American missionary killed by tribe on remote Indian island

webfact

This is quite funny actually.  The guy is faced with a load of Neolithic hunters and he starts preaching 'Jesus loves you' songs at them in the vague hope that he'll convert them in an instant.  Not once but at least two to three times and he keeps going back for more.  I suspect he's bonkers which ultimately cost him his life.

I'm quietly glad that they got rid of him.  They need space to practice their independence and quite sure they were quite confused with his language skills.  Bonkers.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, booty call said:

This is quite funny actually.  The guy is faced with a load of Neolithic hunters and he starts preaching 'Jesus loves you' songs at them in the vague hope that he'll convert them in an instant.  Not once but at least two to three times and he keeps going back for more.  I suspect he's bonkers which ultimately cost him his life.

I'm quietly glad that they got rid of him.  They need space to practice their independence and quite sure they were quite confused with his language skills.  Bonkers.  

I would be very happy to airdrop a few create loads of hunting arrows for them made by myself (I was a keen bowhunter).....

I am sure the 'Jesus Loves You' songs sounded like "$%$#%^%$##$%^" to them before he heard the twang of the hunting bows as the harmony completing his tune.

No on a serious note, he looked an interesting fellow and if he didn't preach to me, might have been interesting to talk to. Still, he should have not been there. He broke the rules and sometimes, you will pay the supreme price. I remember the headmaster as a child saying, "Sometimes you can take it just too far."

He took it to the next level.

On 11/22/2018 at 1:57 PM, tonbridgebrit said:

So, most people here are laughing at the Christian missionary who wanted to preach the name of the Lord Jesus to these people.

Okay, what about Evangelical Christians who go to China, to preach the name of the Lord Jesus there ? And Beijing, supposedly, does not allow total religious freedom in China.  And people want to criticise Beijing for not allowing total religious freedom in China. Inconsistency is massive.

There's a difference between "let me practice the religion I choose to" and "someone telling/trying to convince me I need to follow their religion."  Religious freedom isn't about the latter.  Anyone in China (or anywhere) should be allowed to practice the religion (or lack thereof) they want to practice.  That has nothing to do with proselytization, however (which I guess you could argue might fall more under "freedom of speech" than "freedom of religion").

It's too bad he died, but it was a foolish thing to do, and it sounds like he knew it was going to happen.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kiwiken said:

One less self righteous idiot in the world.

But, but, but ...... he wanted to sell the concept of Jesus to them. He told them "Jesus loves you".

They answered with arrows !

• Haha 1

On 11/23/2018 at 1:57 AM, tonbridgebrit said:

So, most people here are laughing at the Christian missionary who wanted to preach the name of the Lord Jesus to these people.

Im not laughing at his motivation, I feel that those who seek, in an appropriate way, to teach the gospel to others is admirable.

I havent read this young Mans writings, but perhaps he was seeking Martyrdom in the name of his Lord. Although I don't believe the Churches encourage that anymore, if that was true, he would receive my admiration for his faith in the face of impending doom, like St. Catherine facing the wheel. 

However this is 2018 and one wonders how an evdidently smart young man, imbued with his faith, didnt bother reading the story of St. Jean de Brebeuf and the Hurons to tell him the consequences he could face. 

In short, pretty much no-one has much sympathy for this stupid missionary that thought he could carry out a one man invasion to 'preach the truth' [emoji16] - according to his views.....
Should have used the methods another religion uses to convert you to it. And its not peacfull lol

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

This drama actually continues. I am uncertain if it is in the media or not, but there is pressure on US Embassy India to recover the body. Indian police have stated they will not go. There is some tenders to assemble teams to go in and recover the body. I consider this to be just as dubious as the guy rationalizing going there. Not sure what they will decide, but this portends lots of no good as well.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, arjunadawn said:

This drama actually continues. I am uncertain if it is in the media or not, but there is pressure on US Embassy India to recover the body. Indian police have stated they will not go. There is some tenders to assemble teams to go in and recover the body. I consider this to be just as dubious as the guy rationalizing going there. Not sure what they will decide, but this portends lots of no good as well.

Pressure from who exactly? The last I heard the family had accepted it shouldn't be done because of the risks (both to the retrievers and the tribe). Of course they should just let it be. He dug his own grave going there and now he will lie in it. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Im not laughing at his motivation, I feel that those who seek, in an appropriate way, to teach the gospel to others is admirable.

I havent read this young Mans writings, but perhaps he was seeking Martyrdom in the name of his Lord. Although I don't believe the Churches encourage that anymore, if that was true, he would receive my admiration for his faith in the face of impending doom, like St. Catherine facing the wheel. 

However this is 2018 and one wonders how an evdidently smart young man, imbued with his faith, didnt bother reading the story of St. Jean de Brebeuf and the Hurons to tell him the consequences he could face. 

His way was not appropriate.  And why do the "others" want to hear the gospel?  If they ask, that's one thing.  If you just show up and say "I'm going to teach this to you"-- not so nice.

I can't imagine you store up that many points in heaven for intentionally seeking to become a martyr.  God tends to care about your motives almost as much as, or as much as, your actual actions.  Specifically aiming to go out in a blaze of religious glory probably isn't quite the attitude God would be impressed by; the Bible has plenty of admonishments not to seek personal prestige.  It doesn't sound like he accomplished anything, evangelically, before he died, so his death was even for naught.

This person was too young to die, and had the merit to think he had something to share with this tribe of an other time. 

This episode is an other illustration of the survival of the fittest, ironically the result of isolation and absence of genetic mix for 60000 years.

In the end, I have more in common with him as human being than with this tribe, so, RIP.   

Edited by Opl

16 minutes ago, Opl said:

This person was too young to die, and had the merit to think he had something to share with this tribe of an other time. 

This episode is an other illustration of the survival of the fittest, ironically the result of isolation and absence of genetic mix for 60000 years.

In the end, I have more in common with him as human being than with this tribe, so, RIP.   

NO,  this was Darwinism at work 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

NO,  this was Darwinism at work 

Sorry, I meant " fittest" ironically, but forgot to type the " ". Agree with you for Darwinism; but I was more refering to Maslow's hierarchy of needs. 

A would-be "missionary" with his kind of mindset, facing an armed tribe isolated for millenia, it's not difficult to predict who "shoots first". 

Had he taken the precaution to take an arm with him - just in case - it probably would'nt have changed much the outcome, 

To stay alive In this kind of encounter, don't think too much, your "humanity" is of no help, this tribe still is still living on a basic survival mode. And not the spiritual one.      

Edited by Opl

9 minutes ago, Opl said:

Had he taken the precaution to take an arm with him - just in case - it probably would'nt have changed much the outcome

I'm very glad that he did not take an "arm" with him except for the two attached to his body.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, neeray said:

I'm very glad that he did not take an "arm" with him except for the two attached to his body.

you're in favor of the "preservation of species", in a way

Edited by Opl

1 minute ago, Opl said:

you're in favor of "preservation of species", in a way

Very much so. It would be nice to know more about them but my imagination will just have to do.

Perhaps they outsmarted the other billions of us, especially we who are caught up in the ridiculous, day to day rat race of modern life.

• Like 2

Christianity celebrates cannibalism.

The religion where a cracker becomes the body of Christ and some cheap vino is drinking blood.

I eat his flesh and I drink his blood...

Lovely. How is exposing kids to this not a form of child abuse?

The religion of slave traders and pederasts.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1