The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

7 minutes ago, champers said:

We started the original Football League before your lot even existed.

Oh yeah absolutely... While we're at it, let's give a shout out to those dudes who used to kick around an inflated pigs bladder in the 17th century.

I'd be all for a managerial team of Champers and Peter Kay. It's obvious all Harry Maguire is missing is a couple of pints of bitter to calm his nerves before kick off. 

1 hour ago, champers said:

One of the joys of the game is watching Penandez mince up to the ball when he takes a spot kick.

I honestly think it's unfair on the goalie and unsporting when he and others do the stutter. It's hard enough for the goalie in the first place but to have to put up with a stuttering run up as well before he can move on the line isn't right IMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Solskjaer is on the brink at Man Utd! Is it the brink of success or the brink of the sack? I dont know but that was the worst game I've seen for a long time, It was better watching the under 21's beat Spurs.

It seems like he is setting up the team not to lose, he should know better than anyone in the team thats not the United, I bet he was never told to do that by SAF,

I think the next month will decide his future, playing like that he will sack himself

No excuses now. He now has a squad of players that is the envy of most clubs. He's had time to get them playing as a unit, which they clearly didn't against West Brom and others. The buck stops with Ole, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I honestly think it's unfair on the goalie and unsporting when he and others do the stutter. It's hard enough for the goalie in the first place but to have to put up with a stuttering run up as well before he can move on the line isn't right IMO

'unsporting'? ... when you have the chance, pay a visit to planet Earth every now and then. The fact is there is nothing in the rules against it, so you expect the penalty taker to take pity on the goalie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

No excuses now. He now has a squad of players that is the envy of most clubs. He's had time to get them playing as a unit, which they clearly didn't against West Brom and others. The buck stops with Ole, I'm afraid.

That's true but common lads, if we were top of the table people would be saying that's a great type of win i.e. grinding out a result when not playing well.

Look at the table... it is so close and we are not far from getting back into the mix. Slaughter him when we don't win, but let's be happy we got away with one and onwards and upwards.

Question is will we see Cavani and VDB in midweek....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Look at the table... it is so close and we are not far from getting back into the mix.

Why aren't we top of the table now? We have the squad and both City and Liverpool are underperforming. This could have been our season if we'd hit the ground running.

10 minutes ago, polpott said:

Why aren't we top of the table now? We have the squad and both City and Liverpool are underperforming. This could have been our season if we'd hit the ground running.

Right now it can be a number of clubs that could win the league, Thats what is so annoying 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, polpott said:

None of us do. Fantastic news when he signed and an amazing start, but patience has its limits.

Do you agree the board didn't back him with the players he wanted? It felt like you cant have Harrlaand but we got you Cavani

14 minutes ago, polpott said:

It's not that simple, there is still a gap between us and City / Liverpool in terms of quality. And we were one of the teams which had no pre-season. When it comes to top level sport that does make a difference. Our first few games were essentially run outs to get match fitness. 

Try and take the emotion or any entitlement out of it and view it as how any organisation should be run. Do you really think getting rid of Ole at this stage would be beneficial? He has put some positive things in place so let's let him build on them. 

20 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

'unsporting'? ... when you have the chance, pay a visit to planet Earth every now and then. The fact is there is nothing in the rules against it, so you expect the penalty taker to take pity on the goalie.

I didn't say he should pity the goalie and I wouldn't expect a United fan to understand sportsmanship. As far as I am aware (I'll have to look it up) feinting or dummying is still illegal if the run up is complete and I think gets the taker a card. The stutter is still allowed as long as the run up isn't completed. It's a thin line between what is allowed and what isn't. The point I'm making is that they have enforced the law about the goalie having to stick to his line and I personally believe they should level it up a bit instead of giving the advantage to the taker. It's almost like it's illegal nowadays for a goalie to save it

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

I didn't say he should pity the goalie and I wouldn't expect a United fan to understand sportsmanship. As far as I am aware (I'll have to look it up) feinting or dummying is still illegal if the run up is complete and I think gets the taker a card. The stutter is still allowed as long as the run up isn't completed. It's a thin line between what is allowed and what isn't. The point I'm making is that they have enforced the law about the goalie having to stick to his line and I personally believe they should level it up a bit instead of giving the advantage to the taker. It's almost like it's illegal nowadays for a goalie to save it

So write to FIFA. Don't make this a United issue.

As for this "I wouldn't expect a United fan to understand sportsmanship" we have had our fair share of divers like any other team, but I don't think we are known as an unsporting side. Either now or in the past. Can't remember many biters, spitters or racists wearing our shirt. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

It's not that simple, there is still a gap between us and City / Liverpool in terms of quality. And we were one of the teams which had no pre-season. When it comes to top level sport that does make a difference. Our first few games were essentially run outs to get match fitness. 

Try and take the emotion or any entitlement out of it and view it as how any organisation should be run. Do you really think getting rid of Ole at this stage would be beneficial? He has put some positive things in place so let's let him build on them. 

