Banker Stupidity - Stupid is as stupid does

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ctkong said:

I find that Bangkok bank staff are more rigid with rules than kasikorn bank. And too careful with their procedures too... 

But that's the point, isn't it?  They aren't following their procedures.  They are instead making it up.

13 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

I'm going to assume English is not your first language.  I have accounts at Kasikorn and Thanachart.  Neither of them do or want to do cash advances.  It would be convenient to withdraw large sums of cash and then promptly deposit it into the same bank.  Last night I took a sizable sum from Bangkok Bank.  I went to eat in the mall and after eating I tried to deposit my cash in the machine at Thanachart.  It had no paper for a receipt so I declined.  When I went to Kasikorn it wasn't accepting cash.

I had to walk home with a lot of cash.  I would have preferred to put it safely in a Bangkok Bank Account.

You are right I have comprehension problems. Good luck with your life.

7 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

I find that Bangkok bank staff are more rigid with rules than kasikorn bank. And too careful with their procedures too... 

I think this is why Tony's not a "Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank." 

Probably on the blacklist by now.  

31 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

I think this is why Tony's not a "Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank." 

Probably on the blacklist by now.  

Can you blame them?

He walks in with a microphone on his hand, dark glasses, wearing  a mexican wedding tax, and starts singing Danke schoen, darling, danke schoen . 

What do you expect 

3 hours ago, Ctkong said:

“Better still, instead of staring a thread of complaint which gets you nowhere other than a little more irritated as you fall foul of criticism for not understanding how things work here, start a productive thread asking where guys have had success opening an account without a Work Permit - something from which you can move forwards instead of stewing in frustration. ”

without work permit, with thailand elite visa , one can open bank account ... 

I very much doubt the Op, at 80 years old is interested in paying a 500,000 baht for the convenience of opening a bank account... He certainly doesn't need the visa... 

5 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

But that's the point, isn't it?  They aren't following their procedures.  They are instead making it up.

I had this problem in one of the Kasikorn branches , but what I did was to call customer service , they speak excellent English , then I handed the phone over to the staff who earlier denied me to open an account even if I was qualified.   

The account was opened within 5 minutes. They lost face of course and I enjoyed that. 

19 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

What he did produce was this attachment which outlines in English what Bangkok Bank requires from a foreigner to open a bank account.  

After showing said idiot, that I have an O-A visa, and I am a "Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank" which I assume is true since they keep handing me money when I come, he still wouldn't relent.

The following is from the attachment you reference>

Passport and ONE of the following documents:
- A letter of reference from one of the following:

- Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive

The wording is quite clear that they are looking for a letter of reference from a person acceptable to the bank.

Are you claiming that the Bangkok Bank employee is an 'idiot' because he would not accept you using yourself for a letter of reference?

LOL, I wish I could go through life writing any required letters of reference myself.

6 hours ago, ningnong said:

The following is from the attachment you reference>

Passport and ONE of the following documents:
- A letter of reference from one of the following:

- Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive

The wording is quite clear that they are looking for a letter of reference from a person acceptable to the bank.

Are you claiming that the Bangkok Bank employee is an 'idiot' because he would not accept you using yourself for a letter of reference?

LOL, I wish I could go through life writing any required letters of reference myself.

No.  I expect his Manager can green light an account on her own per the wording on the translation.

Keep in mind, that this started by my asking for an example of what they kept saying I need to get from my embassy to verify my passport.  No one could show me an example.  I don't think they know.  They make up rules as they go along.  Giving me their own English rules was ammunition I can use.

Think about how stupid this all is.  

I can get 5000 Dollars on my card at one time.  150,000 Baht.

I ask them to open an account so I may deposit the money.  They tell me that I need a letter from my embassy to verify my passport so I can open an account.  They just handed me 150,000 using the same passport for identification.

150,000 baht = good

account = no good.

That's not just nutty, it's stupid.

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

Can you blame them?

He walks in with a microphone on his hand, dark glasses, wearing  a mexican wedding tax, and starts singing Danke schoen, darling, danke schoen . 

