The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, Jack Hna said:

Yeah I had a look at his stats too and I actually think he will do well providing he can just focus on playing football and not get dragged down by the lack of professionalism that surrounds the players right through the club from the board to the manager and so e of his team mates like captain kidnap.

Tremendous stats and still in absolute peak condition by all accounts. He is at least 2 years younger than zlatan was when he joined this outfit. He was outshone in the PSG team whilst zlatan was there, 3 full seasons played together Zlat got 121 goals and Cav got 81 but still very good.

Surprised no one else was onto him.

I was just watching a video at that time Zlatan played down the middle and Cavani played out more on the left, when Zlatan left Cavani had a pretty good season this guy does a pretty good job of explaining about Cavani

18 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I think his problem isn't lack of effort, it's that he's a luxury player who needs two insurance policies behind him to be effective. He doesn't have the mindset or awareness to be a true central midfielder. 

Although we both support the same team Rick, I can't agree entirely with that comment about "insurance policies".

A player who was signed for about £100 million should have the ability to do just about anything, including tracking back and have a level of fitness which is outstanding, and doesn't have to rely on "two insurance policies" behind him to be able to operate effectively.

Imagine the scenario where Pogba strikes up a good partnership with Matic, for example, and then Matic is injured and out for six weeks. Imagine also OGS saying to Woodward that United should expect some poor results over the next six weeks because Pogba won't be able to play as well as he could because of Matic's injury!!! 

Not on in my book, especially when you think of the players that United have had in the past who have been outstanding because of their own abilities, such as Cantona, Giggs, Best and Keane, not to mention Scholes whose distribution was great.

Then you have players like Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy, all capable of operating well under their own auspices, and also perhaps one of the greatest midfielders of all time in Dennis Bergkamp.......these players backed themselves and performed accordingly.

It has been rumoured that Pogba has wanted to leave for some time, so United should have let him go and gotten rid of this disrupting influence, not to mention a player who has not lived up to expectations in any way, shape, or form.

Just my six pennyworth!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Although we both support the same team Rick, I can't agree entirely with that comment about "insurance policies".

A player who was signed for about £100 million should have the ability to do just about anything, including tracking back and have a level of fitness which is outstanding, and doesn't have to rely on "two insurance policies" behind him to be able to operate effectively.

Imagine the scenario where Pogba strikes up a good partnership with Matic, for example, and then Matic is injured and out for six weeks. Imagine also OGS saying to Woodward that United should expect some poor results over the next six weeks because Pogba won't be able to play as well as he could because of Matic's injury!!! 

Not on in my book, especially when you think of the players that United have had in the past who have been outstanding because of their own abilities, such as Cantona, Giggs, Best and Keane, not to mention Scholes whose distribution was great.

Then you have players like Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy, all capable of operating well under their own auspices, and also perhaps one of the greatest midfielders of all time in Dennis Bergkamp.......these players backed themselves and performed accordingly.

It has been rumoured that Pogba has wanted to leave for some time, so United should have let him go and gotten rid of this disrupting influence, not to mention a player who has not lived up to expectations in any way, shape, or form.

Just my six pennyworth!

I did hear had it not been for this pandemic Pogba would have been wearing a Juve shirt he only has 2 years left on his contract and maybe he doesn't see any future in this squad he might feel let down no Sancho, a center back and Grelish only poundland signings he's looking after his own future maybe he wants to have the chance to win a Champions league medal 

32 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Just my six pennyworth!

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying build a team around Pogba. I'm saying I think he can only be really effective as a no 10, and we now have Bruno and VDB who can play there, so as far as I'm concerned we should start to build a team for after he leaves. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RickG16 said:

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying build a team around Pogba. I'm saying I think he can only be really effective as a no 10, and we now have Bruno and VDB who can play there, so as far as I'm concerned we should start to build a team for after he leaves. 

Mate your litter could not even build a sand castle on a rain swept beach.

Seriously kidda your deluded. Ask your butty man the score. He sees it for what it is. He ain't hiding from the absolute shambles your team has morphed back into.

48 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Maguire has proven himself to be a dumb kid rather than a proper pro footballer.

Busted flush he is now and on a long downward spiral.

The next Danny Drinklager.

The big price tag and all the hype made him believe he was something special. The Mykonos episode just verified what many thought already. He is dug himself a massive hole with his Albanian kidnap <deleted>-which he will end up in buried up to his massive forehead.  

His England place must already be in jeopardy. No one is telling

me he currently commands a place. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Kadilo said:

The big price tag and all the hype made him believe he was something special. The Mykonos episode just verified what many thought already. He is dug himself a massive hole with his Albanian kidnap <deleted>-which he will end up in buried up to his massive forehead.  

His England place must already be in jeopardy. No one is telling

me he currently commands a place. 

The lads the laughing stock of the dressing rooms. Heard greenwood likes to ask the lads if anyone fancies a kebab and this dumb <deleted> don't even get it. He's in a lot of turmoil with his folks as that fabrication perjures his sister and many family friends.

