The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Onside or offside. Armpit or knee offside. It's way too difficult currently.

The offside law states that a player is in an offside position if any of their body parts, except the hands and arms, are in the opponents' half of the pitch, and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent.

Change it to the following which will make it easier to judge if onside or offside, and if unclear if onside or offside then rule its onside (i.e. give the advantage to the attacking team as we want to see goals):

a player is in an offside position if the position of the player's head, is in the opponents' half of the pitch, and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the

position of the head of the second-last opponent.

Yeah decided by refs to protect their fellow refs and Linos, but that effort today against Villa for me was another level. Manipulating the technology to give the wanted outcome is setting a scary precedent. Firmino was onside, they changed that with editing, <deleted> madness.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, wilai said:

Chris Kamara on 'Goals on Sunday' re: Firmino's 'goal' yesterday...'this has been made up by somebody at Stockley Park who has decided they don't want this to be a goal'...'somebody has decided that and they should be outed because that is not offside'.

Let's hope so!

You're not helping yourself here by quoting Chris Kamara. 

34 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Without VAR he was off side wasn't he? i.e. the lino had flagged him off side. So without VAR it wouldn't have stood either

Agreed, and the decision was wrong. Was the perfect opportunity for VAR to prove it's worth. Unfortunately, it only served to prove it's fallibility. The biggest concern is the possible 'doctoring' of the views.

INCIDENT: With Aston Villa 1-0 up, VAR got involved as Sadio Mane found Roberto Firmino to tap home at the far post. The assistant instantly raised his flag and VAR judged the Liverpool man to be just inches the wrong side of the line with his arm-pit millimetres ahead of the play.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: Correct call. Clubs can have no argument about the technology used.

DERMOT SAYS: The technology has said it's offside. It's as accurate as possible. Everybody signed up to the technology, everybody knows there is no latitude in offside decision. It's either offside or onside. There's no debate. The lines favour the defender in this instance so it's offside.

Two competitive games in 24 hours (1st time ever) and just to make it interesting, in two different continents. The price of success! Wonder if JK will make both of them?

As for last night. Nothing special although AOC staked a claim for the weekend. Three points home to Napoli next time will see us group winners.

22 minutes ago, wilai said:

Two competitive games in 24 hours (1st time ever)

You mean for Liverpool right?

It'll be no problem for Liverpool but a right pain for the fan who never misses a game.

Beeb:

"In April, Venezuelan club Deportivo Lara played two matches in the space of six hours - one of which was in the Copa Libertadores - and won both.

On the same day, Venezuelan side Zamora played two fixtures 4,000 miles apart, losing 4-0 at Deportivo La Guaira in the league and 3-2 at Brazilian side Atletico Mineiro in the Copa Libertadores.

Arsenal and Manchester United played on consecutive days in November 2001. The Gunners lost 4-2 to Charlton in the Premier League on 4 November and on the same day United were beaten 3-1 by Liverpool at Anfield, also in the league. On 5 November, Arsenal beat United 4-0 in the League Cup.

And in November 1987, striker Mark Hughes played for Wales and Bayern Munich in two countries on the same day."

2 hours ago, wilai said:

Two competitive games in 24 hours (1st time ever) and just to make it interesting, in two different continents. The price of success! Wonder if JK will make both of them?

As for last night. Nothing special although AOC staked a claim for the weekend. Three points home to Napoli next time will see us group winners.

One match in Liverpool the other in Doha, 2 competitions, incredible really.

I reckon JK and most the senior team will go to Doha. Pep and mostly 23's take on the mighty Villa, any remaining seniors or squad head to Doha next day?

Imagine the fume when we win both then snatch the CWC and head home just in time for Boxing Day <deleted> up at Leicester!

11 minutes ago, wilai said:

In Brum mate.  You going to Doha?

Oh right

Yeah finally Liverpool hit the Middle East for a massive match and we move to Australia 3 months too early...I did try and hang on, but not to be, headless.

5 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

and we move to Australia 3 months too early

I remember you're from woolyback land so hope you've moved to a rugby league area and not have to endure that <deleted> aussie rules nonsense. I lived there in the pre-internet days, no English football on tv, dash down to the newsagents on saturday morning to ensure i got my British Soccer Weekly newspaper to keep up with the footie (old news by the time it was in BSW), so following league was a good standin for me and of course league is huge there.

