The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

guys,

would you allow me a daft question or two

I'm Norwegian, not particularly interested in football, I watch some world championship matches every 4 years.

I have problems understanding why OGS enjoys the popularity he does.

In my job before, I constantly travelled the planet. All over Africa, all over South America and Pacific and Asia,

not to mention Europe, for years and years.

Remotest small places in Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Viet Nam.

You know, idle bar talk, the odd exchange of words with a pump attendant or hotel receptionist, whatever.

Where are you from? America? Germany? No, I am from Norway.

Ahhh! broad smile Ole Gunnar Solskjaer!!! Happens all over the planet.

He is the most famous Norwegian ever, hands down.

We were first on the South Pole, first on the North Pole, first through the NorthWestPassage,

have some pretty famous authors. they are all peanuts compared to OGS.

As far as I gather he is a likeable chap.

He is (was) a reasonably good football player, but never close to a godsend.

What is it that makes him so incredibly popular?

(I'm at a loss here really, would be happy with any light shed.)

I think in Manchester... and England generally... the players and people who are most loved aren't always the very very best at what they do. They are usually very good players, who are also quite humble and go about their business with a smile. That's valued in England maybe above all else.... and is maybe a very English thing?

Also it doesn't hurt scoring the goal that won us the European Cup, and the Treble!

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many selection problems ???? I know good problems to have and all that... but if we played PSG tomorrow who is the front 3?

For me Rashford and Lingard have made themselves undroppable over the last 8 games. Alexis and Lukaku both put in great performances last night. Then there is Martial (sorry Juan). I would say Lukaku edges it but to be honest there are elements to his performance I didn't like last night... the strops when things don't work out as planned, not celebrating with Jessie when he scored, and demanding the free kick before blazing it over. I'd like to say Alexis should play but that's quite a small front 3. 

Other than that, it's good that our midfield 3 is settled, and our defence semi-settled. That's the way it should be. The place where you want more rotation / intense competition for places is the front 3 IMO

32 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I think in Manchester... and England generally... the players and people who are most loved aren't always the very very best at what they do. They are usually very good players, who are also quite humble and go about their business with a smile. That's valued in England maybe above all else.... and is maybe a very English thing?

Also it doesn't hurt scoring the goal that won us the European Cup, and the Treble!

right, ta

I see that humble and smile point, reckon Solskjaer matches that

2 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

right, ta

I see that humble and smile point, reckon Solskjaer matches that

Thinking about it further as I do some cooking..... at United we've always had an affection for players who score important goals, or do well against our enemies. For example Diego Forlan is still sung about because he played well against Liverpool.... regardless of the fact he was average for a lot of the time!

But of course with Ole, aside from being a very good player, he was tremendously loyal (turned down a move away), and was a brilliant servant to the club.

That's about it I think ! 

34 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

So many selection problems ???? I know good problems to have and all that... but if we played PSG tomorrow who is the front 3?

For me Rashford and Lingard have made themselves undroppable over the last 8 games. Alexis and Lukaku both put in great performances last night. Then there is Martial (sorry Juan). I would say Lukaku edges it but to be honest there are elements to his performance I didn't like last night... the strops when things don't work out as planned, not celebrating with Jessie when he scored, and demanding the free kick before blazing it over. I'd like to say Alexis should play but that's quite a small front 3. 

Other than that, it's good that our midfield 3 is settled, and our defence semi-settled. That's the way it should be. The place where you want more rotation / intense competition for places is the front 3 IMO

Cast your mind back to when Ollie played for us. WE would start with Cole and York up front then Sir Alex would substitute them for Sheringham and Solskjaer in the second half. Defenders couldn't adjust and it won us many a game. Remember the Champions League final?

Solskjaer has the luxury of doing just that, as he did against Arsenal. Lukaku and Sanchez started, to be replaced by Marital and Rashford. Marital promptly scored.

Personally, I would probably start with Marital and Rashford against PSG, maybe he did it the other way round yesterday because it was only Arsenal.

13 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Personally, I would probably start with Marital and Rashford against PSG, 

Yeah I think he might do that mate. Plus Jessie. Obviously there is the French connection with Martial which might motivate him. 

