The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

On 10/21/2019 at 11:29 AM, wilai said:

On another issue, has anybody seen a bigger wimp than Daniel James? On the back of his admitted 'feigning' concussion for Wales he went down for five minutes cos he was allegedly 'winded'. Even Utd players didn't put the ball out so they obviously know him well!

this was the best part of that match...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Won 4-1. Decent attacking performance against a spirited if limited Belgian side. Cracking 2nd goal from AOC which should boost his confidence enormously. Salzburg away will be quite tough as they were v unlucky to lose to Napoli whose keeper played a blinder.

Experimental midfield with AOC and Keita did leave gaps which could have been exploited by a better side so I doubt it will be used on a regular basis. Prefer one or the other alongside Fabinho and one of Gini/Hendo/Milner against the 'Park the Bus' teams with the usual 3 playing against stronger sides.

Kids won 2-0 as well in the UEFA Youth Tournament.

Two Liverpool fans missed their side's Champions League win over Belgian side Genk on Wednesday - because they travelled to Ghent by mistake.

Rob, from London, and Lee, from Leicester, spent around £200 each on train and match tickets only to mistakenly end up 95 miles from where the match was being played.

"When we arrived we didn't see any Liverpool supporters, which kind of aroused our suspicions," Rob told BBC Sport.

"Then we were sitting having dinner about an hour before kick-off and we said to one of the waiters, who was a Gent supporter, 'we are playing you guys tonight' and he went 'no you're not', and that was when we realised the error of our ways.

"We'd had a few beers so driving wasn't possible. Even if we jumped in a cab it was 150 kilometres away so that sealed our fate I'm afraid."

Doh!

5186848_orig.jpg

Poch really needs a contingency for when histrionics and whining don't get you an advantage, they should spend more time trying to use the ball instead of trying to get opposition players carded. Score flattered Spurs, but they nearly got away with it. 

Fabinho was incredible again, Lovren is a worry, Hendo got away with it again. 

As an aside that dirty twate Choudhury should still be suspended for the assault on Salah 3 weeks ago. 

On 10/25/2019 at 4:39 PM, wilai said:

Looks like Nike kits from next season. NB lost their Court case against LFC. There may be an appeal so not 100% certain as yet.

Application to appeal dismissed....so Nike it is.

Buggers won't give up! The've appealed anyway!

The Mirror reports that Klopp is threatening to pull Liverpool out of the Carabao cup if the quarter final date is not changed to a date more to his liking because of fixture congestion.

That's unacceptable in my opinion.

You request a date change but if you don't get it you still play the fixture. Play your kids. Pellegrini had to play 7 kids vs Chelsea away in the FA Cup as we had Real in the CL days later. I never agreed with ManU being allowed to sit out the FA cup one season.

If you are successful you will get alot of fixtures to fulfil which sometimes is not to your liking or can be a disadvantage -PLAY THEM ALL.

Thoughts?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-makes-fixture-demand-17175314

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The Mirror reports that Klopp is threatening to pull Liverpool out of the Carabao cup if the quarter final date is not changed to a date more to his liking because of fixture congestion.

That's unacceptable in my opinion.

You request a date change but if you don't get it you still play the fixture. Play your kids. Pellegrini had to play 7 kids vs Chelsea away in the FA Cup as we had Real in the CL days later. I never agreed with ManU being allowed to sit out the FA cup one season.

If you are successful you will get alot of fixtures to fulfil which sometimes is not to your liking or can be a disadvantage -PLAY THEM ALL.

Thoughts?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-makes-fixture-demand-17175314

You can't really use your example as you were not playing in the Club World Championship in Qatar at Christmas also,  and Liverpool are and that is why it's suggested. Klopp has never said this in the circumstances similar to what you are suggesting.

I can give you an example of a team in the same situation and that was United in 1999, and it was approved by the FA and in fact encouraged as a good thing for British football. So they pulled out.

You might not be aware but it's another big deal trophy. 

We're already playing the kids in the cup (5 starters incl 16/17 yr olds plus 2 subs last night for example. Only experienced player on the bench was the keeper 

The fact is that we are in Qatar when the 1/4 final is scheduled and the next available midweek date is the date when the semi-final is due to be played so there are actually no dates available at the moment . We already have to re-arrange the West Ham game although this can take place towards the end of the season

Hopefully an equitable solution can be found but it may include postponing the semi which obviously will affect someone else or, playing a match during the winter break which (a). may not be allowed and (b). I doubt JK or anyone else would want.

IMO JK was right to publicise the issue immediately and not after the event when dates etc are announced. 

1 hour ago, wilai said:

We're already playing the kids in the cup (5 starters incl 16/17 yr olds plus 2 subs last night for example. Only experienced player on the bench was the keeper 

The fact is that we are in Qatar when the 1/4 final is scheduled and the next available midweek date is the date when the semi-final is due to be played so there are actually no dates available at the moment . We already have to re-arrange the West Ham game although this can take place towards the end of the season

Hopefully an equitable solution can be found but it may include postponing the semi which obviously will affect someone else or, playing a match during the winter break which (a). may not be allowed and (b). I doubt JK or anyone else would want.

IMO JK was right to publicise the issue immediately and not after the event when dates etc are announced. 

I agree with what you say, and we've been in similar situations and nobody wants to have to play a weakened to team and lose out, but he's wrong to threaten to withdraw from a competition. As Pep would say "it is what it is" (tranlates as I'm not <deleted>  happy as it stinks but lets get on with it).

3 hours ago, wilai said:

We already have to re-arrange the West Ham game although this can take place towards the end of the season

Typical. No consideration of how that will impact on our Champions League push. 

????

4 minutes ago, hackjam said:

How did Irish keeper do last night?

Not too bad mate. Needs to get a bit more power behind his 'push outs' as a couple of goals were rebounds. Highlight was penalty save in shoot out. Is very promising,,,,,,,,but many young keepers are!

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Poor old Adrian, gone from all to nothing. 

To be fair to the young lad he started in the previous match as did other youngsters and did a great job. I reckon Adrian would have been aware of his position before he came to Liverpool in this regard. Likely Adrian will be the FA Cup keeper.

All proper Liverpool fans believe he is very much part of this team and loved already for what he has done. He is a worthy number one. 

Didn't play at all well (not helped by our mate Atkinson on VAR duty!)☹️ against a Villa side who worked their socks off but true grit got us through in the end. 'Resting' Fabinho didn't cost us fortunately. Roll on next week

What a game from Mane! Missed chances, assisted the 'VAR' goal. Foiled by a cracking Heaton 'star jump'. Booked for a dive (his foot was trodden on but he's pulled that trick 3 times lately so can't complain really) and he still came back for more. Great assist for Robbo then a sublime header for the winner. Really outshining Mo this year.

In other news, an under strength <23s won the mini derby 2-1. Gallagher and a certain H Kane with the goals. About time they started winning!

Onside or offside. Armpit or knee offside. It's way too difficult currently.

The offside law states that a player is in an offside position if any of their body parts, except the hands and arms, are in the opponents' half of the pitch, and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent.

Change it to the following which will make it easier to judge if onside or offside, and if unclear if onside or offside then rule its onside (i.e. give the advantage to the attacking team as we want to see goals):

a player is in an offside position if the position of the player's head, is in the opponents' half of the pitch, and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the

position of the head of the second-last opponent.

Chris Kamara on 'Goals on Sunday' re: Firmino's 'goal' yesterday...'this has been made up by somebody at Stockley Park who has decided they don't want this to be a goal'...'somebody has decided that and they should be outed because that is not offside'.

Let's hope so!

Archived