I love Ole but is he really a serious football team manager? I was never in favour of him having the full time permenant mangers job, That said i will still support him and stand by him and the team. Always. But i thought Pochettino was the man for the long term job at Utd. 

Murhinio was never the manager for Man U and that decision still baffles me. By the same token i think the same situation exists at Spurs. The bus after a few trips in holding pattern round the car park will get parked up eventually. Leopards dont change their spots. 

14 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I think the goolie should have to stand behind the line

7 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

I love Ole but is he really a serious football team manager? I was never in favour of him having the full time permenant mangers job, That said i will still support him and stand by him and the team. Always. But i thought Pochettino was the man for the long term job at Utd. 

Murhinio was never the manager for Man U and that decision still baffles me. By the same token i think the same situation exists at Spurs. The bus after a few trips in holding pattern round the car park will get parked up eventually. Leopards dont change their spots. 

Well this is a rare sighting of the Snow Leopard...

So your point is Ole is rubbish and so is the manager who's team is top of the league and is arguably the greatest manager in modern history. 

26 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

So write to FIFA. Don't make this a United issue.

I didn't make this a United issue, you have. Read the posts before going on your red glasses rant. I was responding to champers about Fernandez mincing up to take the penalty and in my post (see below)  I specifically said "he and others" as I know it isn't only him who does it. People from lots of other teams do.

I honestly think it's unfair on the goalie and unsporting when he and others do the stutter

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

I didn't make this a United issue, you have. Read the posts before going on your red glasses rant. I was responding to champers about Fernandez mincing up to take the penalty and in my post (see below)  I specifically said "he and others" as I know it isn't only him who does it. 

I understood Champers' post to mean that he enjoyed it because Bruno has been missing them lately. 

58 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Well this is a rare sighting of the Snow Leopard...

So your point is Ole is rubbish and so is the manager who's team is top of the league and is arguably the greatest manager in modern history. 

Its a long season. So let time be the judge. I didnt say Ole was rubbish, i said in my opinion that i thought long term for me and in my humble opinion there was a better person for the job. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Its a long season. So let time be the judge. I didnt say Ole was rubbish, i said in my opinion that i thought long term for me and in my humble opinion there was a better person for the job. 

Who would that be?

On 11/22/2020 at 9:29 PM, RickG16 said:

Nice ride today Jonny? Good to see you found time to glance at the table. Serious football fan. 

Oh, I didn't get the memo that riding a motorcycle and being a serious football fan were mutually exclusive. My bad. I guess the likes of Beckham, Ibrahimovic and Ian Wright didn't get that one either ????.

Seriously though, it was good to see United get a result and move towards safety, the Premier league is much better for having United in it.

Another poor performance though. They'll need to improve. They don't seem too happy over at Redcafe either. I wonder if any of these guys are real fans?

image.png.739bc0cf002be9b6d6d39edc217c1e40.png

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Oh, I didn't get the memo that riding a motorcycle and being a serious football fan were mutually exclusive. My bad. I guess the likes of Beckham, Ibrahimovic and Ian Wright didn't get that one either ????.

Seriously though, it was good to see United get a result and move towards safety, the Premier league is much better for having United in it.

Another poor performance though. They'll need to improve. They don't seem too happy over at Redcafe either. I wonder if any of these guys are real fans?

image.png.739bc0cf002be9b6d6d39edc217c1e40.png

Good research. But pulling out 4 comments on RC isn't representative of all United fans I'm afraid. I'd say the fan base is about 50 / 50 Ole in / out right now.

You seem to enjoy the theme of United in a relegation battle. You did notice that City are below us in the table right? I wonder why you don't talk about them..... Simple... They aren't a big enough club to trouble the thoughts of a random bike dude. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Good research. But pulling out 4 comments on RC isn't representative of all United fans I'm afraid. I'd say the fan base is about 50 / 50 Ole in / out right now.

You seem to enjoy the theme of United in a relegation battle. You did notice that City are below us in the table right? I wonder why you don't talk about them..... Simple... They aren't a big enough club to trouble the thoughts of a random bike dude. 

And ARSENAL

28 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Manchester United predicted XI vs Istanbul Basaksehir: Henderson; Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Tuanzebe, Telles; McTominay, Van de Beek, Fernandes; Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani.

What do you guys think?

I think if VDB plays, Bruno will be rested and we might see Pogba.

Not sure Greenwood will come straight back in, I think he has a niggle or illness? I think Tunezabe deserves another go and it might be time for Rashford to sit out as he has been average to say the least recently.

On paper this was the easiest game in the group. We shouldn't have to play Bruno to beat them. Having said that I expect us to concentrate on not making any silly mistakes after what happened in the away game.

I expect a solid, slow and possibly frustrating start. Once we get the first I think we can exploit the gaps. 3-0 United. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

50/50? You're having a laugh. Go read the thread. REAL United fans seem to know exactly what the issues are, not some plastic cheerleader on ThaiVisa.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-west-bromwich-albion.459028/

City have Pep. They'll finish top 4.