14 hours ago, carmine said:

Excellent by United.  Ceded possession and looked to have a very sound tactical game plan..  Thats a weak defense at best that cannot cope being attacked with pace.  Ole just seems to be doing the opposite to everything Mourinho did!!!

I think we can all acknowledge now that the transformation is well under way. Ole's doing very well.

If you can't see through this from Carmine, let me explain.... he knows the better Ole does, the more chance he has of being appointed, and the less chance there is we will take Pochettino.

I guess that's just life if you support a club lower down the food chain. But of course they are moving into a new stadium soon, so everything will be fine ????

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

1999 CL cemented him as a legend, add the fact the lad spent his whole career coming off the bench to do a job for one club is what made him special. The fact that he didn't moan, didn't look for a starting position elsewhere. He was a game changing goal machine, from the bench and he did it selflessly. 

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

If you can't see through this from Carmine, let me explain.... he knows the better Ole does, the more chance he has of being appointed, and the less chance there is we will take Pochettino.

I guess that's just life if you support a club lower down the food chain. But of course they are moving into a new stadium soon, so everything will be fine ????

You are making a fool of yourself mate.

He also got a nickname Baby Faced Assassin and he contributed to lots of game changing moments when he came of the bench and scored 4 goals,

His numbers aren’t the best you might have seen, but his impact at crucial times made him a cult hero. One such instance occurred in April 98 when the score was at 1-1. United were pushing for a winner. The ball broke from a United corner and Newcastle player Rob Lee was through on goal. Ole tried to track him back but ended up with a cynical foul. He was rightly red carded but what followed made him a cult figure at United. It was a rare sight. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was applauded off the field for getting a red card. Who would have thought?

He wasn’t supposed to be where he ended up. United were supposed to get Shearer. But he outstayed players costlier than him and more talented than him. He wasn’t the fastest but as they say sometimes the game is played in a small space in your head and boy was he good to be aware of where one had to be as a striker and make the biggest impact.

WhatsApp-Image-2018-08-28-at-14.10.21.jpeg

Another of your fellow country man Ronny Johnsen

Ronny Johnsen

Johnsen in 2017

Personal information

Full name Jean Ronny Johnsen

Date of birth10 June 1969 (age 49)

Place of birth Sandefjord, Norway

Height1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)

Playing position Centre back
Defensive midfielder

Youth career

Sem

Stokke

Senior career*

Years Team Apps (Gls)

1987–1991Eik-Tønsberg98(24)

1992–1993Lyn31(7)

1994–1995Lillestrøm23(4)

1995–1996Beşiktaş22(1)

1996–2002Manchester United99(7)

2002–2004Aston Villa49(1)

2004–2005Newcastle United3(0)

2005–2008Vålerenga59(6)

Total 384(50)

National team

1991–2007 Norway62(3)

* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only

Jean Ronny Johnsen (born 10 June 1969) is a Norwegian former footballer who played at both professional and international levels as a centre back or defensive midfielder.

Johnsen played club football in Norway, Turkey, and England for Sem, Stokke, Eik-Tønsberg, Lyn, Lillestrøm, Beşiktaş, Manchester United, Aston Villa, Newcastle United and Vålerenga.

He was capped 62 times for Norway, and competed at the 1998 FIFA World Cup.

Henning Berg who became the first player to win 2 League titles with different clubs, Man United and Blackburn

Joshua King who started life with MU but now at Bournemouth doing well bye all accounts

signed by Manchester United from Vålerenga in 2008.

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Ronny Johnsen

And Henning Berg who won the title with Blackburn 94-95 and the triple with United 98-99.

He became the first player in the PL to win the title with 2 clubs. 

11 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

1999 CL cemented him as a legend, add the fact the lad spent his whole career coming off the bench to do a job for one club is what made him special. The fact that he didn't moan, didn't look for a starting position elsewhere. He was a game changing goal machine, from the bench and he did it selflessly. 

Sums it up very well. 

