The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

We make a lot of money, so we are entitled to spend (or waste) it. 

But instead of getting tribalistic, why not discuss BB's point, which is a good one. Good strikers can be bought, but how easy is it to replace iconic ones. How easily did Arsenal replace Henry, or Chelsea replace Drogba, or Newcastle replace Shearer?

When the time comes, City might actually struggle to fill an Aguero sized hole. Agueros don't grow on trees.

The solution could be to buy 2 strikers and see who (+ Jesus) can force their way into the side

Arguably, 3 target men in a different era of football. City aren't reliant on a one striker to win them games of football week in, week out.

They have goals across the front, and midfield, the incredible amount of assists from that midfield are still going to be setting up someone.

I wouldn't say he is easily replaceable, but I don't believe that City will struggle to challenge when Aguero leaves/retires...whomever they replace him with. 

btw. I wasn't necessarily having a dig at United, it is an actual fact you've spent loads and it is good example of your point, and it is an actual fact City are a well run club. 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Let there be no doubt. We will struggle to find anyone capable of achieving what he has. He's as near to being labelled irreplaceable as you can be

You could always join the Mbappe auction.

8 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

btw. I wasn't necessarily having a dig at United, it is an actual fact you've spent loads and it is good example of your point, and it is an actual fact City are a well run club. 

Don't look like a blinkered media sheep though... everyone is saying United are badly run and need a director of football... so it must be true.

The fact is we are still finding our feet after a huge cultural change following the end of a 25 year reign. Aside from Moyes, I can't remember too many complaints following the hiring of the other 3 managers. Similarly with signings such as Alexis and Lukaku. It doesn't mean our club is badly run. It just means that we are in a transitional phase and that 2-3 other rival clubs are at or near the peak of their 'cycles'. 

Don't take the media narrative. Think for yourself. 

57 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Don't look like a blinkered media sheep though... everyone is saying United are badly run and need a director of football... so it must be true.

The fact is we are still finding our feet after a huge cultural change following the end of a 25 year reign. Aside from Moyes, I can't remember too many complaints following the hiring of the other 3 managers. Similarly with signings such as Alexis and Lukaku. It doesn't mean our club is badly run. It just means that we are in a transitional phase and that 2-3 other rival clubs are at or near the peak of their 'cycles'. 

Don't take the media narrative. Think for yourself. 

I don't have time to sit and read about football all day or watch punditry, moreover I find it tedious and repetitive. I watch matches, read the odd article that is generally not mainstream media, that is about it.

I didn't say anything about managers, or your current situation.  I mentioned about the amount of money being spent and not getting success from it, United are the best example.

But fella if you think going through manager after manager and spending 840M on players to end up going further and further backwards is due to you being in a transition period that is 7 years and counting then there is no point talking about it with me, you need a doctor. 

34 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

I don't have time to sit and read about football all day or watch punditry, moreover I find it tedious and repetitive. I watch matches, read the odd article that is generally not mainstream media, that is about it.

I didn't say anything about managers, or your current situation.  I mentioned about the amount of money being spent and not getting success from it, United are the best example.

But fella if you think going through manager after manager and spending 840M on players to end up going further and further backwards is due to you being in a transition period that is 7 years and counting then there is no point talking about it with me, you need a doctor. 

.......and he thinks others are blinkered sheep. 

The irony is overwhelming. 

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Let there be no doubt. We will struggle to find anyone capable of achieving what he has. He's as near to being labelled irreplaceable as you can be

I am tempted to say that Sterling fits the bill. His finishing has improved markedly this season. Move him inside and find a new winger instead. Jesus is no slouch either and is bound to improve with age.

1 minute ago, BangrakBob said:

But fella if you think going through manager after manager and spending 840M on players to end up going further and further backwards is due to you being in a transition period, that is 7 years and counting then there is no point talking about it with me, you need a doctor. 

In the grand scheme of things, how long do you think a transition period should take, especially considering that City and Liverpool have been peaking, and are also  spending a lot of money.

Do you think we should have spent less than 840M? Would that have been better? Do you think we should have gone through less managers, perhaps stuck with Moyes or LVG until now?

Transition means a period when you are trying to determine your direction, and hit on a formula which works. It's not an exact science. Appointing Mourinho, buying Alexis, they all looked like good decisions at the time, and I mean to intelligent football people. But football, like life, doesn't work like that. You keep trying until you get it right. 

