The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

17 hours ago, RickG16 said:

@RedArmy @Sparkles can you give me any cause for optimism....?

Its dissapointing about Martial, but i think ETH will be forced to start Ronaldo now & he'll be hungry for goals for sure & to prove his doubters wrong - This could actually work in our favour. Brighton are without a couple of their best players. I think we will have a very comfortable afternoon & score at least 3 goals. 

2 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

i think ETH will be forced to start Ronaldo now & he'll be hungry for goals for sure & to prove his doubters wrong 

This is what I'm thinking / hoping mate. A couple of wins and some goals from Ronny and it will be a very different picture!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

This is what I'm thinking / hoping mate. A couple of wins and some goals from Ronny and it will be a very different picture!

Come to think of it, this could also backfire - He bangs in a hat trick & still decides that he wants out - A couple of clubs may take note of his performance & decide to sign him up before the transfer window closes.

I think United will sign this kid Sesko next week too.

8 hours ago, RedArmy said:

What a complete shambles - I'll hold my hands up, we were fuk in <deleted> -  Same same as last season - No change at  All - Brighton were the better team & deserved their victory - Gonna be a long hard season ahead.

McFred - Both gotta go - Bring in Gartner & Zidane.

Donny DvB - Absolutely useless - Will never make it at United.

Maguire - Drop this <deleted> ASAP.

Rashford - Overrated & overhyped  - Sell him or drop him  - Garnacho is twice as good as him - Start him next game.

Ronaldo - Sorry, but get rid of him ASAP -'Bring in Sesko

Dalot - Cannot defend - PLEASE PLEASE buy Dumfries from Milan.

LUKE SHAW - HTF is he starting over Malacia ???

IMO , we need FDJ - Anthony - Dumfries - Sesko & ANOTHER FORWARD to even resemble a decent 11.

Agree with most of that. It's plain to see now that we needed a proper clearout - 10 in, 10 out. So many of these players have only known failure the past few years. They immediately go into a default setting of being <deleted> scared. We needed a proper clearout to change the look and vibe of the team.

Only 2 things I would question pal - one, I really don't think we can boot Donny out without giving him a proper chance in his position (link up with De Jong could be good if that happens). And also, I just don't see us being able to bring in anyone with the same quality as Ronaldo for now, and so why not keep him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Because if his heart is not in it, as in playing for United, then regardless of how good a player he can be, his performances will be lacking.

Would love to be proven wrong, but in my experience, players lacking the will, desire and enthusiasm will not be an asset to the team, and they will damage team spirit.

I disagree, I actually think Ronaldo's ability and his pride at his own performances still make him a better option than many other strikers, even if his heart's not in it.

Long term, he needs to and will go, but for now he might help us.

Edited by RickG16

18 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Ronaldo on the bench - Looks like we are going down the false number 9 route.

best coach ever  .... Shaw, Maguire, Rashford, Fred in and Varane, Ronaldo, Lindloff, Elanga out, question, where did they find this guy, oh I get it at Ajax, what did he win,  Duch championship that's it

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RedArmy said:

What a complete shambles - I'll hold my hands up, we were fuk in <deleted> -  Same same as last season - No change at  All - Brighton were the better team & deserved their victory - Gonna be a long hard season ahead.

McFred - Both gotta go - Bring in Gartner & Zidane.

Donny DvB - Absolutely useless - Will never make it at United.

Maguire - Drop this <deleted> ASAP.

Rashford - Overrated & overhyped  - Sell him or drop him  - Garnacho is twice as good as him - Start him next game.

Ronaldo - Sorry, but get rid of him ASAP -'Bring in Sesko

Dalot - Cannot defend - PLEASE PLEASE buy Dumfries from Milan.

LUKE SHAW - HTF is he starting over Malacia ???

IMO , we need FDJ - Anthony - Dumfries - Sesko & ANOTHER FORWARD to even resemble a decent 11.

agree with you about 95% the remaining 5% is to keep Ronaldo .... at the end of last season I questioned why Shaw, Maguire, Fred, Rashford and Martial were not on the transfer list....here is the answer, average or below average players.... Brighton gave them a lesson how to build a team that fights to win

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Because if his heart is not in it, as in playing for United, then regardless of how good a player he can be, his performances will be lacking.

Would love to be proven wrong, but in my experience, players lacking the will, desire and enthusiasm will not be an asset to the team, and they will damage team spirit.

a guy like him is a winner and wants a team that plays and has good players as good as he is or close to it.... currently MU is a below average team, not many high quality players would like to be associated with an average or below average team..... imagine a 5 time balon d'or sharing the changing room and the pit with players like Maguire, Shaw, (selfish) Rahsford, big very big problem at MU it's players EGO

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 11:26 AM, RedArmy said:

Its dissapointing about Martial, but i think ETH will be forced to start Ronaldo now & he'll be hungry for goals for sure & to prove his doubters wrong - This could actually work in our favour. Brighton are without a couple of their best players. I think we will have a very comfortable afternoon & score at least 3 goals. 