Always good to see the young guys doing well 

Liverpool U18s 2-3 Manchester United U18s highlights as Mason Greenwood nets brace in Premier League Cup quarter-final 

Beating Liverpool at any level is good

Meanwhile, United's under-23s enjoyed a superb win that was buried under the senior team's win at Arsenal

Ricky Sbragia's team needed a three-goal win to stay in the Premier League International Cup and that is exactly what they achieved, as Tahith Chong scored twice in a 3-0 victory over PSG.

Ok so what is the verdict?

Stay with Solskjaer or appoint a new box end of the season?

If staying with Solskjaer what length of contract will show commitment from the board or do you think a 2 year contract given his lack of experience is the right option?

31 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Ok so what is the verdict?

Stay with Solskjaer or appoint a new box end of the season?

If staying with Solskjaer what length of contract will show commitment from the board or do you think a 2 year contract given his lack of experience is the right option?

If he gets a contract at all it will be for 12 months. Unfortunately, I suspect that the board will want a big name.

24 minutes ago, Spidey said:

If he gets a contract at all it will be for 12 months. Unfortunately, I suspect that the board will want a big name.

Progress in the CL will be a big factor, but then again even if we go out and keep winning  the in the league it will be hard not to give it to him.

With the fan mood right now, there would be protests if Ole didn't get the job. But there's a long way to go from now til the end of the season.

17 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Progress in the CL will be a big factor, but then again even if we go out and keep winning  the in the league it will be hard not to give it to him.

With the fan mood right now, there would be protests if Ole didn't get the job. But there's a long way to go from now til the end of the season.

PSG is a big ask. One of the top 3 clubs in the world. Need a rock solid defence to have any chance against them. No disgrace to go out to PSG, I'd be happy with a decent performance.

Top 4 finish has to be Ole's aim although FA Cup would be a nice reward for him. It would be an unforgettable moment for him to lead the team out at Wembley.

When has the board taken any notice of the fans?

Manchester United fans change Mauricio Pochettino stance after Tottenham FA Cup exit

Pochettino's Tottenham were knocked out of the FA Cup by Crystal Palace.

Pochettino is doing a great job at dampening down the United job rumours

Poch has done a great job at Spurs on a comparatively shoestring budget compared to most other big clubs.

He has probably over achieved in a sense but I can't help having a nagging doubt about the guy.

If he was appointed at United he would come with huge pressure...everyone would say he's never won anything and that pressure would mount if he didn't start well...could he handle that?

We shouldn't appoint Ole on sentimental reasons or because he would be the cheaper option but I think every Red has been pleasantly surprised in the fact that he hasn't just lifted us from the doom and gloom with a happy smiling face - both he and Phelan are proving to be tactically astute.

We are now looking to create and exploit every chance without compromise and less onus on the defence to hold onto a 1-0 score.

Nobody would hold it against Ole if we didn't achieve top 4 or win a Cup but if we continue to play on the front foot and improve as the season goes on he would make it very difficult not to get offered the permanent job.

6 hours ago, smedly said:

Palace - Spurs 2-0 lol anyone else find that funny :post-4641-1156694572:

I now know why their stadium is taking so long their has been a cock up someone has added a trophy room and the whole plans had to be ammended.

The rumours about Pochettino coming to United are just that rumours driven by the media.

I would suggest its most likely Pochettino will stay where he is and be proud what he has achieved so far and to lead the club onto the new ground. Added to that, and the most important factor, no way will Levy want to let him go and why should he with a contract in place.

If OGS continues to show the tactical nous he has shown to date and get results what better choice is out there.I cant see one.

The winning run will end at some time but the whole club has been given a lift and there is a ripple effect right through all the other teams as recent results show.

To be fully ready for next years no matter the position I hope they don't leave the decision until after the season.

Molde will need to agree OGS departure, don't expect that to be a problem with a financial settlement but most importantly players need to leave Valencia,Fellani,Darmien,Mata,Jones,among them and some like Mc Tominay need to go out on loan ,he's virtually wasted a whole season.

Bailly and Lindelof looked a promising combination albeit only one game together and 21 yr old Tuanzebe is getting great reviews, on loan at Villa, who they believe can be a future CB.he's working under John Terry.

If Dalot ,Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw could work you have a long term backline and with some astute younger signings the good times could roll again.

Archived