What do you expect 

It's a hell of a show ...

You need a letter of reference.... You don't have one...    They can't give you an example of one because they probably haven't got one at hand...

- The letter of reference from your Embassy not a viable option, even though they request this an Embassy is not going to write you a letter of reference unless you work for them or an affiliated NGO etc...

- Additionally you can no longer get your Affirmation of Income

Thus, you are attempting use this letter as proof to win an argument you are unlikely able to win...  Why bother flogging a dead horse.... 

The best option you have is to get a letter from a Lawyer.... i.e. contact a law company (there are adverts all over the Web from Law companies such as Siam Legal) who can assist you with opening a bank account... I think they may need to act as a Reference and perhaps Guarantor (although a Guarantor on a savings account is not required).

There is no need to keep banging on about this this 'piece of paper' when its quite clear the translation is poor, its likely out of date and its obvious the staff are not following it anyway.

7 hours ago, ningnong said:

A letter of reference from one of the following:

- Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer

Just find a Thai friend/person that you know who has a BKK bank account, i.e. a customer.  That is all that they need for you to meet that requirement.  I have 4 accounts with BKK and no work permit and at the time of opening my first account on a Non O visa. My partner has an account with them and they were quite happy to open the account with her ID/Bank book as reference.

I suggest you do the above and abide by their (Government) rules, smile, wai a few times and all will be well.

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not true.  I have an appointment at the end of the month to get one of the last letters to be issued, which I will use in June as it will be good until July and my stay date is Mid July.

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why bother flogging a dead horse.... 

Why not?  I'm there to my business, so it cost me nothing.

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The best option you have is to get a letter from a Lawyer.

I disagree.  The best option is to call their compliance officer at the main Bangkok Bank Branch.  

5 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

abide by their (Government) rules,

I don't have to abide by their rules, they have to abide by them.  I don't work for BB.  They aren't government rules.  I would like to see the regulatory rules but I'll be satisfied talking to the regulatory compliance department to sort it out.  They of all people who work for BB will know the Thai Laws and the bank rules.

4 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:
43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not true.  I have an appointment at the end of the month to get one of the last letters to be issued, which I will use in June as it will be good until July and my stay date is Mid July.

Why bother flogging a dead horse.... 

Why not?  I'm there to my business, so it cost me nothing.

The best option you have is to get a letter from a Lawyer.

I disagree.  The best option is to call their compliance officer at the main Bangkok Bank Branch.  

It's costing you time - but if you get what you want, only you can decide if it was time well spent. 

Best of luck... I'm sure there are lot of people interested to see how you get along.

It'll be interesting to see if they even have compliance personnel, or, if you are able to secure a meeting with anyone in a position to make a decision in your favor. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's costing you time - but if you get what you want, only you can decide if it was time well spent. 

Best of luck... I'm sure there are lot of people interested to see how you get along.

It'll be interesting to see if they even have compliance personnel, or, if you are able to secure a meeting with anyone in a position to make a decision in your favor. 

It's not that they will argue in my favor, I am confident that compliance will follow their own rules per Thai banking regulations.  

It's funny, that I've provided to this community a written statement from BB that shows their own rules for their employees to follow and I get nothing but pushback from the ignorant.  Information is power.  Use it or not.  Why should I care if some here wish to remain perpetually ignorant?  

I like a challenge.  I'm there getting my money and it is that small branch where I want an account.  Tonight I'll walk to the mall with a wad of cash and put it in my bank.  I should have been able to transact all of that business in one visit at one bank.

1 hour ago, TonyClifton said:

No.  I expect his Manager can green light an account on her own per the wording on the translation.

Exactly. Not sure if it will be a green light but If you had a letter of reference in hand from the manager, per the wording in the document, you would have met that particular requirement for opening an account. No need to blame the bank employee doing his job.

In your attached PDF it looks like your circled the parts that applied to you but you failed to circle this:

"A letter of reference from one of the following:"

Granted the bullet list could have been formatted better but it still is very clear in what the requirements are for that particular branch.

