The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, BangrakBob said:

I didn't say counter attacking and parking the bus were one in the same. Except if you are going to score a goal after taking a tactically defensive game then it would be on the counter. 

You said Pep would park the bus - a phrase which suggests resentment at defensive tactics.

Teams throughout history have won games and trophies using defensive tactics, but in this country it gets labelled 'parking the bus'.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You said Pep would park the bus - a phrase which suggests resentment at defensive tactics.

Teams throughout history have won games and trophies using defensive tactics, but in this country it gets labelled 'parking the bus'.

Do you enjoy watching your team not attack and hope to get a chance on the counter? 

1 minute ago, BangrakBob said:

Do you enjoy watching your team not attack and hope to get a chance on the counter? 

I enjoy tactical masterclasses which win the game.

In huge games like this, anything goes. I refer you to the video below:

31 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

@BangrakBob Watch from 4.20 mins. Jose says the Italian media used the phrase "jail" to describe how they nullified Messi. Except in Italy, this is used as a compliment! Why? Because the average Italian fan understands the game more than the average 'park the bus' English fan.

The Italian league is a one horse race played out in half empty stadiums blighted by racism, as far as my limited English understanding tells me.

1 minute ago, champers said:

The Italian league is a one horse race played out in half empty stadiums blighted by racism, as far as my limited English understanding tells me.

Absolutely right.

It also has three daily newspapers entirely focused on football, and a media which puts a far bigger emphasis on tactics and the actual game...... rather than trying hype up things by focusing on emotions, characters and pantomine villians. As a result, the fans have a far greater appreciation of the actual sport. The same could be said of a few countries in Europe.

8 hours ago, RickG16 said:

@BangrakBob Watch from 4.20 mins. Jose says the Italian media used the phrase "jail" to describe how they nullified Messi. Except in Italy, this is used as a compliment! Why? Because the average Italian fan understands the game more than the average 'park the bus' English fan.

You don't half take some <deleted>....we are not talking about the Italian League, we are talking about the British. The EPL is founded on end to end excitement. I enjoy watching attacking football, that's my thing, I don't enjoy watching boring defensive football. It's got <deleted> all to do with understanding anything.

btw it's actually 8th vs 14th today. 

22 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

If you could admit to me that hand on heart you wouldn't miss just Adrian, VvD, Salah, Mane all at the same time, then fair enough. But I think we both know you would.

We gave Barcelona a belting without a few of those...

Some interesting backroom developments this week, probably related to the succession of Pep when he probably departs in 2022. 

Domenec Torrent - Pep's  assistant manager for 11 years - who moved to NYCFC 18-months ago as their head coach, surprisingly resigned this week after the most successful season in New  York's history. Unclear why or what his next move is - Girona?

Torrent's move to NY allowed Arteta to become Pep's no.2.

van Bronckhorst, who has been in the City Group for the last few months in a free observing role is now being talked up as NY boss.

Looks like City will/may choose in-house from Torrent, Arteta or maybe van Bronckhorst. 

I doubt Paddy Viera is being considered  anymore.

8 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Since when has he been first choicer IX?

Up until the semi-final of the CL 2017/18 when he got injured.

He would have played instead of Shaqiri that night against Barcelona.

He is our best creative threat going forward behind the front line and he's getting back to form, banging them in again. 

11 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Some interesting backroom developments this week, probably related to the succession of Pep when he probably departs in 2022. 

Domenec Torrent - Pep's  assistant manager for 11 years - who moved to NYCFC 18-months ago as their head coach, surprisingly resigned this week after the most successful season in New  York's history. Unclear why or what his next move is - Girona?

Torrent's move to NY allowed Arteta to become Pep's no.2.

van Bronckhorst, who has been in the City Group for the last few months in a free observing role is now being talked up as NY boss.

Looks like City will/may choose in-house from Torrent, Arteta or maybe van Bronckhorst. 

I doubt Paddy Viera is being considered  anymore.

Interesting how you say "in-house" All these other clubs you consider part of the City group now?

2 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Interesting how you say "in-house" All these other clubs you consider part of the City group now?