• Like 1

What is it Ole in or Ole out? I'll be honest I'm Ole in I feel he has been let down badly by those above him and so was Mourinio also Van Gaal, at least Ole got them playing the United way.

Right now Ole has to grow a pair and drop Pogba lets face it he never came back from the world cup you could say you dont know what you are getting with Pogba, you do know what you are getting and right now it's <deleted>.

Make Bruno captain and change to a back 5 for now stop leaking goals 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

A back 5 is hardly the utd way now is it!!

And even if they did have a back five, they would probably line up in the same format as that which leaked the goals, as they don't seem to have any tactical nous.

IMO the midfield needs to be strengthened in order to give the backline some cover, but again, if the backline hasn't got the sense on how to position itself, then there isn't a lot of hope.

Personally I would settle for someone in a holding midfield role, in front of the back line, allowing two other midfielders to do their stuff, and hopefully knowing when to push forward and when not to, and I always remember my old football coach telling me, "push forward by all means, but when it breaks down you think of nothing else other than getting back behind the ball".

And I agree with ChipButty, inasmuch as Pogba should be dropped to see if they can form a decent midfield without him because he doesn't add much to it now anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

A back 5 is hardly the utd way now is it!!

When a back 5 is more a back 3 with 2 very attacking wingbacks (3-5-2) it can actually be an attacking formation (think England at the World Cup, not so much last night).

Maguire looked a bit more comfortable and the midfielders might also benefit from the additional insurance behind them.

Transfer window is shut no and we have to make do with what we have. I certainly wouldn't be opposted to a 3-5-2 if it can get the best out of Telles, Fernandes etc while also shoring up the defence.

It might not be a long-term solution for United, but the back three worked well last season and while that was generally against big six sides, this current version of Solskjaer's team looks short of confidence and the extra protection could be vital.

Right now Solskjaer needs some results to try and get the momentum back. Reverting to a back three and playing with a degree of caution might be the best way of achieving that.

0_my_team_newcastle_vs_man-utd_201010.png

Just now, ChipButty said:

It might not be a long-term solution for United, but the back three worked well last season and while that was generally against big six sides, this current version of Solskjaer's team looks short of confidence and the extra protection could be vital.

Right now Solskjaer needs some results to try and get the momentum back. Reverting to a back three and playing with a degree of caution might be the best way of achieving that.

0_my_team_newcastle_vs_man-utd_201010.png

Why prolong his tenure? You like being a joke or something. You getting to comfortable with being mediocre?

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Exactly mate. I wouldn't be opposed to that. Could swap in Cavani + Martial for Greenwood + Rashford depending on form.

Don't bother with @Ronnie Pickering by the way. He's a dinosaur who spends his days scoffing down cold meat platters and going on other team's threads to discuss their formations. 

I normally dont 

Just now, RickG16 said:

Exactly mate. I wouldn't be opposed to that. Could swap in Cavani + Martial for Greenwood + Rashford depending on form.

Don't bother with @Ronnie Pickering by the way. He's a dinosaur who spends his days scoffing down cold meat platters and going on other team's threads to discuss their formations. 

And your fat lad rick who lives on moma noodles and your idea of a night out is sipping a leo outside your local 711 with your united shorts from 5 years ago and a Chang wife beater busting at the seams.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Herewe said:

Guy's, you need to get Poch in before your naughty neighbours beat you to it.

The quote was Noisy Neighbours and why do we need Poch? I dont think he ever  won anything as a player never mind as a manager 

10 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

The quote was Noisy Neighbours and why do we need Poch? I dont think he ever  won anything as a player never mind as a manager 

You are aiming too high pal. Your remit is to start competing again. Poch is a good choice to instill that. Getting over the line is a challenge you will have to risk together. Beats the current system hands down.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Steak n onion pie and a trip to the dentist later....not my favourite place. 

2 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Steak n onion pie and a trip to the dentist later....not my favourite place. 

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I think I'd take a trip to the dentist over watching the Nations League to be honest.

• Haha 1

Let's see if this crazy season continues this weekend, but I worry for Ole, he could very well also lose the next game against Newcastle.   The whole team need to show they belong in the top 4 or else Ole will be gone by Christmas. 

5 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I think I'd take a trip to the dentist over watching the Nations League to be honest.

You must have the heart of a mouse then cos lions support their country where you come from and if not mistaken you are an englishman. 

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

So come on then die hard fan who do you think should take the position? As fans you don't need to be silent and follow the papers just be a man and tell us who you think would be a good appointment?

Gents let's not pretend OGS was or will ever be a good manager and let's try to move forwards. As much as it is fun seeing you fail it's old now. 7 years since you won and never been close since. 

15 hours ago, ChipButty said:

He did a great job at Spurs, with a budget of magic beans. 

CL final that they might have won if they didn't come up against that team, at that time. 

Edited by BangrakBob
  • Like 1