10 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I remember you're from woolyback land so hope you've moved to a rugby league area and not have to endure that <deleted> aussie rules nonsense. I lived there in the pre-internet days, no English football on tv, dash down to the newsagents on saturday morning to ensure i got my British Soccer Weekly newspaper to keep up with the footie (old news by the time it was in BSW), so following league was a good standin for me and of course league is huge there.

Yes I am a wool, but my parents emigrated us to Oz when I was 10, so I know the place very well. Spent most of the past 20 years in Manchester, Samui and Middle East. 

Yeah it was the same era for me, I was shocked when we first arrived, "football" was rugby league and soccer was for "poofs" I think it was ABC tv on a Monday you got highlights for 30 minutes. I did get in to league a lot as a kid, no choice really, but coming from the North and my family it was easy enough to get in to. Not arsed with it now though, meat heads charging at each other being cheered on by "deros" ????

Club football was a great here, it was a tight community, a mix bag of expats or second third generation foreigners. I still maintain friendships here that came through football. 

On 11/11/2019 at 1:37 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

So Bob and Wilai, what's your take on last night's game?

Seriously, I thought it was a good game, 2 teams of the highest order in the same era is a pleasure to witness. I don't like all the controversy with VAR it takes away from the spectacle. 

There is something about our team now that I've not seen before and it is a feeling that we can always win no matter what the situation. You don't fret as a fan anymore, there is a level of football mentality in this team I've not seen for years. They are so good unless they are playing United. 

I hope the loss ruins City like it did Spurs and Barcelona momentarily, but I doubt that will happen, expect a reaction. 

Pep screaming to the Gods was a highlight. 

On 11/13/2019 at 8:32 AM, BangrakBob said:

Seriously, I thought it was a good game, 2 teams of the highest order in the same era is a pleasure to witness. I don't like all the controversy with VAR it takes away from the spectacle. 

There is something about our team now that I've not seen before and it is a feeling that we can always win no matter what the situation. You don't fret as a fan anymore, there is a level of football mentality in this team I've not seen for years. They are so good unless they are playing United. 

I hope the loss ruins City like it did Spurs and Barcelona momentarily, but I doubt that will happen, expect a reaction. 

Pep screaming to the Gods was a highlight. 

There was a similar discussion on the radio re the mentality. 

Some of the pundits were saying that the game was over at half time because nowadays you just know they won’t throw away that kind of situation. The amount of late goals is no co incidence either when teams come and attempt to park the bus. They seem to just know it’s only a matter of time. 

• 2 weeks later...

We do like to make life difficult for ourselves. Disappointing first 40 mins but improved after that without creating too many good chances. Salah still looks to be feeling his injury although he did last the 90. Salzburg are a good side with lots of goals in them so the final game is no walk in the park.

Hopefully Fabinho's knock isn't too serious. Due to miss the Brighton game anyway but don't want him out against the trickies!

In other news, the kids warmed up for the League Cup by beating their Italian rivals 7-0....Beware Villa!????

3 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Alisson is the first Premier League goalkeeper to be sent off for committing handball since 11 February 2015, when his replacement Adrián was sent off for West Ham United against Southampton.

At least Alisson got a clean sheet!☹️

30 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Is Adrian related to Bravo

,???? It should have been an indirect free kick to us as they had a man in the wall.

Martin Atkinson doing his best AGAIN to foil us. Such a <deleted>house. He's on VAR for the Derby next week. ????

45 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

,???? It should have been an indirect free kick to us as they had a man in the wall.

Martin Atkinson doing his best AGAIN to foil us. Such a <deleted>house. He's on VAR for the Derby next week. ????

Very good spot Bob. Shame VAR didn't step in. Ref watch might be interesting on Monday. I wonder if Stephen Warnock is on #twitter? Might send him a message????

I know quick free kicks have always been legit but you'd have thought a ref would allow a keeper who had just come on, time to sort things out. Dunk admitted after the game that he asked AM whether he could take it, AM told him "yes" and blew his whistle as he kicked the ball....all the while looking at Adrian and knowing he was well out of position. Like I said, probably a legit decision technically but certainly not a fair application of the laws....but then I wouldn't expect Atkinson to be fair where we are concerned.

Anyway we found yet another bizarre way to win 2-1 so no harm done (apart from losing me VVD's clean sheet points in FPL).????

Archived