What do you mean "consider"? They are part of the City Group. 7 clubs are in the City Group :-

Manchester City (England)

New York City (USA)

Melbourne City (Australia)

Yokohama F. Marinos (Japan)

Club Atletico Torque (Uruguay)

Girona (Spain)

Sichuan Jiuniu (China)

Just now, mrbojangles said:

What do you mean "consider"? They are part of the City Group. 7 clubs are in the City Group :-

Manchester City (England)

New York City (USA)

Melbourne City (Australia)

Yokohama F. Marinos (Japan)

Club Atletico Torque (Uruguay)

Girona (Spain)

Sichuan Jiuniu (China)

Yes I know this, but you guys were always banging on about City being a well run club on it's own merit, and it has nothing to do with the other teams/player farms. 

6 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

You don't half take some <deleted>....we are not talking about the Italian League, we are talking about the British. The EPL is founded on end to end excitement. I enjoy watching attacking football, that's my thing, I don't enjoy watching boring defensive football. It's got <deleted> all to do with understanding anything.

btw it's actually 8th vs 14th today. 

That's fine. Some people prefer Mike Tyson, some people prefer Floyd Mayweather.

But it was Mayweather who left the sport with his record in tact and without being knocked the <deleted> out. The boxing equivalent of 'park the bus' is people who said Mayweather 'ran', when in fact, he has perfected the art of hitting without getting hit. 

All I am saying is don't get resentful. If you are going to become the best team in the country you need to solve all sorts of puzzles.

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:
1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Since when has he been first choicer IX?

Up until the semi-final of the CL 2017/18 when he got injured.

In the 2017/18 season you signed him, before his April injury, he played in 46 games but only started in 25 games (subbed off in 13 games) and he came on 21 games.

Last season, he played in 4 games but only started in 2 games (subbed off in 2 games) and he came on 2 games.

This season, he's played in 13 games but only started in 7 games (subbed off in 7 games) and he came on 6 games.

Hardly a first-choice starter is he - as i said - he's a decent squad player.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

That's fine. Some people prefer Mike Tyson, some people prefer Floyd Mayweather.

But it was Mayweather who left the sport with his record in tact and without being knocked the <deleted> out. The boxing equivalent of 'park the bus' is people who said Mayweather 'ran', when in fact, he has perfected the art of hitting without getting hit. 

All I am saying is don't get resentful. If you are going to become the best team in the country you need to solve all sorts of puzzles.

I totally get your point even if Bob is doing his best not to.

Backs-against-the-wall defensive display can be very entertaining to watch - thinking Mourinho's Inter semi and Chelsea CL final straight off the bat.

4 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Yes I know this, but you guys were always banging on about City being a well run club on it's own merit, and it has nothing to do with the other teams/player farms. 

We are an extremely well run club and the other clubs are part of the City Group. I'm looking forward to this seasons fiscal results in which it is projected that either this year or next we will overtake MU's turnover.

Our aim is world dominance and there'll be more City Group clubs than there are McDonald's ???? 

5 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Some would say they were not great fighters, because they never faced a problem and overcame it in a fight. Getting rattled, tested, and coming back from being down and finding a way to win is what makes a great fighter. I'm digressing...

I get your point.

30 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Some would say they were not great fighters, because they never faced a problem and overcame it in a fight. Getting rattled, tested, and coming back from being down and finding a way to win is what makes a great fighter. I'm digressing...

I get your point.

But he was that good he was never in that situation. Anyway there is only so far the analogy can go....

Enjoy the game.. in my predictions I have City 2-1 ????

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

I get your point.

Huh? Mayweather was technically brilliant. You dont finish with 50 out of 50 wins unless you're a tough and brilliant boxer. 

51 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

But he was that good he was never in that situation. Anyway there is only so far the analogy can go....

Enjoy the game.. in my predictions I have City 2-1 ????

Ok it's prediction time (thank you optimistic Rick).

We have an abysmal record at Anfield, we have an injury crisis, and we have a Liverpool team who've forgotten how to lose, so we're really up against it. Heart says we'll get a draw but head says realistically it should be Liverpool's by 2 (the wife reckons 2v1). This game has come too early for us with all those big players out. But you never know...

WHAT'S YOUR PREDICTION?

Particularly interested to see Bob's and Wilai's and neutrals.

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Ok it's prediction time (thank you optimistic Rick).

We have an abysmal record at Anfield, we have an injury crisis, and we have a Liverpool team who've forgotten how to lose, so we're really up against it. Heart says we'll get a draw but head says realistically it should be Liverpool's by 2 (the wife reckons 2v1). This game has come too early for us with all those big players out. But you never know...

WHAT'S YOUR PREDICTION?

Particularly interested to see Bob's and Wilai's and neutrals.

0-0. 
City borrowing the United bus for the day. 

Archived