12 minutes ago, champers said:

I am tempted to say that Sterling fits the bill. His finishing has improved markedly this season. Move him inside and find a new winger instead. Jesus is no slouch either and is bound to improve with age.

I like the way City are slowly but surely integrating Jesus into the side. He looks to be the natural replacement and going to be a huge success imo. 

He seems to have a good head on him too. 

Good to see him sit on the bench without whinging and every time he comes off it gives his all and makes a difference. I’m sure he knows his time will come. 

I also like the way he squashes media rumours of him wanting away. A few of the bigger names, Pogba for one, could take a lead from his example. 

25 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

In the grand scheme of things, how long do you think a transition period should take, especially considering that City and Liverpool have been peaking, and are also  spending a lot of money.

Do you think we should have spent less than 840M? Would that have been better? Do you think we should have gone through less managers, perhaps stuck with Moyes or LVG until now?

Transition means a period when you are trying to determine your direction, and hit on a formula which works. It's not an exact science. Appointing Mourinho, buying Alexis, they all looked like good decisions at the time, and I mean to intelligent football people. But football, like life, doesn't work like that. You keep trying until you get it right. 

I expected from England's most successful team in the modern era (EPL) a much better succession plan and strategic planning that percentage wise should have made that money better spent, it was mostly wasted. 

You think that Mourinho's lack of success was due him being a bad appointment when at every other club he went to he succeeded and very well, nothing to do with shortsightedness of your club. He said this would happen, he said it was his greatest achievement coming second with that team. 

You keep trying for sure, but aren't you supposed to learn from your mistakes, it doesn't appear that way at United, just keep trying and spending without a formula that works.

4 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

You think that Mourinho's lack of success was due him being a bad appointment when at every other club he went to he succeeded and very well, nothing to do with shortsightedness of your club. He said this would happen, he said it was his greatest achievement coming second with that team. 

Re: the first sentence, don't put words in my mouth.

And are you are saying we shouldn't have sacked Mourinho? 

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Amen to all of that and STILL undervalued by some EPL pundits.

14 minutes ago, jellydog said:

As for replacing KUN maybe we will wait around for 10 year old Benjamin Aguero:

Father-Sergio Aguero

Grandfather-Diego Maradona

Godfather-Lionel Messi

That's a nice pedigree. Hope he comes through our academy.

Talking of pedigree. Young Tommy Doyle who made his debut last night has 2 City legends for grandfathers. Mike Doyle (deceased) and Glyn Pardoe who where helped us win the old First Division in 1968, the FA Cup in 1969 and the League Cup in 1970.

20 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

That's a nice pedigree. Hope he comes through our academy.

Talking of pedigree. Young Tommy Doyle who made his debut last night has 2 City legends for grandfathers. Mike Doyle (deceased) and Glyn Pardoe who where helped us win the old First Division in 1968, the FA Cup in 1969 and the League Cup in 1970.

...and not forgetting that grandad Glyn’s cousin Alan Oakes still holds the City appearance record of 680 games.

46 minutes ago, jellydog said:

As for replacing KUN maybe we will wait around for 10 year old Benjamin Aguero:

Father-Sergio Aguero

Grandfather-Diego Maradona

Godfather-Lionel Messi

If he turns out to be as good as his dad we might not have to wait around too long:

Agüero became the youngest player to play in the Argentine Primera División on his debut at 15 years and 35 days, breaking the record previously established by Diego Maradona. He's now played almost 750 club and international games scoring over 400 goals. 

On 10/30/2019 at 9:14 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

If he turns out to be as good as his dad we might not have to wait around too long:

Agüero became the youngest player to play in the Argentine Primera División on his debut at 15 years and 35 days, breaking the record previously established by Diego Maradona. He's now played almost 750 club and international games scoring over 400 goals. 

Didn't score on his first appearance in England, coming on as a sub at Bolton for Atletico Madrid. 2008, when Bolton dumped AM out of Europe. Those were the days.

5 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

0v1. 

1 shot 1 goal

All City.

Block after block.

We haven't really looked like scoring.

Going to be another one of those days.

You will turn it round. 
sadly for you, so will Liverpool probably. 

21 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Bredbury's evening just got ruined....excellent. :laugh:

Roaring Beach 2018 Pinot Noir Bredbury....from Tasmania I believe!

Wrong! ManU got beat. We got out of jail so I'm made up.

Jacobs creek chardonnay 2018 7/11!

Come on Everton!

Archived