The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

Just been shocked reading that the New Messiah (TM) played 366 games for ManU - i remember him as being an exceptional finisher but thought he was only at Old Trafford for a few seasons. Can anyone advise how many of those games did he start?

Not sure but he came in 1996 and stayed until 2007, officially, but his last seasons were severely curtailed by injury.

Actually @Bredbury Blue according to Wikipedia he made 235 appearances. 

2 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Where did you read that ? the Beano or Dandy and tipped by who ?

BBC Sport website, footy section. Shame Defoe went to Rangers. You might be able to get Crouchy up from Stoke. Aby would be all for it.

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

235 league

You're right... wiki must always be taken with a pinch of salt.

But yeah Solskjaer began playing when the likes of Gary Pallister were still in the team, and retired when guys like Evra and Vidic were plying their trade.

I actually like the fact he probably didn't achieve as much as he wanted during his time at the club (despite being a legend). It can make someone hungrier when they become a manager. Fergie's career was cut short through injury and it left him with unfulfilled ambition. I think Ole might be the same, and he has had his eye on this job for a number of years.

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Fellaini is set to be the first player sold under Solskjær with mufc ready to listen to offers for him - the club want around £15m for him so they can reinvest in the squad

Off to Spurs? Makeshift centre forward?

• Like 1

A bit of trivia but an indication of how poorly Mourinho managed Rashford and Martial during his time.

I think  most would agree they are the 2 players most blessed with speed and potential goal scorers. Well they only started, in the run on team, 15 times out of 93 games.

During Pogba's post match comments on Sky v Spurs he was asked what's changed ? and not mentioning the former manager he said "players are enjoying the team structure and the attacking intent and in fact in Dubai they had practiced the move that created the goal knowing the Spurs FB likes to get up field".If Pogba made that pass a 100 times in practice he couldnt have played a better ball.He also mentioned as a defensive midfielder he was not up to scratch. For the goal Lloris maybe could have done better,not the keeper he was IMO.

Pogba has also become a Dad.SAF used to like that more chance of players not falling out of nightclubs in the early hours of the morning. 

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

A bit of trivia but an indication of how poorly Mourinho managed Rashford and Martial during his time.

I think  most would agree they are the 2 players most blessed with speed and potential goal scorers. Well they only started, in the run on team, 15 times out of 93 games.

During Pogba's post match comments on Sky v Spurs he was asked what's changed ? and not mentioning the former manager he said "players are enjoying the team structure and the attacking intent and in fact in Dubai they had practiced the move that created the goal knowing the Spurs FB likes to get up field".If Pogba made that pass a 100 times in practice he couldnt have played a better ball.He also mentioned as a defensive midfielder he was not up to scratch. For the goal Lloris maybe could have done better,not the keeper he was IMO.

Pogba has also become a Dad.SAF used to like that more chance of players not falling out of nightclubs in the early hours of the morning. 

Sorry but Pogba and others while not playing for Mourinho also didn't play for the badge/club/you fans - shouldnt be brushed over!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Sorry but Pogba and others while not playing for Mourinho also didn't play for the badge/club/you fans - shouldnt be brushed over!

Nah they were all out of position which meant their legs were tied together ????

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Now make Pogba Captain

Not just yet. He may be a full back who's place in the side isn't assured, but Ash Young has shown way more in commitment and the right attitude over a long period of time. He's vocal and a good presence on the pitch as well is Ash.

Valencia I'm not so sure about, but I am sure that stripping someone of the captaincy at this stage in the season will do more harm than good. Just let Pog play well, without anything else to think about apart from helping us win games.

13 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You have to be picked to play, Mourinio orchestrated his own sacking, Having Pogba and Martial on the bench at Anfield was a disgrace and living in a hotel showed how long he was staying.

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Not just yet. He may be a full back who's place in the side isn't assured, but Ash Young has shown way more in commitment and the right attitude over a long period of time. He's vocal and a good presence on the pitch as well is Ash.