15 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

It's not that they will argue in my favor, I am confident that compliance will follow their own rules per Thai banking regulations.  

It's funny, that I've provided to this community a written statement from BB that shows their own rules for their employees to follow and I get nothing but pushback from the ignorant.  Information is power.  Use it or not.  Why should I care if some here wish to remain perpetually ignorant?  

I like a challenge.  I'm there getting my money and it is that small branch where I want an account.  Tonight I'll walk to the mall with a wad of cash and put it in my bank.  I should have been able to transact all of that business in one visit at one bank.

You've provided a poorly photocopied sheet of paper which could have been written by anyone at the bank - it could be decades old... Because it's in print does not make it 'binding'.

You have been rejected by Bangkok Bank... You are debating with us (and them) that they have rules and should allow you to have a Bank Account there. You accuse the Staff at Bangkok Bank of being Stupid and Members of this Forum who have responded of being 'perpetually ignorant' because they choose to rely on their experience rather than a photo of a photocopied piece of paper which as no identifying seal, no identifying stamp, no letterhead and no signature....

I too like a challenge and your case I can see the advantages of having a Bangkok Bank Account...  but, you have gone about it the wrong way and perhaps alienated some at the local branch who may otherwise have been willing to assist. 

Again, it would seem you are about to go about it the wrong way with Bangkok Bank by trying to prove them wrong. Instead, make an appointment with Head Office and ask them for their help - You can't force them to give you a Bank Account.

5 minutes ago, ningnong said:

No need to blame the bank employee doing his job.

If he isn't following their own rules, then he isn't doing his job.  He was stuck on a work permit.  Why?  He's stupid.  He can't think.  Isn't that clear to anyone with a functional brain?

6 minutes ago, ningnong said:

that particular branch.

That's system-wide, not just this particular branch.

I didn't circle the reference letter because it is a separate item.  You have misread the document.  It said one of the items below.  I circled one of them that can easily be done at the branch.  

I keep coming to the branch to take money off my card and they continue to accept me.  

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

You've provided a poorly photocopied sheet of paper which could have been written by anyone at the bank - it could be decades old... Because it's in print does not make it 'binding'.

You have been rejected by Bangkok Bank... You are debating with us (and them) that they have rules and should allow you to have a Bank Account there. You accuse the Staff at Bangkok Bank of being Stupid and Members of this Forum who have responded of being 'perpetually ignorant' because they choose to rely on their experience rather than a photo of a photocopied piece of paper which as no identifying seal, no identifying stamp, no letterhead and no signature....

I too like a challenge and your case I can see the advantages of having a Bangkok Bank Account...  but, you have gone about it the wrong way and perhaps alienated some at the local branch who may otherwise have been willing to assist. 

Again, it would seem you are about to go about it the wrong way with Bangkok Bank by trying to prove them wrong. Instead, make an appointment with Head Office and ask them for their help - You can't force them to give you a Bank Account.

You're so far off the mark, that I won't waste any of my time responding to you.  Have a good day.

39 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Just find a Thai friend/person that you know who has a BKK bank account, i.e. a customer.  That is all that they need for you to meet that requirement.  I have 4 accounts with BKK and no work permit and at the time of opening my first account on a Non O visa. My partner has an account with them and they were quite happy to open the account with her ID/Bank book as reference.

I suggest you do the above and abide by their (Government) rules, smile, wai a few times and all will be well.

I think that's how it worked for me recently. Went into a Bangkok Bank branch alone and they said I needed a letter of reference from the US embassy. Went into another branch with my partner and they asked to see her ID and that seemed to satisfy the need for a reference. And being from the US there are all the extra hoops to jump through for a new account but no problem. Everyone was very polite.

