The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, wilai said:

Very good spot Bob. Shame VAR didn't step in. Ref watch might be interesting on Monday. I wonder if Stephen Warnock is on #twitter? Might send him a message????

I know quick free kicks have always been legit but you'd have thought a ref would allow a keeper who had just come on, time to sort things out. Dunk admitted after the game that he asked AM whether he could take it, AM told him "yes" and blew his whistle as he kicked the ball....all the while looking at Adrian and knowing he was well out of position. Like I said, probably a legit decision technically but certainly not a fair application of the laws....but then I wouldn't expect Atkinson to be fair where we are concerned.

Anyway we found yet another bizarre way to win 2-1 so no harm done (apart from losing me VVD's clean sheet points in FPL).????

@StephenWarnock3 offical

Agree re quick free kicks being legit, but as you say proper <deleted>housery from Atkinson. 

It is bizarre, it is bizarre to watch sometimes, feels completely like going through the motions, not even having to expend the pressing energy of seasons gone. Surely a loss is imminent, but you can't see it in the league.

I reckon we are going out to Salzburg in CL, getting a draw there without Fabinho is a tall order, they are very good. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

I reckon we are going out to Salzburg in CL, getting a draw there without Fabinho is a tall order, they are very good. 

Am more hopeful than you although Salzburg are a very good side and it won't be easy. But when needed we can rise to the occasion now....Bayern away last year being an example.

Ballon D'Or rankings have been leaked allegedly. Not good news for VVD as he is only second behind Messi. However, Salah beat Ronaldo for third and Mane/Alisson were 5th/6th. Messi was made favourite a week ago so they could be correct.

10 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

,???? It should have been an indirect free kick to us as they had a man in the wall.

Martin Atkinson doing his best AGAIN to foil us. Such a <deleted>house. He's on VAR for the Derby next week. ????

Here's the proof. On #twatter now????

EKp5qaQX0AAEEHq?format=jpg&name=small

On 12/1/2019 at 12:10 PM, wilai said:
On 12/1/2019 at 11:06 AM, BangrakBob said:

It should have been an indirect free kick to us as they had a man in the wall.

Martin Atkinson doing his best AGAIN to foil us. Such a <deleted>house. He's on VAR for the Derby next week. ????

Very good spot Bob. Shame VAR didn't step in. Ref watch might be interesting on Monday.

Gallagher tried to defend the cheat but even he gave way in the end and agreed the law wasn't applied. Fair play to Rob Wotton who didn't let him waffle his way out of it!????

16 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The wall was not the required distance away. At best 8 metres. 

Can you not see the line drawn by the ref mate? They are behind it. Have another look above. 

Just in... Here is Keith Hackett's (former ref and ex boss of PGMO) take on it.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-brighton-goal-var-disallowed-17348387

28 minutes ago, wilai said:

Can you not see the line drawn by the ref mate? They are behind it. Have another look above. 

The law says all oposing players have to be 10 yards from the ball. The liverpool player to the right in the pic is only 8 yards away.

24 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The liverpool player to the right in the pic is only 8 yards away.

Not sure how you could measure it that accurately from a pic taken from an angle but if true, you therefore agree that the kick should have been re-taken.

1. I haven't seen Rob Wotton n Dermot but here's Dermot's Ref Watch:

INCIDENT: Lewis Dunk takes a quick free-kick while Liverpool goalkeeper Adrian is at his left post arranging his wall. Martin Atkinson is the referee.

DERMOT SAYS: I think Lewis Dunk is very clever - he's seen Adrian on his post, and has said to Martin Atkinson: 'I want a go.' If you see Martin, he moves away, whistles, indicates he can take the free-kick, and they score. It's within the law and it is clever.

2. As for the 1m rule, here's the accompanying explanation to the new law. Think Atkinson has ruled that the Brighton players are far enough away and to the side of the wall not be gaining an advantage and their presence is within the spirit  of the game.

Screenshot_2019-12-02-21-28-33.png

^ You've posted an abridged version of the 'Ref Watch' debate (Wooton is the presenter to whom Gallagher was speaking to btw). When pressed about attackers must be a yard away, Dermot agreed that they were not. As posting only half of the conversation is not helpful, I'd be interested to see where you found your quote if you didn't see the program?

19 minutes ago, wilai said:

^ You've posted an abridged version of the 'Ref Watch' debate (Wooton is the presenter to whom Gallagher was speaking to btw). When pressed about attackers must be a yard away, Dermot agreed that they were not. Posting only half of the conversation is not helpful.

Not guilty as accused. I copied the FULL text from here

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11876375/ref-watch-sympathy-with-var-over-saints-goal-but-no-red-for-fernandinho

Feel free to post the link to the full text.

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Not guilty as accused. I copied the FULL text from here

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11876375/ref-watch-sympathy-with-var-over-saints-goal-but-no-red-for-fernandinho

Feel free to post the link to the full text.

was adding that question when you posted. Will look now. Ta

Bloody Sky! Only giving half the picture. I watched the program itself. Just looking again on catch up for the wording and will post below.