Couldn't be a more disappointing start especially after a pre season which showed they were moving in the right direction and ETH's way of playing. That all blew up Sunday when a false 9 didn't work and Fred and McTominay chose to have their worst possible games. Without a functioning mid field you are never going to control a game. We even had to thank Brighton for providing our goal.

Preseason Sancho and Rashford played to their strength, running at fb's with pace, Sunday it was back to passing sideways or backwards. 

Brighton are a very good, well coached side, no big names but they have pattern of play that MU simply couldn't handle

To answer your question Rick the only positive I take is they have 37 more games to correct the defects but getting off to a good start was essential, the pressure already was on ,now its ramped up. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Couldn't be a more disappointing start especially after a pre season which showed they were moving in the right direction and ETH's way of playing. That all blew up Sunday when a false 9 didn't work and Fred and McTominay chose to have their worst possible games. Without a functioning mid field you are never going to control a game. We even had to thank Brighton for providing our goal.

Preseason Sancho and Rashford played to their strength, running at fb's with pace, Sunday it was back to passing sideways or backwards. 

Brighton are a very good, well coached side, no big names but they have pattern of play that MU simply couldn't handle

To answer your question Rick the only positive I take is they have 37 more games to correct the defects but getting off to a good start was essential, the pressure already was on ,now its ramped up. 

Sparkles has summed it up succinctly but let's not forget this is one game.

Of course it was disappointing and sadly there will possibly be more of the same in the future but let us not forget that we have been through this before if you look back through history and as the old saying goes "Every dog will have it's day".

Given time we will get rid of the Glazers, we will reinstate a fighting spirit, we will play attacking football and we we will establish a midfield that can control a game of football.

P.S. If you follow a team for over 67 years one always believes in the future and remember the past. "We Are United"

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RickG16 said:

And also, I just don't see us being able to bring in anyone with the same quality as Ronaldo for now, and so why not keep him. 

Here comes Marco Arnautovic to save the day, oh how the mighty have fallen.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Here comes Marco Arnautovic to save the day, oh how the mighty have fallen.

Consider this though.... If we'd have paid 50M for the next big thing, everyone would have said that we don't have enough leaders or characters in the team and we need more experience.

The truth is while we are playing <deleted> everything will be ridiculed.

Btw I don't believe the Arnutavic deal will go through 

• Like 1

Just now, BangrakBob said:

He can't be an alternative to De Jong and I don't think he will make a bit of difference to what you already have. 

That means you are saying Scott McTominay is a better player than Rabiot.

Congratulations on knowing nothing about football. 

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

That means you are saying Scott McTominay is a better player than Rabiot.

Congratulations on knowing nothing about football. 

I didn't say that, I said he wouldn't make a difference to what you have. Like you said you need a clear out to make a difference. Looks like he will fit right in though. 

All of Adrien Rabiot's 90min Player Ratings from last season in games he started... 5/10 6/10 6/10 6/10 5/10 6/10 5/10 6/10 2/10 5/10 3/10 4/10 4/10 7/10 3/10 6/10 4/10 4/10 6/10 9/10 6/10 6/10 5/10

An average of just over 5/10.

• Like 2

Just now, mrbojangles said:

Look at his stats.

in fact, look at what your very own Stephen  Howson thinks about him

https://www.facebook.com/MrStephenHowson

Howson is just a dude with a trendy beard and a camera. I'm not affiliated to him in any way.

If you are going to watch united fan channels at least watch good ones.

If Rabiot has been bought as a defensive mid, assists etc aren't that relevant 

OK lads good, you've put your cards on the table. You think Rabiot is <deleted>.

Personally I don't mind that signing, he's proven quality in an area it's not hard to make an improvement.

Arnautavic would be a different story....

But let's not forget our track record of turning 'bad boys' into club legends...... 'Le Enfant Terrible' springs to mind

23 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Howson is just a dude with a trendy beard and a camera. I'm not affiliated to him in any way.

If you are going to watch united fan channels at least watch good ones.

If Rabiot has been bought as a defensive mid, assists etc aren't that relevant 

Im not implying he's your best mate, just a United fan who has studied what hes talking about and he seems quite knowledgeable. If you listen to what he says, he's not talking about assists but passes and % completed passes which is key to a defensive mid

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

Im not implying he's your best mate, just a United fan who has studied what hes talking about and he seems quite knowledgeable. If you listen to what he says, he's not talking about assists but passes and % completed passes which is key to a defensive mid

I guess he'll know more than Ten Hag who sanctioned the transfer, or the qualified data analysts that would have studied him already.

<deleted> it... Ten Hag out Howson in I say 

• Haha 1