Valencia I'm not so sure about, but I am sure that stripping someone of the captaincy at this stage in the season will do more harm than good. Just let Pog play well, without anything else to think about apart from helping us win games.

OK I didnt mean now, end of the season

13 minutes ago, nev said:

You have to be picked to play, Mourinio orchestrated his own sacking, Having Pogba and Martial on the bench at Anfield was a disgrace and living in a hotel showed how long he was staying.

I always thought he was trying to work his ticket by pissing everyone off

• Like 1

Jose Mourinho speaks out on behind the scenes issues at Manchester United

Jose Mourinho appeared on BeIN Sports a month after he was sacked by Man Utd following their Premier League defeat to Liverpool.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jose-mourinho-news-next-job-15693001

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Jose Mourinho speaks out on behind the scenes issues at Manchester United

Jose Mourinho appeared on BeIN Sports a month after he was sacked by Man Utd following their Premier League defeat to Liverpool.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jose-mourinho-news-next-job-15693001

He is trying to say that the club did not back him against player power.  Yes, the club could have gotten rid of Pogba but what good would that do? 

The football was bad. You just have to reference Valdano statement of Mourinho's football during his spell at Real Madrid.The guy does not get it. Football has moved on from him.  People want to be entertained and by the way win.  He came to United as Mourinho and did not bother to understand the club and its culture. 

He thought he was invincible but we have seen greatest at work. 

I don't live in Manchester and I even got a jolt from the last few games. Mourinho failed to understand the meaning of the club to so many.  We don't just buy shirts.  We brought in to the whole thing and that is why it messed with people his football at the club.  Go away and reflect on these last 3 years and he might learn something.  I am just so happy it will no longer be at United.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

OK I didnt mean now, end of the season

I think it’s possible that he will be a Premier League Champion, Champions League winner, and FA Cup winner, which will pair nicely with his Europa League and World Cup medals. Possibly even a Euro winners medal. That would be an achievement that neither Ronaldo nor Messi are ever going to have. On a side note, how many players have winners medals from all major competitions?

Brighton have five players out, three automatic choices: Izquierdo (LW), Bernardo (LB), Ryan (GK) as well as stand ins Bissouma (M), Jahanbakhsh (RW). This means they lack pace upfront as Murray and Knockaert are relatively slow. It was the same vs Liverpool. Gives them a rather blunt and ineffectual attack. No need for Bailley to be in panic mode.

I think Brighton have lost their way a bit this season through injuries to key players and silly errors. Got 3 more points because they have tightened up on an appalling record at conceding set pieces, but not the six penalties conceded

14 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Now make Pogba Captain

Pogba is not captain material. he plays for himself.  He is a player you just give freedom to roam and let him get on with it, something that dear old Jose just couldn't grasp.

2 hours ago, nev said:

Come on...they weren't  on the bench always and they were probably  on the bench anyways for attitude rather than ability reasons. 

10 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Hello, how are you? There has been speculation regarding your disappearance after last Sunday. Nice to see you put on a brave face ????

Been on a holiday!!

Some games you just ain't going to win no matter how much you batter the opposition, as was highlighted on sunday night.  But of course if you saw the game you know that already.  I have no brave face to put on, although Dele and Kane need to take a look in the mirror and be made to look again at some criminal misses.

Gotta say though, if theres a better keeper in the world i haven't seen him!  Could end up being five out of the past six years your keeper is your player of the season!! i know for sure he's been awarded it four times. Rather than attempt a p*ss i'd spend the time absorbing that because without that lad between the sticks you really are very poor in defense.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nev said:

Absolutely correct and he managed to do it in time to spend christmas with his family.  Some of his tactical decisions were suicidal (Pogba and Martial on the bench, deploying a pivot of Fellaini and Herrera against Liverpool) and wreaked of an orchestrated effort to get sacked just like he did at Chelsea.  The bill at the Lowry was obscene and showed he came to the club with no real commitment.

He got away with it because there will always be an element of any support base that will make excuses no matter how great the p*ss take.

• Like 1