The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Can't wait for tomorrow got a new lease of life under Ole, No more drab football just go for it.

We can jump ahead of Arsenal and be three behind Chelsea in 4th with them both playing each other after us, Panning out to be a good Saturday nights football.

1 minute ago, nev said:

Can't wait for tomorrow got a new lease of life under Ole, No more drab football just go for it.

We can jump ahead of Arsenal and be three behind Chelsea in 4th with them both playing each other after us, Panning out to be a good Saturday nights football.

i think it's the renewed energy he's brought to the players more than anything.  And of course allowing them more freedom to play.  Mourinho rigid system is well suited to SerieA but when i look at the United squad i see a group of players simply unsuited to that and being allowed a more attacking approach just seems to have brought more enthusiasm.  All that said, i'm not sure whether the board give him the job full time in consideration of the cock ups they have made already.  They'll want the football he's trying to produce but with more experience.  It would be a shame but United is a very big club.

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

i think it's the renewed energy he's brought to the players more than anything.  And of course allowing them more freedom to play.  Mourinho rigid system is well suited to SerieA but when i look at the United squad i see a group of players simply unsuited to that and being allowed a more attacking approach just seems to have brought more enthusiasm.  All that said, i'm not sure whether the board give him the job full time in consideration of the cock ups they have made already.  They'll want the football he's trying to produce but with more experience.  It would be a shame but United is a very big club.

Bringing Ole in is about the only thing the board has done right in the last how many years?

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Bringing Ole in is about the only thing the board has done right in the last how many years?

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

In hindsight your not far wrong!!  And he's done exactly wanted was wanted of him.  What i'm not clear about is whether he is realistically under consideration for the permanent job because if he carries on getting the results he surely has to be and his inexperience can be countered to some degree with retaining the services of Phelan and some of the old back room he will know well.  Moyes did untold damage there!!!

23 minutes ago, nev said:

I'm looking forward to it too, but I can't help feeling we are missing a trick by not buying a centre back this January. The fact is we are still good for conceding a goal, and it may come back to haunt us. I think if it is done in the right way, buying a world class centre back doesn't have to unsettle the side, and could actually give us a chance in the Champions League.

5 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I'm looking forward to it too, but I can't help feeling we are missing a trick by not buying a centre back this January. The fact is we are still good for conceding a goal, and it may come back to haunt us. I think if it is done in the right way, buying a world class centre back doesn't have to unsettle the side, and could actually give us a chance in the Champions League.

Perhaps they are waiting to release the transfer funds to the new permanent manager?

It might well end up being Ole but he's going to have to earn it the hard way.  besides, how many "world class" center backs of the right age are currently available?

11 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Sorry, but can you qualify this....define what you mean by "chance in the champions league?"

'I don't think just anybody could have gone in and had that record': Brighton boss Chris Hughton praises Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's strong start as Manchester United manager

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6605095/Brighton-boss-Chris-Hughton-praises-Solskjaers-strong-United-start.html

He does sound a bit like me (and probably Nev also).

'68 was followed by a wonderful '74 wasn't  it so yes please.

Talking of player power, in the recent ManU in decline documentary that was on uk tv recently, Tommy Doc referred to the problems at the time (74 relegation) which are so similar  to now. Busby had retired, some players needed to be moved on (comb-over and Law), Best couldn't get it together and there were snakes (Crerand and i think Morgan were mentioned). It is so similar which is why RedNev is saying the club needs to reset and why Mourinho has come out this week about how bad it is behind the scenes. Unfortunately it is easier for some of you just to take the easy option of blaming it all on Moyes, dutchie and Maureen. The CLUB needs a complete overhaul. But Ollie will save the day...i really hope you appoint him fulltime.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

No, but they beat a Barca team in the semis with Messi, Iniesta and  Xavi that had been dominating Europe. 

It's going to be worse than a Jack the Ripper murder scene when those boys are done cutting through your defense. 

Just now, BangrakBob said:

It's going to be worse than a Jack the Ripper murder scene when those boys are done cutting through your defense. 

Depends if we cut through theirs first. We'll be better than the tripe they are used to in Ligue 1.

You are doing a good job of distracting yourself from the task in hand Bob. Keep it up.  How many years has it been again? ????

19 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Depends if we cut through theirs first. We'll be better than the tripe they are used to in Ligue 1.

You are doing a good job of distracting yourself from the task in hand Bob. Keep it up.  How many years has it been again? ????

it won't depend on what you do, Ligue 1 has nowt to do with it. 

29 years I think, happy to discuss it or anything else on the LFC thread. No ones really arsed there these days, so I ride out the lull pissing my sides at your lot on here.

a few months ago, all you ever heard was it's about results not how you get them, Jose is playing you all for fools, there is no issue with him and the team. When we said the opposite, Now you are all saying the opposite,

I have to say you <deleted> hid it well how down and depressed you truly were with how it was going. You're all jumping around like giddy school girls now. The delusion is palpable. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

No ones really arsed there these days, so I ride out the lull pissing my sides at your lot on here.

You need to get @Rc2702 involved again.

10 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

a few months ago, all you ever heard was it's about results not how you get them, Jose is playing you all for fools, there is no issue with him and the team. When we said the opposite, Now you are all saying the opposite,

No, I think most of us, for a long time, respected Jose and his track record and genuinely wanted him to succeed. We wanted to believe that it would come good. 

• Like 1

I think this will be a truer reflection of where we're at than Tottenham which was basically Ole springing a nice tactical surprise first half, which got us the platform to then defend a lead, and then 45mins of Tottenham shooting practise. 

Brighton have always made us work hard for points, it's always a physical and tough game and it'll be interesting to see how hungry the players are for this. On paper we should run rampant but I expect a bit a of a slog with them setting up like Newcastle