The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Comon then Chip Butty what's your team for tonight? I believe Cavani is back. But still, I would go with....

DDG

AWB  Bailly Maguire Shaw

McT    Fred

Rashford Bruno Pogba

Martial

My reasoning is that I want to get the team right ahead of Liverpool. This is like a trial for Pogba (another one). If he plays like he did against Villa etc, he stays in the team for the scousers. If not, he can come out and Cavani can come in (Martial switches to the left or right). 

20 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Comon then Chip Butty what's your team for tonight? I believe Cavani is back. But still, I would go with....

DDG

AWB  Bailly Maguire Shaw

McT    Fred

Rashford Bruno Pogba

Martial

My reasoning is that I want to get the team right ahead of Liverpool. This is like a trial for Pogba (another one). If he plays like he did against Villa etc, he stays in the team for the scousers. If not, he can come out and Cavani can come in (Martial switches to the left or right). 

Up top Cavani is a certainty having served his three-match ban while Rashford and Martial should both start and be subbed early if the three points are secure.

0_share_85b1b0225612447808dad617f92b4f07.png

Edited by ChipButty

United are the only side still unbeaten away from home in the Premier League this season, winning six of their seven games so far. In total, they are unbeaten in their last 14 league games on the road, their longest run since January 2011.

In terms of early team news, Edinson Cavani is back following a three-game suspension while Paul Pogba, Victor Lindelof and Luke Shaw are also available having missed the weekend win through injury.

United are the only team in England praying covid restrictions remain in place to prevent spectators from watching them inside grounds. United are without doubt the best team in the world right now, no fans = no pressure and this suits united down to the ground. Covid has single handedly handed OGS a massive lifeline and is catapulting him into records books usually reserved for great managers.

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

But we stuffed them last week at their gaff. ????

I don't know whether he is trolling or not but he actually does raise an interesting point (perhaps unwittingly). Maybe this away win streak we've gone on wouldn't have happened if opposition fans had been there.

No fans + the packed schedule look like 2 things which are helping to level up the league and making it so interesting this season. 

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I don't know whether he is trolling or not but he actually does raise an interesting point (perhaps unwittingly). Maybe this away win streak we've gone on wouldn't have happened if opposition fans had been there.

No fans + the packed schedule look like 2 things which are helping to level up the league and making it so interesting this season. 

It's no coincidence your outfit play better behind closed doors and becoming shrinking violets under any semblance of pressure. 

The pussy factor shines right through from OGS to the dinner lady up front.

5 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

It's no coincidence your outfit play better behind closed doors and becoming shrinking violets under any semblance of pressure. 

The pussy factor shines right through from OGS to the dinner lady up front.

Who's the dinner lady?

Manchester United player ratings: Paul Pogba and Eric Bailly good vs Burnley

Man United are top of the Premier League in January for the first time since 2013 and here are how the players rated at Turf Moor.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-player-ratings-burnley-19613558

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

This is just how the table should look. The world is as it should be

No Rick. The table is always as it should be. The ones at the top have the most points and so they are the ones deserving. Or are you saying it's unfair that United haven't been on top for several years, even though you haven't had the most points?

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

No Rick. The table is always as it should be. The ones at the top have the most points and so they are the ones deserving. Or are you saying it's unfair that United haven't been on top for several years, even though you haven't had the most points?

In my world, this is how the table should look. I grew up with it looking this way. And it gives me a nice warm feeling with it looking this way again.

That's all. Not speaking for any other fans or even any other United fans. 

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

In my world, this is how the table should look. I grew up with it looking this way. And it gives me a nice warm feeling with it looking this way again.

That's all. Not speaking for any other fans or even any other United fans. 

I grew up in the Busby era and yes it's always been so since the seventh day when God created football.

• Like 1

I think one of Martial or Cavani plays vs Liverpool, especially if McFred will be the midfield pairing and Pogba plays forward.

It really is a tough call. Martial has history against the scousers, but something in me says Cavani will rise to the occassion.

What do we think lads?

Also another shout out to Bailly who was excellent vs Burnley. And let's not forget Luke Shaw sticking his head in where it hurts towards the end of the game.

13 hours ago, polpott said:

I grew up in the Busby era and yes it's always been so since the seventh day when God created football.

We'll there we have it folks, ManU go top for the first time in years and this lot cannot suppress their arrogance, their 'it's a devine right that ManU should always be top'.

I grew up following football during a period when ManU were NOT English Champions for TWENTY-SIX seasons from 1966/67 to 1992/93, and were also relegated in 1974 - a less than impressive period then. A quick look at Google tells me ManU also went 41 years between winning the title in 1911 and their next title in 1952. 

No team is continually the top team, NOT even your club!

Screenshot_20210114-144947_Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

We'll there we have it folks, ManU go top for the first time in years and this lot cannot suppress their arrogance, their 'it's a devine right that ManU should always be top'.

I grew up following football during a period when ManU were NOT English Champions for TWENTY-SIX seasons from 1966/67 to 1992/93, and were also relegated in 1974 - a less than impressive period then. A quick look at Google tells me ManU also went 41 years between winning the title in 1911 and their next title in 1952. 

No team is continually the top team, NOT even your club!

Screenshot_20210114-144947_Chrome.jpg

It's not about divine rights. To me, the table looks normal like that. It's almost like seeing a good friend for the first time in a few years. 

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Will he play a back 3? Shaw Maguire and Bailly, I would go with Cavani he could attack Liverpoo defense providing we play the right midfield and give him the supply, Im thinking he will play not to lose

Wouldn't surprise me to be honest. People complained that Ole has chopped and changed the formation too much, but what is does give us is unpredictability. 

Also note that Fred has had 2 games off now.... think he is gonna be absolutely raring to go!!!

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Wouldn't surprise me to be honest. People complained that Ole has chopped and changed the formation too much, but what is does give us is unpredictability. 

It's good to have different ways to play and the players are able to switch if needed

Just now, ChipButty said:

It's good to have different ways to play and the players are able to switch if needed

True, but there is something slightly disappointing about playing 3 at the back against the scousers. I'd like to see us go for a win... if a fully refreshed Fred + McT are chasing down everything in midfield, we might not need the extra CB. 

38 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

It's not about divine rights. To me, the table looks normal like that. It's almost like seeing a good friend for the first time in a few years. 

I guess it's a question of age. My teenage kids are only used to seeing City above ManU in the table.

28 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Maybe @wilaican give us some insight into the scouse perspective.

Will it be the usual front 3? And are Liverpool fans a little worried about this game considering form? 

Shaq may play a part (again) ???? so could be a 4-2-3-1 at some stage. As for CB's, No idea at the moment so a slight worry as neither Phillips nor Williams are the quickest. That may mean Hendo has to drop back again which doesn't help the midfield.

As they say; Form is temporary, Class is permanent so no more worried about youse than when we play any other deep lying defence. Hopefully Thiago can thread some balls through to the guys up front