Egyptian film star charged with 'inciting immorality' for wearing see-through dress

rooster59

Egyptian film star charged with 'inciting immorality' for wearing see-through dress

800x800 (5).jpg

Egyptian actor Rania Youssef attends the closing ceremony of the 40th edition of the Cairo International Film Festival at the Opera House in Cairo, Egypt November 29, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Soliman

CAIRO (Reuters) - An Egyptian film star faces trial next month promoting immorality after attending the Cairo Film Festival in a see-through dress, state-owned online newspaper Al-Ahram Gate reported on Saturday.

Rania Youssef will face a trial in January in Cairo after receiving a number of complaints about her attire, accusing her of inciting immorality and promoting vice.

The actress turned heads at the closing ceremony of the festival on Thursday when she appeared in a black dress that exposed what some commentators described as a swimsuit beneath it.

The pictures of the 44-year-old star left social media users divided, with some calling her names and other defending her right to wear what she wants.

"This dress and design is called 'I forgot my trousers while going to be honoured," wrote one Twitter user.

Another user said Rania's appearance will help her get more work.

"This entry has at least 15 films, two television series and 13 television and radio show appearances," wrote Karim Ahmed on Twitter. "Congratulations.

Another Twitter user writing under the name Zakaria MJ frowned at the criticism.

"Rania Youssef is looking gorgeous," he wrote in a message in English. "I don’t get why everybody is mad at her."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-02

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Egyptian actor Rania Youssef. . . 

She's not an actor, she's an actress. Or is Princess Anne actually Prince Anne?

See how confusing our native language can get when you bow to the self-appointed high priests of political correctness?

Actor can be used regardless of gender. 

ACTOR - a person whose profession is acting on the stage, in movies, or on television.

As far as I'm aware, women are people.

'Rania Youssef will face a trial in January in Cairo after receiving a number of complaints about her attire, accusing her of inciting immorality and promoting vice.'

So what about the immorals she incited and the vice-bound she promoted? Are they going to be prosecuted?

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

Looks less revealing than a swimsuut.

So any tourists in Egypt wearing a swimsuit are at risk of being arrested?  No wonder their tourist industry is almost none existent with Bronze-Age thinking like this.

If the tourist wears a swimsuit on the beach, no. If they wear it in the middle of Cairo, yes. By the way, it's illegal to go around a city in a swimsuit also in european countries, at least it is in those were I lived. Although I have seen girls wearing basically a bra in the UK in winter, and I wish I hadn't.

Also, with 8m international visitors in 2017, I would not call their tourism industry almost non-existent. But I agree about "bronze age", well at least not exactly modern.

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

If the tourist wears a swimsuit on the beach, no. If they wear it in the middle of Cairo, yes. By the way, it's illegal to go around a city in a swimsuit also in european countries, at least it is in those were I lived. Although I have seen girls wearing basically a bra in the UK in winter, and I wish I hadn't.

Also, with 8m international visitors in 2017, I would not call their tourism industry almost non-existent. But I agree about "bronze age", well at least not exactly modern.

Egyptian tourism has been in serious decline since its peak in 2010 of 14.7 million - that's a serious fall in my view - especially in a market that should have been increasing each year.  And backward looking, religious nonsense like this case will not help.  

Anybody who visits an Arab country for “tourism” should have their head examined. Pyramids? You can see them on Google earth. Backwards and degenerate, offensive to women’s rights. What exactly did this lady do wrong? Nothing at all. Egyptian men in the street are known for sexual harassment and rapes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Anybody who visits an Arab country for “tourism” should have their head examined. Pyramids? You can see them on Google earth. Backwards and degenerate, offensive to women’s rights. What exactly did this lady do wrong? Nothing at all. Egyptian men in the street are known for sexual harassment and rapes.

based on your insider information may we assume that you are a frequent visitor of Egypt?