I have read about 50% of this thread so forgive me if anyone mentioned this

I got an account at Bangkok Bank using a tourist visa.. but I HAD to have a Thai national come with me and I can't recall if she had to have an account with Bangkok Bank (probably did).. she showed her ID and bank stuff, signed some paperwork and they set me up (i think it's part of the text you made a circle around)

my 2nd account with Kasikorn a few weeks back I went with the Thailand Elite guys.. everything was fine but no one told me that they wanted 20,000 deposit.. I didn't have the cash on hand but borrowed it.. the next day gave it back 555

without the money they would absolutely not budge. I reported that to the Thailand Elite guys and then a few days later I think they said they would not offer that service anymore (assisting with Kasikorn accounts)-- probably my fault.

3 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

If he isn't following their own rules, then he isn't doing his job.  He was stuck on a work permit.  Why?  He's stupid.  He can't think.  Isn't that clear to anyone with a functional brain?

That's system-wide, not just this particular branch.

I didn't circle the reference letter because it is a separate item.  You have misread the document.  It said one of the items below.  I circled one of them that can easily be done at the branch.  

I keep coming to the branch to take money off my card and they continue to accept me.  

The letter is poorly formatted... 

You need a letter of reference from one of the following... 

(you circled below)

- Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank. e.g. Branch Officer, Customer, Government Officer or Company Exec.

Thus, going by your photo of the photocopied letter, if you had a letter of Reference from an existing Customer you may get your account... All I can say to that is 'Good Luck' !!!... 

7 minutes ago, kekalot said:

I have read about 50% of this thread so forgive me if anyone mentioned this

I got an account at Bangkok Bank using a tourist visa.. but I HAD to have a Thai national come with me and I can't recall if she had to have an account with Bangkok Bank (probably did).. she showed her ID and bank stuff, signed some paperwork and they set me up (i think it's part of the text you made a circle around)

my 2nd account with Kasikorn a few weeks back I went with the Thailand Elite guys.. everything was fine but no one told me that they wanted 20,000 deposit.. I didn't have the cash on hand but borrowed it.. the next day gave it back 555

without the money they would absolutely not budge. I reported that to the Thailand Elite guys and then a few days later I think they said they would not offer that service anymore (assisting with Kasikorn accounts)-- probably my fault.

The manager at Kasikorn in Central Lad Prao has her people well trained.  They don't offer nonsense at this branch, only accounts and they are happy to open one for you.

11 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

I think you misread the document. You missed the colon in the following:

The colon indicates the list below it.  Understand now?

8 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

You're so far off the mark, that I won't waste any of my time responding to you.  Have a good day.

It would seem that anyone who questions you or doesn't wholeheartedly agree with 'your take' is met with a degree of intolerance....   What did you expect from this thread? that everyone massages your dented ego and agrees that your rejection was wrong, unfair and that those Thai's would wouldn't let you do want you wanted are clearly stupid.... >>>> ????

You are going about all of this the wrong way by trying to 'win'... it is this level of stubbornness which sees so many fall down in South East Asia,... they then turn to these pages crying that things didn't go their way when they feel otherwise....  

Learn to play the game... relax...  you are not going to re-educate the whole of Bangkok Bank !!!

Your single objective is to get a Bank Account at Bangkok Bank, just try lots of Branches, try the head office, be kind polite, endearing, ask for their help, get a couple of letters of reference from friends with BKK Bank Accounts (it may or may not help)... 

... But, your objective of proving them wrong is flawed and counter productive.

2 minutes ago, ningnong said:

I think you misread the document. You missed the colon in the following:

The colon indicates the list below it.  Understand now?

You have a problem.  Both the passport sentence and ONE ... and the one below have a :

So which one controls?

A letter of reference from ONE of the following.

A branch officer can provide such a reference.  That's why I circled it.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would seem that anyone who questions you or doesn't wholeheartedly agree with 'your take' is met with a degree of intolerance....   What did you expect from this thread?

I thought I dismissed you already.  Off you go.

3 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

The manager at Kasikorn in Central Lad Prao has her people well trained.  They don't offer nonsense at this branch, only accounts and they are happy to open one for you.

maybe i wrote what i said wrong, i already have my account now.

rest still stands, with a BKK Bank Thai customer with you, they would likely make an account for ya

Archived