Wooton quotes the law (relating to 1 metre) and asks Dermot whether it should apply...Dermot firstly argues that they were not in the wall itself. Wooton replays the incident and repeats the assertion that they were less than a yard away. "The law is the law" says Wooton and Dermot finally says "You're right Rob"

To the letter of the law, the Brighton players didn't look 1m away, so yes the goal could have been disallowed, but come on, were they affecting play or gaining an advantage, had the teams been reversed and liverpool had scored that would you have wanted it disallowed? I doubt it. I think Atkinson rightly applied the spirit of the game and allowed it.

Too many goals are being disallowed for trivial offenses. We want goals in games but now when goals are scored it almost  seems like how can we disallow it. Sad days for football currently with too many stupid rules (handball in particular).

51 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

To the letter of the law, the Brighton players didn't look 1m away, so yes the goal could have been disallowed, but come on, were they affecting play or gaining an advantage, had the teams been reversed and liverpool had scored that would you have wanted it disallowed? I doubt it. I think Atkinson rightly applied the spirit of the game and allowed it.

Too many goals are being disallowed for trivial offenses. We want goals in games but now when goals are scored it almost  seems like how can we disallow it. Sad days for football currently with too many stupid rules (handball in particular).

I agree that the new handball rules leave a lot to be desired and will hopefully be amended soon. But whilst they are there referees should adhere to them. And as for Atkinson applying the spirit of the game? Best I've heard in quite a while....you've really cheered up my morning. Thanks????

Shame that VVD (as leaked last week) didn't win the Ballon D'or but on the bright side, LFC had 4 players in the top seven .with Mane, Salah and Alisson all being placed and it is a team game after all. Alisson also picked up the inaugural Yashin Award for Best Keeper.????

30 minutes ago, wilai said:

Got the trickies in FA Cup 3rd round....Not much rest for the first XI then. Good to see Citeh have their usual toughie. I hear Port Vale are a handful!????

I reckon we should play the kids, we will still win 

Been lots of rumours about Sancho over the past few weeks and given that Nike are now our sponsors and that they normally like to announce these sponsorships in a big way, it wouldn't surprise me if something happens in the Summer if not in January.

Wouldn't be cheap but Nike have, in the past, been involved in 'assisting' negotiations for clients....and Sancho is of course a Nike client himself. Just putting it out there????

Mbappe is also a Nike client but even I couldn't hope for that much.....could I?

4 hours ago, wilai said:

And as for Atkinson applying the spirit of the game? Best I've heard in quite a while....you've really cheered up my morning

...and this one of yours made me laugh ????

"Very good spot Bob. Shame VAR didn't step in. Ref watch might be interesting on Monday. I wonder if Stephen Warnock is on #twitter? Might send him a message????"

5 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

...and this one of yours made me laugh ????

"Very good spot Bob. Shame VAR didn't step in. Ref watch might be interesting on Monday. I wonder if Stephen Warnock is on #twitter? Might send him a message????"

Unfortunately Warnock and his tricky blue 'girlfriend' had the evening off....they were replaced by a cardboard cut out called Alan Smith! That's why it was left to Wooton to take Dermot to task. Pity!

Best youngsters off to Qatar as well by the looks of things. Looks like it will be Villa's easiest game of the season in League Cup QF. Bloody canteen girls might get a game for us!☹️ Unless half the squad play Villa and fly out for the 2nd game.????

Liverpool FIFA Club World Cup squad: Alisson, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Milner, Keita, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gomez, Adrian, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Lonergan, Shaqiri, Brewster, Robertson, Origi, Jones, Alexander-Arnold, Elliott, Williams.

Another manager gets the bullet after a round with Klopp. Those goals were just incredible, but The Ev were pretty awful and still managed to carve us up twice.

Nice to see reserves getting a run and stepping up tp the plate. 

Seems strange but I still feel like we are not playing that well nearly every match, but we have the most incredible run I've witnessed or actually remember. 

On 8/28/2019 at 8:55 PM, wilai said:

Truly astonishing stuff!????☹️

Duncan's agent has (allegedly) gone straight to #twatter with this.

Agent has been banned for 6 weeks and fined 10 grand by the FA for Bring the Game into Disrepute for the above comments. Not much of a punishment!

1 hour ago, wilai said:

Agent has been banned for 6 weeks and fined 10 grand by the FA for Bring the Game into Disrepute for the above comments. Not much of a punishment!

How could this have happened and so soon?

Bobby's coming home: I remember all in the liverpool camp were over the (blue) moon when he jumped ship from City just 18 months ago. Very strange the way he's been frozen out (if you believe his side of the story).

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

How could this have happened and so soon?

Bobby's coming home: I remember all in the liverpool camp were over the (blue) moon when he jumped ship from City just 18 months ago. Very strange the way he's been frozen out (if you believe his side of the story).

So soon? It happened in August...... I've no problem with Duncan and hope he succeeds in Italy. (Is still playing with the kids tho'). Patience obviously isn't his strong suit. It was the behaviour of his agent and the manner of his emotive accusations that left a sour taste. I doubt his punishment will have much effect on his business though.

Archived