigration ask for proof of sources of that money and the friend drops the lender in it by disclosing who lent the money, the lenders could be in trouble themselves.

There are soon going to be those desperate to borrow money for their yearly extensions and there will be loan sharks taking advantage of the situation. Many agencies are going to be under scuteney and the pull strings for 20000 baht option will also soon be gone.

If the money, 800k is put inside a locked deposit account for 3 months , I really don't see the problem here. You can even ask for online access so you can check he is not cheating you. Its only 3 months.
  • Like 1

Well, how does your friend make ends meet currently?   Since he owns property in Thailand I am going to assume he is in Thailand.   Does he not now generate 65,000 baht per month?  If he does than it seems like it won't be a problem to show that, in whatever way the Thais end up wanting the proof to entail.  If he doesn't earn 65000 per month than he would not qualify and should not qualify.  And if one were borrowing 800,000 baht, that to me would NOT meet the requirements.  that 800,000 is NOT an asset, it is a debt, and should not be allowed to count.  Now in the short term I can imagine some people may try or may want to resort to such things, as they wait for some big sale, or some big annuity or something like that.  But money isn't free.

On 11/20/2018 at 4:11 PM, bkk6060 said:

Maybe.

But, can anyone site a case of a Foreigner who used them for a retirement visa, then the agent gets busted?

Not quite the same but a good few years ago in Pattaya somebody was doing very dodgy visas. He got a few people visa stamps from a neighbouring state without the  relevant exit and entry stamps. Do not remember the full details but they were locked up for a while. 

5 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

what if i take the 800K and ran out of thailand and never come back?

You can always buy a sim card and ask him to register it to his name , then connect it to the bank account so you will get text message if there is any transfers going on. Any activity and you'll get the message. You can also ask him to lock the account so the bank will refuse any activity for 3 months.  

15 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

Agreed, but it is only legal if they do not accept any inducement, financial or otherwise , to do so.

But you have no proof that they did (wink wink, they did of course but where is the proof? May be they approved based on their friendship with the agent). May be you can also do the same if you are a friend of a senior immigration officer personally. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bubba said:

Do they? Has anyone ever heard of an immigration waiving the seasoning requirement?

i am sure nobody heard about an immigration officer waving the seasoning requirement. why would they? they are not charity. they are looking for people with money, like in any country around this globe, and will do to you all kinds of favours, incl. therapy, for the right amounts.

2 hours ago, See Will said:

15 month in total = 1 year visa and the 3 month tourist upfront.. 

The "upfront" is a Non-O single-entry 90-day stamp, which is necessary to start the process if one entered on a Tourist entry. 

Someone quoted 13K available on that street a day or so ago, but that could be a renewal only - w/o the Non-O 90-day.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bubba said:

Do they? Has anyone ever heard of an immigration waiving the seasoning requirement?

Yes they do a couple of collegues have had waivers for seasoning...for example, if someone who has been on Thai work permit for number of years and wishes to move over to a retirement visa...

immigration can and usually will waive the requirement, certainly if it the company they are working for helps them do the transition to the retirement visa 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 1:49 PM, skiller said:

I wouldn´t spend one single THB to an agent, would ask a good friend for 800k. I am a happy TE member since 4 years and extend it next year (hassle free).

If you could find 2 such good friends, ensure all your extension renewal dates are 4 months apart and each contribute  270,000 baht you could move the total between your 3 accounts!

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 11:59 AM, Jingthing said:

Yes, but also dodgy bodgy. 

If the Visa Services are "dodgy", why is immigration so tight with them? One service even advertises that you can see their "agent" at immigration.  Most of us are looking for our best option to stay here and the visa services seem the only reasonable way. I've seen quotes from 20 thousand baht, all the way down to 12 thousand.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, KhunFred said:

If the Visa Services are "dodgy", why is immigration so tight with them? One service even advertises that you can see their "agent" at immigration.  Most of us are looking for our best option to stay here and the visa services seem the only reasonable way. I've seen quotes from 20 thousand baht, all the way down to 12 thousand.

Because many have relatives or friends working for Immigration. Family comes first with Thais.

21 hours ago, balo said:
On 11/21/2018 at 2:11 PM, cyberfarang said:
I`ve already been asked by some expats I know if I could lend them 800000 baht.

No way. If from the goodness of one`s heart or a person is dumb enough to lend that amount of money, if immigration ask for proof of sources of that money and the friend drops the lender in it by disclosing who lent the money, the lenders could be in trouble themselves.

There are soon going to be those desperate to borrow money for their yearly extensions and there will be loan sharks taking advantage of the situation. Many agencies are going to be under scuteney and the pull strings for 20000 baht option will also soon be gone.

If the money, 800k is put inside a locked deposit account for 3 months , I really don't see the problem here. You can even ask for online access so you can check he is not cheating you. Its only 3 months.

You don't see a problem? What are you going to do if the "friend" simply refuses to give the money back?

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 4:42 AM, cyberfarang said:

I predict major changes happening and being enforced next year.

How do you predict? What is your basis? I worked as a professional futurist for the Law Department of a fortune 50 Technology company to predict and protect (by creating IP, intellectual property, barriers) future technology. And there is a science to it. Wishing is not the same as prediction unless you're a seer. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

You don't have to jump over any hurdles if you would have hired an agent. People with 800K also do hire agents not to jump over hurdles. You choose to jump over hurdles because you liked spending your time in immigration offices.

The word you are looking for is masochists.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

What are you going to do if the "friend" simply refuses to give the money back?

I would report it . And I would only borrow to Norwegians I can somehow track and follow on social media etc . Not just any criminal ,I would do a background check first .

And if necessary involve a lawyer and witnesses to sign a contract for a personal loan.  

Edited by balo

9 hours ago, balo said:

I would report it . And I would only borrow to Norwegians I can somehow track and follow on social media etc . Not just any criminal ,I would do a background check first .

And if necessary involve a lawyer and witnesses to sign a contract for a personal loan.  

Follow on social media. Some people  ( like me ) think Facebook is a narcissist haven.

Background checks, lawyers, witnesses. Your friend won't be a friend after you have put him/her through that.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

. Your friend won't be a friend after you have put him/her through that.

Really ? Most people will understand the risks of lending money . A normal contract that both of us agree on is not a problem for any honest person who needs help. 

On 11/22/2018 at 8:45 AM, onera1961 said:

She opens a new account for each client, put the money and then empty it?

In most cases she goes with the client to the bank, opens an account and puts the 800k in, you never get hand on the bankbook. As soon the procedure is completed the money gets taken off and to end up with a 500 baht bank book. But can be used next time again. 

I haven't personally needed this service as I can provide more than one bank book with savings but friends of mine have shown me the books. The 800k booking was in and out in the same day. 

• Haha 1